Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Smoking Tire Spyder Comparison - SRS v. GT v. DeMan

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2024 | 02:15 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Not exactly a shocker of a video, but either way all stands true. At the end of the day I am happy with my car in fairly stock form, and if I am being totally honest, I probably would also have been happy keeping it bone stock. Nonetheless I think the GTS/ Non RS spyder can do with a few mods. For me I think the Kline exhaust was a total game changer, because it makes this car sound like a GT3 mixed with a 981 GTS/Spyder. Throw on the GT4 short shifter, some wider stickier rubber from a gt4 and call it a day! It is nice to know that there is a 718 platform for everyone!
The following users liked this post:
Zakato70 (Yesterday)
Old 10-07-2024 | 02:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think it was a very balanced review of how the Spyders are different, and not about which is best but more specifically that there is a version for every taste.

And I think like anybody it is perfectly normal for him to have his favorite, just like we all do, with no wrong choice, just 'your choice'.
The following 6 users liked this post by Westcoast:
JAhmed (10-07-2024), Mike981S (Today), OKCabriolet (Yesterday), Rick DeMan (Yesterday), Todd C (Yesterday), Zakato70 (Yesterday) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2024 | 02:51 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

I am happy with the SRS, bone stock. My GT spyder definitely would have been a candidate for shorter gearing after warranty was up, but it definitely didn't ruin the car, by any stretch. And the (Soul) OAPs were needed (but enough, IMO). I was happy with the power, TBH.

Caveat: Seat tilt risers for the buckets, if you are going to wear a helmet much, but that's a nit, and true of all the variants, of course.

As I expected, we already knew everything he was going to say; he's said it all before.

Last edited by Adrift; 10-07-2024 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2024 | 04:50 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

$180,000 is a little optimistic for the pink converted version (he raised it to $185,000 at the end), and finding a 2023 with 3,700 miles for $125,000 is going tough. Value wise those cars should be closer together.
Old 10-07-2024 | 04:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I thought he was indicating that the number for his Spyder was what it cost to get it to as tested, original cost of the car plus the mods he had done.
Old 10-07-2024 | 05:10 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

IMO, a Spyder with shorter ratios, Kline, and tune of 440HP, would be perfection.
I also think the Spyder looks best vs SRS. All the RS cosmetics and aero on SRS, seem to detract from the classic look.
The following 9 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
AWDman (10-07-2024), BoxKing (10-07-2024), Cougarav8r (Yesterday), GTSPYDER23 (10-07-2024), Henry I. (Today), JAhmed (10-07-2024), LA VIDA (10-07-2024), revcon (10-07-2024), UncleDude (10-07-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2024 | 05:23 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I thought he was indicating that the number for his Spyder was what it cost to get it to as tested, original cost of the car plus the mods he had done.
He stated the prices as what these cars can be "had" for but maybe he meant otherwise. Since the regular Spyders are done and the DeMan conversion hasn't shown to add measurable value there shouldn't be much difference between those two.
Old 10-07-2024 | 05:28 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by clutchplate
He stated the prices as what these cars can be "had" for but maybe he meant otherwise. Since the regular Spyders are done and the DeMan conversion hasn't shown to add measurable value there shouldn't be much difference between those two.
An at sticker an SRS can be had for less than $185K, mine with some nice options was right around that price point so all in really not much different than what he did with his Deman. Problem with the Deman is getting the engine fixed if something goes wrong, you are not going back to the dealer for that fix...
Old 10-07-2024 | 05:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
An at sticker an SRS can be had for less than $185K, mine with some nice options was right around that price point so all in really not much different than what he did with his Deman. Problem with the Deman is getting the engine fixed if something goes wrong, you are not going back to the dealer for that fix...
Fixing a broken engine, is just that, no one would expect the Porsche dealer to repair a DeMan engine, but if an engine fails in the SRS and it is not a warranty claim, the costs could be similar. And I bet Rick could repair the SRS engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Mike981S (Today), Rick DeMan (Yesterday)
Old 10-07-2024 | 05:51 PM
ISPYA718
Burning Brakes

AGREE - that is why I think all the cars are a “quid pro quo”. It’s something for something. Some sort of compromise- like every vehicle ever made. None of them are perfect, including all 3 spyders. And as he so saliently summed up at the end, are only perfect for each individual- or why would you keep it. From my point of view - regular Spyder - you want that GT3 Motorsport engine. RS - for some die hard 3rd pedlars -like me, aw no manual option. For the Deman option, no longer an Original Porsche engine - modified/hot rod as Matt pointed out more than once.

In the end, they are all brilliant cars in their own right. You should buy the one that ticks the most important boxes for you. I thought it was a well done, fair video and a conclusion I would concur with.
The following 4 users liked this post by ISPYA718:
JAhmed (10-07-2024), Mike981S (Today), Rick DeMan (Yesterday), UncleDude (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 06:11 PM
RedCarrot
Rennlist Member

I couldn't get a Spyder allocation before its production ended. If I did, I would have been content with it after a gearing upgrade, OAP, and perhaps a tune. The dilemma though would be deciding between losing much of the warranty or delaying the gratification for 4 years until warranty naturally ended. The 4.5L engine/exhaust sound in that video doesn't do it for me; future servicing of this engine will also be a hassle.

The decision was made for me when I later got a Spyder RS allocation at MSRP. I didn't go nuts on the option boxes and it came to a "reasonable" $180K sticker price, or about $50K more than a similarly spec'ed Spyder had I gotten an allocation. Many people like to check every boxes on their theoretical SRS build only to later complain that it's overpriced or it's priced x multiple of the regular Spyder. If one thinks it's overpriced compared to a regular Spyder, then don't check those boxes that are not even available on the regular Spyder to begin with (i.e. WP, mag wheels, etc.). I have seen regular Spyder CXX builds that totalled higher than my SRS build - it would be silly to say regular Spyder is overpriced compared to RS based on those build prices.

Old 10-07-2024 | 06:53 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

At $185k or less then SRS all day every day.
Old 10-07-2024 | 07:34 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

At $185k or less then SRS all day every day.
What about GT4/Spyder at 120k ?

One could make the argument they are both bargains (or overpriced).

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 10-07-2024 | 08:00 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Le Petit Garage
What about GT4/Spyder at 120k ?

One could make the argument they are both bargains (or overpriced).
That's what I chose as an SRS in my area is unobtanium for $185k. San Diego has one for $289k plus tax so over $300k out the door. I'd rather buy something red from Italy at that price or keep the Spyder and add a Lotus.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
GTSPYDER23 (Yesterday), RDCR (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 09:01 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

That's what I chose as an SRS in my area is unobtanium for $185k. San Diego has one for $289k plus tax so over $300k out the door. I'd rather buy something red from Italy at that price or keep the Spyder and add a Lotus.
I'd say building an SRS clone with the Deman motor upgrade for anywhere near $185K is unobtanium as well. It would be smart to leave the Spyder alone as you point out and wait for the prices to settle for the SRS.

Quick Reply: Smoking Tire Spyder Comparison - SRS v. GT v. DeMan