Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Latest Update of SR Carbon Fiber Roll Cage for GT4RS (US Spec)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 12:27 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Latest Update of SR Carbon Fiber Roll Cage for GT4RS (US Spec)

Since I have received numerous messages inquiring about the status of our GT4RS Dry Carbon Fiber Roll Cage, I believe it would be beneficial to create a dedicated thread specifically for this topic.

Initial Idea:
Back in mid-2022, I was amazed when I first saw the Carbon Fiber roll cage in the release video and photos of the 992 GT3RS. I strongly feel that our GT4RS deserves a similar enhancement. Thus, the development of a genuine carbon fiber roll cage began from that point onwards.

Core Design Concepts:

1.Aesthetics: We believe that the primary reason for incorporating a carbon fiber roll cage is its visual appeal. To ensure this, we have engaged our award-winning design team, which has won the Reddot/IF award six times, to work on the design of this roll cage. The foremost requirement is that the roll cage must complement the GT4RS Weissach Carbon Fiber interior. Here is the final design we chose from several concept designs presented by our design team:

Concept Design of SilverRocket Carbon Fiber Roll Cage.

2. Safety:
Apart from ensuring an attractive appearance, the SilverRocket roll cage is dedicated to achieving 100% safety for actual track use. To achieve this, we have adopted the latest 2023 FIA Article 253 safety standard for race cars as our guiding principle. Despite concerns raised by our engineers that this standard is tailored for professional race cars and may not be necessary for a street car roll cage, we maintain the belief that our GT4RS performs on the track at a level akin to a race car. Consequently, the safety standard, FIA-253, has been established for the SR Roll cage. The stringent nature of this real race car safety standard has presented significant challenges for our engineers during the development process.

3. Functionality:
Our design team was tasked with achieving three key functional requirements:
1) Incorporating a built-in harness bar for a 6-point racing harness, addressing the absence of this feature in the OEM roll cage design.

Below is the CAE analysis of a FIA-253 safety Standard harness bar of our roll Cage:

2) Designing the roll cage for easy installation.
in initial testing, our mechanic encountered challenges with the factory roll cage's difficult removal and reinstallation due to the full-length crossbar. Upon analysis, we identified this as the root cause. To enhance the ease of installation and removal of the SR roll cage, we restructured the rear end into a two-piece design. Subsequent testing revealed that a first-time installer, following our installation manual, can complete the removal of the factory roll cage and installation of the SR roll cage in approximately 40 minutes. Mission accomplished.

2 pieces structure of the rear end.

2 pieces structure of the rear end on GT4RS

4. Practicality:
Two essential practicality requirements for daily use include:
1.Maintaining accessibility to the engine bay and vital maintenance components without obstruction from the roll cage to simplify servicing for Porsche mechanics.
We tested our roll cage on several GT4RSs, even on a regular 718 T, no access to essential parts being blocked by our roll cage as you can see from below photos.

SR Roll Cage on GT4RS

SR ROLL CAGE Testing on a 718 T

2.Eliminating rearview vision blockage. The combination of the OEM roll cage and Rear Wing obstructed 90% of rearview vision while driving. We addressed the rear wing concern by creating a 3-inch Wing Riser; now it's time to resolve the issue with the roll cage.

5. Packaging for Shipping Safety
We ordered the 992 GT3 RS roll cage from PAG as a reference for our GT4 RS Roll Cage to compare sense of quality and OEM CF texture. Upon receiving the factory CF roll cage, we were surprised to find it simply wrapped in a thin fabric and placed in a paper box. This level of protection is inadequate for shipping a product valued at $25K. The roll cage is at risk of being dented, scratched, or even cracked if heavy items are placed on top of it during transit. So our production team gets a mission to design a packaging can perfectly protect our roll cage during shipping.

to be continued:

Last edited by Kimbleli; 05-29-2024 at 02:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kimbleli:
Ksdaoski (05-28-2024), lovetoturn (05-28-2024), SWxSec (06-01-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 12:43 AM
BlueSpotAutowrks
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Looking forward to seeing these for sale.

BlueSpotAutowerks.com
- Follow bluespotautowerks on Instagram and on Facebook
Sales@bluespotautowerks.com - 503-208-5133
Free shipping over $299 and 5% with code RENN05

Old 05-28-2024, 08:57 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Nice!! Now do the Spyder!!
Old 05-28-2024, 12:38 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

That looks very cool!
Old 05-28-2024, 12:45 PM
Dyna Ten
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been following this project ever since it was teased on Xianyu

Absolutely beautiful work
Old 05-28-2024, 01:03 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

"This level of protection is inadequate for shipping a product valued at $250K."

