Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Latest Update of SR Carbon Fiber Roll Cage for GT4RS (US Spec)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 07:51 AM
sleepin'gt
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is very cool, I appreciate all the time + effort you guys spent developing this, it certainly shows in the product as it’s one of the most well thought out designs I’ve seen in aftermarket parts.

Im for sure interested but I have some questions, and like others a few concerns about road safety, since a good number of us use these cars more on the roads with occasional track duty rather than making it a dedicated track car.

1, I noticed on few pics from your website, some areas have carbon weaves that are mismatched and warped, especially near rear center joint, is this just due to prototype or will this also be apparent in final product? Since the exposed weaves is a great deal in the whole carbon aesthetic, it’s pretty important for a carbon product to have clean looking uniform weaves, is there a quality control team in place to ensure each product’s build quality and finish is perfect?

2, Is the anchor point material aluminum or high strength steel? In the pic you showed material comparison, aluminum is the strongest circled winner, but in your response to weight you said anchor is high strength steel to be FIA compliant, are they pointing to different parts or did I understand wrong.

3, It looks like your anchor is installed using both glue and rivets, is any drilling necessary or does it use existing factory holes? Also just curious did your analysis find this method to be stronger than welding? This might be a stretch but is the installation reversible if some reason need to remove everything.

4, I saw you make comparison to OEM club sport steel roll bar which is ideal for serious tracking, but have you compared to the OEM weissach titanium bar? Curious to see comparison in weight and strength vs the titanium bar as it’s more geared for I believe occasionally tracked cars.

5, It might be picture angle but your bar looks really close to the car ceiling (top side and corners) compared to OEM bar, have you measured the space between the bar and car ceiling?

6, I can see this being an ideal bar on track due to strength and in conjunction with helmet/harness/hans, but as for on road safety, some bars by design could be potentially dangerous in crash without persons inside wearing complete safety gears and even for being too strong during impact, considering the material and position in car and how it handles side impacts, I guess this won’t be known unless actually crash tested. But have you considered adding roll bar padding at key areas to reduce potential direct contact as an additional safety measure? I believe padding is one of DOT requirement to pass road safety for this reason and why many of our cars don’t come with the bars in the first place. I think having padding as an option may reduce some concerns at least by a bit.

Looking forward to the crash test, please keep us posted! Really excited to see projects like this come to reality. Keep it up!

Last edited by sleepin'gt; 07-06-2024 at 07:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EXFIB (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 02:54 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepin'gt
This is very cool, I appreciate all the time + effort you guys spent developing this, it certainly shows in the product as it’s one of the most well thought out designs I’ve seen in aftermarket parts.

Im for sure interested but I have some questions, and like others a few concerns about road safety, since a good number of us use these cars more on the roads with occasional track duty rather than making it a dedicated track car.

1, I noticed on few pics from your website, some areas have carbon weaves that are mismatched and warped, especially near rear center joint, is this just due to prototype or will this also be apparent in final product? Since the exposed weaves is a great deal in the whole carbon aesthetic, it’s pretty important for a carbon product to have clean looking uniform weaves, is there a quality control team in place to ensure each product’s build quality and finish is perfect?

Looking forward to the crash test, please keep us posted! Really excited to see projects like this come to reality. Keep it up!
Thanks for your inputs and recognization. Below is the answer regarding question No.1.

The mismatched pattern you see on roll cage is an inevitable thing of any complicated shape of carbon fiber product. Take SR roll cage as an exmaple, our SR roll cage made of 30 layers of carbon fiber fabrics, more specifically, 29 layers of single direction CF fabric and one layer of 4x4 wave CF fabric. all the outaide CF pattern you seen on photos
are from the one layer 4x4 wave cloth which put there specially for the exterior look. if take that layer of 4x4 CF cloth off, the pattern inside is mismatch and facing different directions on every single inch. The reason is that all single direction CF fabric are layered to specific direction according to CFD analysis to maximize structural strength.

After all 29 layers single direction layer of CF cloth form the bone of CF roll cage, the 4x4 wave CF clotch is putting there for a nicer look.

