Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Do aftermarket OAPs alter emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 10:15 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Do aftermarket OAPs alter emissions?

Being very late to the aftermarket exhaust scene, I am trying to understand the impact of changing various exhaust components besides sound. The OEM OPFs are secondary catalysts (from my understanding) meant to burn off accumulated /captured carbon particles. They are not monitored in the US but are in the ROW.

So, does removing them alter emissions and how? Not looking for a 'who cares just enjoy the sound' answer but has anyone measured them at a testing facility before and after removing the OEM OPFs? If yes, how much? I assume it will mainly impact the smog component and not CO2. If the matrix in the OPF in US cars is inert, I expect no change in exhaust emissions.

I would appreciate your insight for my curiosity.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
Being very late to the aftermarket exhaust scene, I am trying to understand the impact of changing various exhaust components besides sound. The OEM OPFs are secondary catalysts (from my understanding) meant to burn off accumulated /captured carbon particles. They are not monitored in the US but are in the ROW.

So, does removing them alter emissions and how? Not looking for a 'who cares just enjoy the sound' answer but has anyone measured them at a testing facility before and after removing the OEM OPFs? If yes, how much? I assume it will mainly impact the smog component and not CO2. If the matrix in the OPF in US cars is inert, I expect no change in exhaust emissions.

There is no active catalyst component to the OEM OAP in US and Canadian cars, the OAP does however have the ceramic matrix in there, so it does affect the sound.
The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 04:01 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 267 Posts

Not an answer to the question you are asking, but will say it anyway just for incremental (tangential) re-assurance: there are no issues on passing emissions with the Kline OAPs. Honestly have no explanation as to why the GPFs are even installed in the US since they are not actively monitored. Why even add more weight than necessary???
Old 06-04-2024, 04:07 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
Not an answer to the question you are asking, but will say it anyway just for incremental (tangential) re-assurance: there are no issues on passing emissions with the Kline OAPs. Honestly have no explanation as to why the GPFs are even installed in the US since they are not actively monitored. Why even add more weight than necessary???
So as to maintain the exhaust flow characteristics and sound of the vehicle as designed.
Old 06-04-2024, 04:19 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
Thanks. I wasn’t concerned about the Kline OAPs since so many have that exhaust without any issues. I can’t find any information about emissions with/without the OEM OAPs. Porsche doesn’t seem to disclose that.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:23 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Regarding the bolded portion above, this is NOT true of the OEM OAP's on US/Canada 718's, there is no catalytic coating.

Thanks. I wasn’t concerned about the Kline OAPs since so many have that exhaust without any issues. I can’t find any information about emissions with/without the OEM OAPs. Porsche doesn’t seem to disclose that.
Your question has been answered, the OEM OAP is not an active component and therefore will not affect the emissions of your 718, so there is nothing for Porsche to disclose.

Last edited by Westcoast; 06-04-2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:25 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Regarding the bolded portion above, this is NOT true of the OEM OAP's on US/Canada 718's, there is no catalytic coating.

Your question has been answered, the OEM OAP is not an active component and therefore will not affect the emissions of your 718, so there is nothing for Porsche to disclose.
Do you have a technical reference or just your word and conjecture?

Old 06-04-2024, 05:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do you have a technical reference or just your word and conjecture?
I don't answer questions here on Rennlist based on conjecture...

You do realize that this is a question already answered here on Rennlist, specifically the difference between active and non-active 718 OAP's, they even have different part numbers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
408whitty (08-07-2024), subwoofer (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:46 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I don't answer questions here on Rennlist based on conjecture...

You do realize that this is a question already answered here on Rennlist, specifically the difference between active and non-active 718 OAP's, they even have different part numbers.

That's good to know. Thanks. I wasn't aware of the C&D reference. The car is quite new to me.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:50 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's good to know. Thanks. I wasn't aware of the C&D reference. The car is quite new to me.
No worries!, BTW, congrats on the new to you 718!

I would have provided a link to the post in the thread but I can't always get back to them to share.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:21 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

No worries!, BTW, congrats on the new to you 718!

I would have provided a link to the post in the thread but I can't always get back to them to share.
Thanks. Even though I bought the car last August, I only drove it for a couple of months in total before we migrated to Florida and I put the car away for hibernation until 4 weeks ago. My attention was elsewhere.

So I have owned the car for a while but have only driven it for 3 months. The first month this season in NH has been with a boomy exhaust that I bought in haste last December and which was installed recently.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Even though I bought the car last August, I only drove it for a couple of months in total before we migrated to Florida and I put the car away for hibernation until 4 weeks ago. My attention was elsewhere.

So I have owned the car for a while but have only driven it for 3 months. The first month this season in NH has been with a boomy exhaust that I bought in haste last December and which was installed recently.
Yes, I saw your thread about resonance and the OAP's... I would have to read all 8 pages before I comment over there, but suffice to say OAP's make a huge difference in exhaust sound especially boom or resonance!