Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

How many of you cross shopped the Spyder and GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 11:55 PM
skeeter714
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Didn't cross shop. Had a 718 Cayman S and never considered the GT4 - the Spyder was perfect. Wish I still had it.

Will be back in a 4.0 car this fall when my Cayman GTS arrives!
Old 06-17-2024, 12:08 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 828 Posts
Exclamation

Guys & Gals,

I rode Extremely High-Performance, Highly-Modified motorcycles for plus 30-Years I'm over doing that and also over the Spyder Convertibles.

I never even gave the Porsche Spyder a consideration.

I'm 79-Years Old now and when it rains I want a Hardtop like my 718 GT4.
When it's summertime and 100-Degrees I want windows up and A/C Blowing-Cold.

I also like the sound mine makes with it's New SOUL V2 rear-exhaust-system and SOUL ceramic-coated (Performance) OAP.
Plus the additional intake-sounds from the BMC Performance Intake Filters.

I also enjoy listening to the BOSE Sound-System.

I'm so set in my ways now guys I'll stick with my GT4 W/PDK.

A Very-very HAPPY Porsche Cayman 718 GT4 owner,
Terry Honaker
The following 3 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
josephr25 (06-17-2024), needmoregarage (06-17-2024), subwoofer (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 12:20 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by flaudia402
I did not know this! Thankyou for mentioning this. It is important since I have a toddler that loves going for car rides.
My 3 and a half year old sits in that. Since I have buckets, most seats were out of the question. He's not old enough and I'm not comfortable enough putting him in a little booster cushion either.
For reference, my little one is just over 100 cm tall.
​​
Old 06-17-2024, 01:18 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 629 Likes on 288 Posts

I wanted a Spyder but the ones available at the time did not have the options I wanted. And knowing about the allocation games (this is my first Porsche), and the fact that I found one of the last, best-specced Miami Blue GT4s out there, I chose the latter.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:33 PM
CaymanChris
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had my fill of convertibles and love the look of the GT4. When I want to be more in touch with the elements I just roll the window down.
tigerhonaker (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 03:10 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Well said.

And for me, Porsche does not make a convertible that I find attractive. I know I’m in the minority, but for me…the lines of all their convertibles (whether 911 or Cayman variant) are not elegant (top up or down - doesn’t matter to my eye). The convertible interrupts the line, and I don’t like the “humps” on the Spyder.

I think Porsche makes some of the most beautiful coupes available (whether 911 or Cayman variant).

The only thing of importance is whether you love the car you bought. To each their own.
In the eyes of the beholder. I am not at all a fan of the 911 convertible looks, and while the Boxster is okay, the Spyder to me, is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. I am not certain I understand what you mean in terms of the lines. I personally think the line of the humps allow for a very nice aesthetic "arch" flowing from front to back. I was originally going to buy a GT4, but when I saw pics of the Spyder, it was an easy decision.

needmoregarage (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 04:24 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,482 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
In the eyes of the beholder. I am not at all a fan of the 911 convertible looks, and while the Boxster is okay, the Spyder to me, is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. I am not certain I understand what you mean in terms of the lines. I personally think the line of the humps allow for a very nice aesthetic "arch" flowing from front to back. I was originally going to buy a GT4, but when I saw pics of the Spyder, it was an easy decision.
As I stated, I understand I’m likely in the minority. I have read many comments about how someone sees that 718 Spyder as the most beautiful vehicle available.

I cannot appreciate the lines of the “humps” and while I see what you mean (about the arch)…there’s too much “interruption” for my taste (the seat backs and rollover hoops). Especially when one compares the flowing lines of the coupe from nose to tail.

I mean zero disrespect to all those who love their Spyder, or the look of the Spyder. It’s a very personal preference and I’m simply stating my view. Whether the top is up or down, I just don’t like it. In addition, I don’t want a convertible these days.

Another factor: This may sound silly but having had several bouts of skin cancer including face, upper chest and scalp (on top of my head where I part my hair) - I prefer protection from the sun. Yes…I wear hats and sunblock but I can’t really enjoy a convertible as I understand the price of too much sun exposure. There’s direct exposure and then reflection, and you can protect against it but in a convertible there is quite a bit more exposure as opposed to a coupe (especially with UV ceramic tint on the windows and windows closed). I enjoy being outdoors and take precautions to protect against skin cancer, but when I’m in a car I like a roof overhead. I’m not a windows-down driver (typically) as I don’t like the wind noise. My preference is for the “cocoon” of a coupe.

I can understand how many folks prefer the Spyder and find it beautiful. I’m just not one of them.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:35 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,487 Likes on 828 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
As I stated, I understand I’m likely in the minority. I have read many comments about how someone sees that 718 Spyder as the most beautiful vehicle available.

