Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Welp… I need a back seat.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2024, 01:47 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

3rd car is the correct answer

Otherwise, CT5V BW is awesome.
The following users liked this post:
DP8 (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:19 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 825 Likes on 441 Posts

Don't sell it if you love it.

1 child is EASY to manage/figure out. I have 3 year old twins and a 6 year old. I know the feeling with the 1st child that you have to get everything right, in place and perfect etc... as long as you have one car that works then don't worry. There are PLENTY of families out there with kids that only have a single vehicle. If you need - add an inexpensive 3rd vehicle. Find a nice used GTI or Golf R or 3 series or whatever. Before you know it, your kid will be big enough to ride in the P-Car with daddy!
The following users liked this post:
sbsurfer (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 05:57 PM
Higgs Boson
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Be aware that while the kid is small you will need them in rear facing car seats. We had a Macan and a RR Sport, even a Tahoe and they were too small to accomodate a rear facing seat without folding the front seat(s) up into an unmanageable driving/seating position.

I would recommend something with 38+ inches of rear seat legroom so you're looking at X5, pickups, toyota grand highlander type vehicles. Unless you're 5'2, small sedans or smallish SUVs are going to suck and you'll hate life for 2-3 years until they are big enough. Go buy a rear facing car seat now and test fit it with your options and see what will work before you buy something you will regret.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:45 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 572 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Be aware that while the kid is small you will need them in rear facing car seats. We had a Macan and a RR Sport, even a Tahoe and they were too small to accomodate a rear facing seat without folding the front seat(s) up into an unmanageable driving/seating position.

I would recommend something with 38+ inches of rear seat legroom so you're looking at X5, pickups, toyota grand highlander type vehicles. Unless you're 5'2, small sedans or smallish SUVs are going to suck and you'll hate life for 2-3 years until they are big enough. Go buy a rear facing car seat now and test fit it with your options and see what will work before you buy something you will regret.

This is good advice, we fit a rear facing car seat in a 1st Gen Honda Fit behind me and now our child is rear facing in a new wrx (also behind me). Maybe we have a smaller rear facing car seat, but you def need to think about that.

Also naturally you’re going to drive a lot “safer” with your kid in the car, especially when they’re so teeny. I might as well have a minivan because I drive my wrx like a grandma.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 07-09-2024, 10:05 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 353 Posts

I would buy a utilitarian used vehicle beater as a 3rd vehicle. Pickup truck, minivan, something like that.
Old 07-09-2024, 10:15 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

I sold my 997 when my first baby arrived. I ended up getting a Gulf R which I found lacking. I then got Giulia QV which was a an amazing car but I missed the manual and ended up in a 981 Spyder and then a 718 Spyder which eas designed with the help of my four-year-old. For kid duties, we have a XC90 T8 and an Audi A6 as well as a beater Subaru. Yes, the Spyder is redundant but if I can, I'm holding on to it and my eldest is now seven and rides with me when it is just the two of us.

If you really want a fast, fun sedan, I would look at some of the Blackwing models. They come in a manual and are fast and fun and still ride very well. I have never owned a Cadillac product but their current lineup is tempting.
Old 07-10-2024, 12:02 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,076 Likes on 535 Posts

If you replace the 718, the M2 is closest 4 seater in terms of an everyday sportscar...perhaps used F87 M2 better than G87.
Old 07-10-2024, 02:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,047 Posts

CPO 991 PDK.

or… see ya in 20 years ‘cause if you give up your fun car now you won’t get another one until the rug rats are in, or out, of college.
Old 07-10-2024, 06:04 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark718
Your wife sure seems to be the one who puts down the rules 🥲.

Do you have buckets in the GTS 4.0 or what stops you from putting a childseat on the front seat when you’re alone with the baby and have to take off?

If I was in your shoes, I’d really think through if her arguments are valid or she’s just dictating things. You, selling a sportscar you love, (assuming here) is a sacrifice as well, and she should try to make it work in a way that you remain happy and satisified as well. I wouldn’t want my fiancee to learn how to drive the stick with my Porsche, but she better be willing if I say so lol.

If you love the NA aspect of your 718, but need rear seats, I’d probably look at LC500. Not the same nimble mid-engined car as 718, but has rear seats, looks gorgeous, has a 5L NA V8, and it’s a Lexus so it’s classy and will never let you down. I had a GS F and loved it.

If you like Porsches, 911 is an easy and always great choice.
yes, lets put a newborn into a front facing car seat in a sports car, not illegal or anything

Quick Reply: Welp… I need a back seat.