Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

"New" High Gloss Black Option for Sport Design Package for GTS 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 11:17 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts
Default "New" High Gloss Black Option for Sport Design Package for GTS 4.0?

I was doing some more configurations on the Porsche US site for my future Cayman GTS 4.0 order, and noticed something new. There is now a "SportDesign Package in High Gloss Black" option that I am fairly certain has not been there previously.

Of course the GTS 4.0s have the SportDesign package as standard, but this makes the Front, Rear and Side Vent Black bits High Gloss Black instead of the standard Matte Black.

I am not sure I love it (especially since I just ordered outrageously expensive Satin Black HRE Wheels, they just shipped yesterday). But the one thing that intrigues me about it is the fact that I get a lot of bugs driving my country roads, and cleaning them off the Matte Black bits on the front is a lot tougher than cleaning them off the painted parts, which has a full XPEL Ultimate PPF treatment. It seems to me that with the High Gloss Black it would be easier to clean the bugs off, and potentially those areas could be PPFed.

What do you guys think? I think the least attractive view is the back, it seems odd to see that in High Gloss Black. But it does seem to "pop" visually against Carmine Red, which I am now leaning toward, versus GT Silver.

Maybe it would be better solution to just find a better cleaning method/product for the bugs on the Matte Black front fascia.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 11:36 AM
Randy_B
Racer

Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

I don't like it personally. It will be much less forgiving when scrubbing bugs off of it than the bare matte plastic. It looks really out of place on the rear for some reason as you noted.
IL_Pete (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 11:49 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I noticed it a few weeks ago too. It was not there before my build locked in July, I'm not a fan of it as your said for the same reason... The matte looks a bit more stealthy and proper. In sure alone folks will go with it and nothing wrong with that.
IL_Pete (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

If they came out with it for the Spyder I would get it, especially the front spoiler lip and rear diffuser...I might just have them painted actually as I am not a fan of the flat Black look.
IL_Pete (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 01:43 PM
Strazzg
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
I was doing some more configurations on the Porsche US site for my future Cayman GTS 4.0 order, and noticed something new. There is now a "SportDesign Package in High Gloss Black" option that I am fairly certain has not been there previously.

Of course the GTS 4.0s have the SportDesign package as standard, but this makes the Front, Rear and Side Vent Black bits High Gloss Black instead of the standard Matte Black.

I am not sure I love it (especially since I just ordered outrageously expensive Satin Black HRE Wheels, they just shipped yesterday). But the one thing that intrigues me about it is the fact that I get a lot of bugs driving my country roads, and cleaning them off the Matte Black bits on the front is a lot tougher than cleaning them off the painted parts, which has a full XPEL Ultimate PPF treatment. It seems to me that with the High Gloss Black it would be easier to clean the bugs off, and potentially those areas could be PPFed.

What do you guys think? I think the least attractive view is the back, it seems odd to see that in High Gloss Black. But it does seem to "pop" visually against Carmine Red, which I am now leaning toward, versus GT Silver.

Maybe it would be better solution to just find a better cleaning method/product for the bugs on the Matte Black front fascia.

This pic show a comparison of high gloss (boxster S on the left) versus matte (gts) sport design front. Both cars are chalk so it helps with the comparison.
The following 3 users liked this post by Strazzg:
IL_Pete (09-28-2021), Randy_B (09-28-2021), T i h o r (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 02:25 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

For me, the matte seems like the premium option...but I can see it being highly dependent on the exterior color.
The following 3 users liked this post by Paiceyfan:
Alpha Ice (09-28-2021), IL_Pete (09-28-2021), UncleDude (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 02:47 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

I think it looks great with the carmine red looks classier IMO

IL_Pete (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 03:15 PM
md4dna
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 23 Posts

According to my SA, that option will be available for December build cars. I did think about adding it to my build sheet, but it was a no-go since my build date is in November.
IL_Pete (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Strazzg

This pic show a comparison of high gloss (boxster S on the left) versus matte (gts) sport design front. Both cars are chalk so it helps with the comparison.
Wow, thanks! Nothing better than a side by side comparison pic, terrific. (Well, with Carmine Red might have been absolutely perfect - LOL! )

I could go either way, I think they both look good.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!
Old 09-28-2021, 07:36 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,881 Likes on 785 Posts

Just more stuff to PPF IMO
Old 07-10-2024, 07:21 PM
Viktory09
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I got it on my allocation. When comparing the matte (plastic) with the gloss, I thought the gloss looked more premium in person. Yes, will be harder to maintain. I am getting it PPF'd and I usually wash my car every other week.
Old 07-10-2024, 07:59 PM
6IXSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 282 Posts

I vote gloss black. Looks much better than matte black body parts which give off cheap, unpainted body panel vibes IMO.

FWIW, my old man's 981 GTS in Carmine had the gloss black bits:

Viktory09 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 08:20 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktory09
I got it on my allocation. When comparing the matte (plastic) with the gloss, I thought the gloss looked more premium in person. Yes, will be harder to maintain. I am getting it PPF'd and I usually wash my car every other week.
GT cars seem to be matte. I personally don't like the gloss look. Looks less sport focused and more luxury/bling.
I wish manufacturers would stop using piano black finishes as terrible to maintain (e.g. B pillars in most 4 door cars). PPF would be tricky on those 718 sections too. From experience, PPF on gloss black looks tired after a year.
neteng101 (07-10-2024)

Quick Reply: "New" High Gloss Black Option for Sport Design Package for GTS 4.0?