I cannot appreciate the lines of the “humps” and while I see what you mean (about the arch)…there’s too much “interruption” for my taste (the seat backs and rollover hoops). Especially when one compares the flowing lines of the coupe from nose to tail.

I mean zero disrespect to all those who love their Spyder, or the look of the Spyder. It’s a very personal preference and I’m simply stating my view. Whether the top is up or down, I just don’t like it. In addition, I don’t want a convertible these days.

Another factor:
This may sound silly but having had several bouts of skin cancer including face, upper chest and scalp (on top of my head where I part my hair) -
I prefer protection from the sun.

Yes…I wear hats and sunblock but I can’t really enjoy a convertible as I understand the price of too much sun exposure. There’s direct exposure and then reflection, and you can protect against it but in a convertible there is quite a bit more exposure as opposed to a coupe (especially with UV ceramic tint on the windows and windows closed). I enjoy being outdoors and take precautions to protect against skin cancer, but when I’m in a car I like a roof overhead. I’m not a windows-down driver (typically) as I don’t like the wind noise. My preference is for the “cocoon” of a coupe.

I can understand how many folks prefer the Spyder and find it beautiful. I’m just not one of them.

Another factor:
This may sound silly but having had several bouts of skin cancer including face, upper chest and scalp (on top of my head where I part my hair) -
I prefer protection from the sun.
I can definitely relate to the above ^^^
I recently had two Skin-Cancer surgeries on my left-cheek and under my right ear.
A lot of stitches for both surgeries.
Took several months to get back to looking semi-normal for an old guy.

I'll stick with a hardtop, GT4 for this guy.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-17-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 05:04 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,357 Likes on 775 Posts

The Spyder has grown on me. I initially went for the GT4 because i thought it was the better looking car. It's definetly more race car than the Spyder and i like that a lot. But i saw a Spyder on the road this weekend and i have to say it was a massive head turner. Wasnt even a crazy color or anything, just a Chalk spyder but i thought it looked fantastic on the road. I also personally think the Boxster GTS with the top down is one of the best looking cars Porsche makes, for some reason it gives me Ferrari vibes from the front. If i had to do it again though i think i'd still choose GT4 over Spyder.
Old 06-17-2024, 05:40 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 915 Posts

Seems silly to cross shop the Spyder and the GT4. Either you want to convertible or you don't.

If you want a convertible then it seems like you're cross shopping a "regular" Boxster and a Boxster Spyder. It's the same car. One looks better and one has better convenience.....
The following 3 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
needmoregarage (06-17-2024), sunnyr (06-18-2024), tigerhonaker (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 06:14 PM
Henry I.
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never even considered the convertible and now I have a Spyder in my garage. This is coming from someone who doesn't even like sunroofs or driving with the windows down.
Wanted a 991.2 Carrera T or a GTS4.0 but decided to up the budget a little and started looking at GT4s. Found that the Spyder was around the same price range and found one in the color/build I wanted.
Always thought the Spyder was considerably more expensive than the GT4 and must've gotten confused with the Speedster pricing. I do love how the GT4s look but the Spyder does look more premium with flying buttresses with the top up and the double hump with the top down.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:16 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I don't think many people cross shop. You're either a hard top person or a soft top person.

Spyder is best looking car Porsche has built, IMHO. My usual joke is "the Italian intern snuck into the Porsche design studio and left a marked up boxster drawing (a la Good Will Hunting)"

Last edited by Adrift; 06-17-2024 at 06:20 PM.
Drifting (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 11:14 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 372 Posts

Never considered a hardtop in the 718. That would be the 911 for me. Convertible for me is Boxster with the power roof. No manual roof and no humps in the back. Any manual roof that requires me to get out of the car is a big fat NO. Good thing that Porsche makes all these variants for different tastes and offers a manual. No manual, no sale for me. I’m glad the Boxster exists with the 4 liter and even gladder that I managed to rope one last year and that too a special edition. Lucky old bastard I guess. Now if only the Kline would arrive….
Old 06-17-2024, 11:20 PM
VRShader
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
Never considered a hardtop in the 718. That would be the 911 for me. Convertible for me is Boxster with the power roof. No manual roof and no humps in the back. Any manual roof that requires me to get out of the car is a big fat NO. Good thing that Porsche makes all these variants for different tastes and offers a manual. No manual, no sale for me. I’m glad the Boxster exists with the 4 liter and even gladder that I managed to rope one last year and that too a special edition. Lucky old bastard I guess. Now if only the Kline would arrive….
With this Telescoping Extension Hook Pole in your spyder cockpit, you can open and close the top in your seat lool.

Old 06-18-2024, 12:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
With this Telescoping Extension Hook Pole in your spyder cockpit, you can open and close the top in your seat lool.

I am afraid to ask!

Quick Reply: How many of you cross shopped the Spyder and GT4?