What????
Old 05-28-2024, 01:40 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
"This level of protection is inadequate for shipping a product valued at $250K."

What????
Guessing that was Chinese Yuan, since if I recall they are in Shanghai.

Last edited by Josh_357; 05-28-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 04:30 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

That's $34.5 K US??
Old 05-28-2024, 04:51 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,057 Likes on 426 Posts

That's $34.5 K US??
I think that list price sounds about right. But as usual, Suncoast has our backs and is offering it at a bargain at $25.5k.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/pk992cfbar.html
Old 05-28-2024, 09:55 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What????
SORRY for typo... 25K US$

Follow us on Instagram: silverocket718 to stay updated on latest SR products in development.

Old 05-29-2024, 12:54 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

6. SR Anchor Solution for Fitting SR CF Roll Cage onto U.S. Spec GT4RS (also fits all 718/981)

One significant delay in releasing our roll cage to the U.S. market was the lack of Porsche factory car frame preparation in the U.S. spec GT4RS. We spent nearly three months developing a neat solution to fit the SR Roll Cage into U.S. spec cars. We conducted several test installations in Asia using a standard 718, which has an identical unprepared car frame as the U.S. spec GT4RS.

Below is our design for the SR Anchor Solutions:

Last edited by Kimbleli; 05-29-2024 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:44 AM
SM04
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Is the upright portion of the bar also a 2-peice design?
  2. How is the rearward seat travel affected?
  3. Can you show the detail of the mounting to the rear strut tower?
  4. What modifications are required for interior trim, carpet?

The following users liked this post:
Juggy (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 04:15 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SM04
  1. Is the upright portion of the bar also a 2-peice design?
  2. How is the rearward seat travel affected?
  3. Can you show the detail of the mounting to the rear strut tower?
  4. What modifications are required for interior trim, carpet?
Thanks for your questions. Your circled item is a dash cam.

below are answers for your questions:

Q: Is the upright portion of the bar also a 2-peice design?
[Alex]: If you are talking about the gate (behind seats). it is one piece.

Q:How is the rearward seat travel affected?
[Alex]: Same impact as Porsche OEM Clubsport Roll Cage, which is about 5CMs forward.

Q:Can you show the detail of the mounting to the rear strut tower?
[Alex]: Same mounting design as Porsche OEM Clubsport Roll Cage. Photos in the bottom.

Q:What modifications are required for interior trim, carpet?
[Alex]: If the car comes with clubsport option, no modification needed. If not, same modification needs to be done as Porsche OEM Clubsport Roll Cage.

Last edited by Kimbleli; 05-31-2024 at 04:30 AM.
SM04 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 11:45 AM
bantam1
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

This roll bar is undeniably cool and beautiful, what is the estimated pricing?

My primary concern is: what is going to happen to the carbon in a catastrophic failure scenario, is it going to be a carbon spear that impales me?

Unfortunately I don’t think that anything short of some very expensive crash testing would assuage that concern.
Old 05-31-2024, 12:00 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bantam1
My primary concern is: what is going to happen to the carbon in a catastrophic failure scenario, is it going to be a carbon spear that impales me?

Unfortunately I don’t think that anything short of some very expensive crash testing would assuage that concern.
I understand that question, I think the reality is that there isn't much data for violent crashes with anyone's Carbon Fiber Roll Bars. Though I think there is risk of laceration by sharp edges is present in any violent crash, aluminum and steel can shear, tear, and break too. Steel bars may have more tendency to bend than they do break, but it's a game of risk tolerance. Everyone should look at any half cage/roll bar setup with open eyes that it is not going to be the same level of safety as a full car cage with a halo seat, etc..

I'm by no means an expert, but looking at fractures of carbon tubing, I'm not worried as the structure is behind the driver with a carbon fiber seat between the driver and the cage. I'm not envisioning a high likelihood of broken spars penetrating the driver, but every crash is different. I don't see this as any more risky than sitting in a carbon bucket, that can fracture as well. My 2 cents isn't worth much these days with inflation

Mike981S (06-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Latest Update of SR Carbon Fiber Roll Cage for GT4RS (US Spec)