However, if the product is a hood(flat surface) or a pole, you can easily layout a cloth on it, and all patterns will be perfectly aligned. However on a complicated shape product like our CF roll cage, there is no way you wrap it with a complete piece of CF cloth. Instead, a skilled master at CF workshop needs cut the 4x4 CF cloth to match those shapes, and put several pieces of CF clothes together to cover the complete surface, a skillful mater will try to align those 4x4 patterns in different pieces cloth manually. However, Because of this joint of several CF clothes, it is inevitable that jointing sections of those clothes will show mismatched patterns.

If you check Porsche 992 GT3RS CF roll cage photos carefully, you will see the same mismatched CF patterns near joint sections.

Although we have quality standards to maintain consistency in the final products leaving the factory, complete uniformity is challenging in handcrafted carbon fiber manufacturing processes, as seen even in Porsche OEM 992 GT3 RS CF roll cages.

Last edited by Kimbleli; 07-07-2024 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:36 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

2, Is the anchor point material aluminum or high strength steel? In the pic you showed material comparison, aluminum is the strongest circled winner, but in your response to weight you said anchor is high strength steel to be FIA compliant, are they pointing to different parts or did I understand wrong.

3, It looks like your anchor is installed using both glue and rivets, is any drilling necessary or does it use existing factory holes? Also just curious did your analysis find this method to be stronger than welding? This might be a stretch but is the installation reversible if some reason need to remove everything.

Below are answers for your Question No.2&3:

Our roll cage has to use high strength steel for all joints since it is FIA 253 compliance.

Our Anchor Kit use 7075 Aluminum since it is not part of the FIA 253 Standard roll cage product. Plus we designed our anchor mount with bigger touching surface than Porsche OEM one to provide better strength. If we use steel, it will be too heavy. 7075 is ideal for strengh and weight, only problem is the 7075 T6 is very expensive.

In terms of welding VS Glue, Porsche OEM anchor mount is glued to car frame as well. we just want use same process on our anchor kit. Structural Glue is cleaner and easier, but provides same structural strength as welding.

Regarding those rivets, they are not providing any structural strength in the application, but to hold up anchor mount in correct position when waiting the glue dry up. It is also why Porsche use Rivets in its glue process. Finally, there are no factory pre-drilling holes on car frame.

Last edited by Kimbleli; 07-07-2024 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2024, 09:47 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Im for sure interested but I have some questions, and like others a few concerns about road safety, since a good number of us use these cars more on the roads with occasional track duty rather than making it a dedicated track car..

4, I saw you make comparison to OEM club sport steel roll bar which is ideal for serious tracking, but have you compared to the OEM weissach titanium bar? Curious to see comparison in weight and strength vs the titanium bar as it’s more geared for I believe occasionally tracked cars.

5, It might be picture angle but your bar looks really close to the car ceiling (top side and corners) compared to OEM bar, have you measured the space between the bar and car ceiling?

6, I can see this being an ideal bar on track due to strength and in conjunction with helmet/harness/hans, but as for on road safety, some bars by design could be potentially dangerous in crash without persons inside wearing complete safety gears and even for being too strong during impact, considering the material and position in car and how it handles side impacts, I guess this won’t be known unless actually crash tested. But have you considered adding roll bar padding at key areas to reduce potential direct contact as an additional safety measure? I believe padding is one of DOT requirement to pass road safety for this reason and why many of our cars don’t come with the bars in the first place. I think having padding as an option may reduce some concerns at least by a bit.

Answer for Q4:
No plan to do a crash test vs OEM titanium roll cage at this moment. The purpose of CF VS Steel crash test is to give all customers an idea how strong CF roll cage is VS traditional Steel Roll Cage.

Answer for Q5:
SR CF Roll cage edge to car body physical gap is identical as OEM Roll cage. Only the hexicon shape of SR CF Roll cage makes it looks closer.

Answer for Q6:
We have no plans or intentions to seek US road safety/DOT certification for our products. Similar to most SR performance products, the roll cage is specifically designed and marketed as a Track Use Only Product, as clearly stated in our terms of use. Even if you were to install a Porsche OEM 992 GT3 RS CF roll cage or OEM Clubsport roll cage, it is unlikely that either would pass US safety standards.

Last edited by Kimbleli; 07-07-2024 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Latest Update of SR Carbon Fiber Roll Cage for GT4RS (US Spec)