Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

APR tune for Spyder - pops and burbles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024 | 04:33 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

how do you know it's underwhelming if you don;t drive fast and never done a 100-200 pull lol You claim stuff with nothing to back it up with. Maybe the Softronic tune was faster just smoother so less kick you won;t know as you have not tested either. without running 100-200 you really have no reason to mouth off about a bad tune imo.
Old 09-19-2024 | 04:47 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikedee
Have you posted a 100-200 Run you would like to compare? Where's that post? I have APR 4L 100-200 runs..
post away why say this then don;t post the time ? I have a few stock times on my Spyder and GTS and 4RS. My GTS is way faster than Porsche claim.

I know one tuner got 8.9 stock and 8.1 with his tune, my GTS does 8.7 out the box.

that would put me 2nd in stock form but the fastest time is down hill and wit ha GT4 so more BHP.

Official Dragy Leaderboard. How fast is your NA 718? - Page 16 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 09-19-2024 | 09:59 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
how do you know it's underwhelming if you don;t drive fast and never done a 100-200 pull lol You claim stuff with nothing to back it up with. Maybe the Softronic tune was faster just smoother so less kick you won;t know as you have not tested either. without running 100-200 you really have no reason to mouth off about a bad tune imo.
Dude, an ECU tune and street drag racing is not going to solve your penile-inadequacy issue. Normal people don’t have to act junenile to be happy with one tune and less impressed with another. Life and car enthusiam is not a zero sum game.

Stop acting like a toxic anti-APR troll by high-jacking a APR-focused thread complaining about cost and shouting drag-racing non-sense. People don’t buy Porsches to act like Dodge Charger idiots. Grow up.

Last edited by mc3456; 09-19-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 10:31 AM
mikedee
Advanced

post away why say this then don;t post the time ? I have a few stock times on my Spyder and GTS and 4RS. My GTS is way faster than Porsche claim.

I know one tuner got 8.9 stock and 8.1 with his tune, my GTS does 8.7 out the box.

that would put me 2nd in stock form but the fastest time is down hill and wit ha GT4 so more BHP.

Official Dragy Leaderboard. How fast is your NA 718? - Page 16 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

So you don't have a stock vs Softronic 100-200 run ? You claimed you run 100-200 on everything, so I'm asking you to post it.
Then you said no-one has APR. I'm telling you I'm here, have APR and 100-200's. (Before and After) So lets see your Softronic 100-200 before and after.
In your words "I think you are claiming nothing as you have nothing to show ! just talk" if not, Show me what you got !
Old 09-19-2024 | 12:32 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

So you don't have a stock vs Softronic 100-200 run ? You claimed you run 100-200 on everything, so I'm asking you to post it.
Then you said no-one has APR. I'm telling you I'm here, have APR and 100-200's. (Before and After) So lets see your Softronic 100-200 before and after.
In your words "I think you are claiming nothing as you have nothing to show ! just talk" if not, Show me what you got !
I have had Softronic in the past no issues what so ever. The bashing to this company is one person when Scott has sold thousands of tunes, it's dull and no back up to prove it's rubbish. it's been going on for what over a year !

I don't have any tune on my GTS I would like to see peoples pulls if they are slaging off companies how much slower it is as I have not made my choice yet, I ruled out APR due to cost but if it's fast I might take note.. But the one owner who has one says he don't drive his car fast enough ! his words. You on the other hand well I have no words why the secret ? it's like the APR gang but no no has any data they want to share. mc3456 is talking out his **** you are getting there.

I posted my stock time, I know the tuners I was going to use times stock vs tuned stage 1 and I posted those also , I want to see the Softronic time vs APR time from mc3456, but he cannot do it. So you say you have a APR time with before and after , but seem scared to post it and just going off one one for no reason, is this the APR effect, it's odd.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 09-19-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2024 | 12:53 PM
Higgs Boson
Advanced

I have had Softronic in the past no issues what so ever. The bashing to this company is one person when Scott has sold thousands of tunes, it's dull and no back up to prove it's rubbish. it's been going on for what over a year !

I don't have any tune on my GTS I would like to see peoples pulls if they are slaging off companies how much slower it is as I have not made my choice yet, I ruled out APR due to cost but if it's fast I might take note.. But the one owner who has one says he don't drive his car fast enough ! his words. You on the other hand well I have no words why the secret ? it's like the APR gang but no no has any data they want to share. mc3456 is talking out his **** you are getting there.

I posted my stock time, I know the tuners I was going to use times stock vs tuned stage 1 and I posted those also , I want to see the Softronic time vs APR time from mc3456, but he cannot do it. So you say you have a APR time with before and after , but seem scared to post it and just going off one one for no reason, is this the APR effect, it's odd.
Sorry, I am not a big enough dork to time myself doing pulls on public roads, I am well past that point in my life. Two kids and a wife that rely on me, those days are over, it's just about driving pleasure now. I spent many years calibrating customers' cars and building several personal 1000+ HP cars and racing NHRA and IHRA Super Stock cars for 20+ years so let's not pretend I am some old fart puttering around, my interests and risk tolerance have just changed. Occasionally I will go out on a Sunday morning for a hill country run and be able to notice more details about the differences but it's not my priority to do that ASAP for people on the internet to either sell someone else's tune or crap on another's. I have no dog in this fight so I'd rather you not refer to my posts again in this regard.

I did fill her up with E85 today and flashed APR Ethanol tune and there's another large step up in power and responsiveness, as expected. This is one of the main reasons I went with APR over Softronic (or others) so I have a valid reason. And $1000 price difference to get multiple tunes vs one is not really something that registers with me as a bad deal or registers to my bank account as cost prohibitive. It's a small fraction of what my JCR exhaust cost and a drop in the ocean compared to what I have happily wasted on modifications in my life.
The following 3 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
BoxKing (09-23-2024), mc3456 (09-19-2024), mikedee (09-20-2024)
Old 09-19-2024 | 01:21 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Mark Twain once said: “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”. Clearly, you are not much of a reader!

Your response is by the far the funniest I think I have ever read on any car forum, and that my friend, is quite a high bar to exceed. Thx for the laugh! 😂🤣😂
The following users liked this post:
F1Live (09-21-2024)
Old 09-22-2024 | 10:06 PM
lilbza
Pro

I have no dog in this fight, but why not share this info?

There's a lot of people sitting on the fence about getting the APR tune because there's only a couple of reviews on this sub forum for these 4.0L engines, and it's all "butt dyno" talk.
Old 09-23-2024 | 09:50 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

From all that I gathered with regards to the differences between tunes, without going into the add-ons each tune offers is that most ppl who have had Softronics, and moved onto either APR/M.E. have preferred APR/M.E. No one has decided to go to a dyno to pull on their Softronic tune, then APR/M.E. back to back, so all the chit-chat is from a butt dyno. I presume the tunes all land ~ the same HP/TQ numbers on a stock 4.0 platform. The differences seem to be on the perceived delivery of power throughout the power band, so its not how much more HP (or equal) that one tuner makes, but how they got there.

Tuners that offer Stage 1 & 2 appeal more to me. They seem to address separate OTS tunes with supporting mods, while some offering to send in data logs to further tweak the tune.

An OEM+ exhaust note is all that I'd want, and whatever comes from my current setup. Burble tunes are for high school kids, and clowns.

Last edited by BoxKing; 09-23-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2024 | 04:28 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lilbza

There's a lot of people sitting on the fence about getting the APR tune because there's only a couple of reviews on this sub forum for these 4.0L engines, and it's all "butt dyno" talk.
prob paid for by APR and they don’t have the data just sales talk. Sad pair of APR aggressive owners imo, very odd. Puts people off even more.
Old 09-23-2024 | 04:52 PM
Higgs Boson
Advanced

prob paid for by APR and they don’t have the data just sales talk. Sad pair of APR aggressive owners imo, very odd. Puts people off even more.
You should reread the thread. OP asked about burbles in APR tune, you are the first reply calling APR overpriced. You don't even need to be here.

As for a "pair" of "aggressive" APR owners, again, you are projecting your misplaced anger onto this thread. I haven't personally said one word about Softronic, only that I like my APR tune for one reason, they offer something Softronic and the others do not. That's not being aggressive.
Old 09-23-2024 | 08:55 PM
neteng101
Instructor

Can someone with APR tell me what options you see via Ultralink if you're using it? Curious what options are available for customization besides different octane tunes. Pops/burbles vs. no pops/burbles? Different levels of rev limiter over stock? Valves fully open or can you customize different RPMs from stock for valves to open?
Old 09-23-2024 | 09:17 PM
Higgs Boson
Advanced

Originally Posted by neteng101
Can someone with APR tell me what options you see via Ultralink if you're using it? Curious what options are available for customization besides different octane tunes. Pops/burbles vs. no pops/burbles? Different levels of rev limiter over stock? Valves fully open or can you customize different RPMs from stock for valves to open?
no you just choose what fuel/octane you're using. the rest is something they can configure by request, the ultralink is not like a bootmod3 or localized custom flash tool, it is simply a device that connects your car to APR online tune repository (which is only tied to your ECM/OS). the flash is done from online through a web browser.
neteng101 (09-23-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 10:06 AM
mikedee
Advanced

Originally Posted by lilbza

I'm still gathering more info/runs. call it a science project with different modifications on each run. it takes time. I just have some of that info currently.
lilbza (09-25-2024)
Old 09-25-2024 | 12:39 PM
Higgs Boson
Advanced

Originally Posted by neteng101
I am also going to go back a little and say maybe the APR tune did not add any extra pops and burbles. If there are some in the stock tune it's probably unchanged. The only time theres a little burble (not what I would call a pop, lol) is when I release the gas to shift and it's pretty subtle even with JCR exhaust and OAPs. It sounds good, not like an AMG and the like that gurgle and pop for 5 seconds during decel, it does not do that.

Quick Reply: APR tune for Spyder - pops and burbles?