Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Latest Update of SR Carbon Fiber Roll Cage for GT4RS (US Spec)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 10:47 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bantam1
This roll bar is undeniably cool and beautiful, what is the estimated pricing?

My primary concern is: what is going to happen to the carbon in a catastrophic failure scenario, is it going to be a carbon spear that impales me?

Unfortunately I don’t think that anything short of some very expensive crash testing would assuage that concern.
Regarding the price, we want to keep it confidential until the official U.S. market release. However, we can confirm that the SR CF Roll Cage will be priced at less than 50% of the Porsche GT3RS CF Roll Cage.

To address your safety concerns, here are three key points:
1.Safety Standards: Our Roll Cage is designed to comply with the FIA 253 Standard, which is the roll cage standard for real race cars. This standard requires the roll cage to withstand 12,311 lbs of pressure, significantly higher than the design standard of the Porsche OEM Roll Cage. If the SR CF Roll Cage were to fail, no other roll cage would be able to protect you effectively.

2.Material and Design: The SR roll cage is constructed from 30 layers of aerospace-grade carbon fiber fabrics. Among these, 29 layers are Uni-Directional CF Fabric layers. Based on CAE stress analysis, these 29 layers are laid in a proprietary direction during manufacturing to optimize strength and rigidity against impact forces at specific angles. The outer layer is a 4K texture cloth for aesthetic purposes. Unlike other CF products made of all 4x4 4K weave fabric, which may fail in a bamboo crack style, our unidirectional design ensures superior performance. Porsche for its GT3RS CF Roll Cage is using similar design to enhance strength.

3.Crash Testing: We are currently conducting crash tests at a TUV Lab, comparing the SR Roll Cage with the Porsche OEM Clubsport Roll Cage. We will release the testing video and TUV test report soon. Follow us on Instagram (@silverrocket718) for the latest updates.

Follow us on Instagram: silverocket718 to stay updated on latest SR products in development.

Last edited by Kimbleli; 05-31-2024 at 10:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kimbleli:
Ksdaoski (06-01-2024), RDCR (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Josh_357
I understand that question, I think the reality is that there isn't much data for violent crashes with anyone's Carbon Fiber Roll Bars. Though I think there is risk of laceration by sharp edges is present in any violent crash, aluminum and steel can shear, tear, and break too. Steel bars may have more tendency to bend than they do break, but it's a game of risk tolerance. Everyone should look at any half cage/roll bar setup with open eyes that it is not going to be the same level of safety as a full car cage with a halo seat, etc..

I'm by no means an expert, but looking at fractures of carbon tubing, I'm not worried as the structure is behind the driver with a carbon fiber seat between the driver and the cage. I'm not envisioning a high likelihood of broken spars penetrating the driver, but every crash is different. I don't see this as any more risky than sitting in a carbon bucket, that can fracture as well. My 2 cents isn't worth much these days with inflation

Thank you for sharing the photos and your thoughts.

We are currently collaborating with a TUV lab to conduct a crash test comparing the SR CF Roll Cage with the Porsche OEM Clubsport Roll Cage. I'm particularly interested in understanding how a carbon fiber (CF) roll cage performs during a crash test compared to a steel roll cage. Will update in this post once the TUV testing concluded.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (06-06-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 10:07 AM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 76 Posts

Very impressive stuff. Nice to see your anchor design improve on the factory piece. The factory mounts are available from the motorsports catalogue but IIRC require welding and gluing (correct me if I'm wrong).

A few questions:

-Will your anchor structures be reverse compatible with factory anchors?
-What sort of surface prep will be required to install your anchors?
-Does your carpet template follow the factory pre-cut clubsport carpet design?
Old 06-01-2024, 11:34 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by f50nut
Very impressive stuff. Nice to see your anchor design improve on the factory piece. The factory mounts are available from the motorsports catalogue but IIRC require welding and gluing (correct me if I'm wrong).

A few questions:

I'm not sure why the IIRC manual requires welding plus glue. However, at the Porsche factory, the anchor structure is installed using "Glue + Rivet." The rivets' function is solely to hold the structure in position until the glue fully cures; all strength of the structure comes from the structural adhesive. Our engineers also conducted a binding strength analysis (as shown in the photos above). Since our anchor structure has a much larger contact surface with the body frame, the binding power is significantly stronger than the OEM one.

Answers to your other questions:
[Alex]: I believe you are asking if our anchor structure is reverse compatible with factory roll cage. The answer is yes.

[Alex]: According to the Loctite E60HP manual, surface preparation requires cleaning to remove any oil and debris. For maximum strength, it is recommended, but not mandatory, to remove paint from the binding surface. Our analysis indicates that even without paint removal, the binding strength exceeds OEM levels.

[Alex]: Yes, the SR roll cage carpet cutting template is designed to replicate the exact Porsche factory carpet cut for the OEM clubsport roll cage.

For your information, we have tested the SR roll cage on several GT4RS equipped with the clubsport option. In all cases, it took approximately 40 minutes to uninstall the OEM roll cage and install the SR CF roll cage. A quick and easy job can be done by any mechanic who read our manual first. The reason why we are continuing to conduct more tests is to ensure that the installation process on cars without the clubsport option is as easy as possible.

Last edited by Kimbleli; 06-01-2024 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
f50nut (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 01:31 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

And IIRC = "if I remember correctly". I could be mistaken on the welding part.

Looking forward to updates!
Old 06-01-2024, 10:54 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by f50nut
Thanks for the quick reply.

And IIRC = "if I remember correctly". I could be mistaken on the welding part.

Looking forward to updates!
LOL. forgive me for my poor vocabulary!
Old 06-03-2024, 11:18 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Design of SR Roll Cage Crash Testing Fixture:

According to FIA-253 crash testing guideline.

Old 06-03-2024, 08:01 PM
951Pearly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you provide more explanation about the material compatibility between the CF half roll cage and the anchoring points? If the CF roll cage is too rigid could it compromise the vehicle structure in the event of a rollover? Also, is there some potential concern with other collisions that could cause the roll cage to move forward towards the driver like getting rear ended? This is mostly morbid curiosity on my part.

If it's possible animated simulations would be helpful.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-03-2024, 10:31 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 951Pearly
Could you provide more explanation about the material compatibility between the CF half roll cage and the anchoring points? If the CF roll cage is too rigid could it compromise the vehicle structure in the event of a rollover? Also, is there some potential concern with other collisions that could cause the roll cage to move forward towards the driver like getting rear ended? This is mostly morbid curiosity on my part.

If it's possible animated simulations would be helpful.

[/QUOTE]
Our current understanding of the roll cage during a crash is as follows:
1.The half cage roll cage is primarily designed to protect passengers in the event of a car rolling over. 2nd benefits is to improve car frame rigidity which in turn improves handling.
2. The connecting section (~5cm) of our roll cage is crafted from high-strength steel to provide flexibility in connecting to the strut mount and bottom anchor points. This design leverages the advantages of two different materials, steel and carbon fiber.
3. In the crash scenario you are concerned about, if a rear-end crash reaches the strut mount position, it indicates that the entire rear end has gone. There are many more serious stuff need be worried about.

We will observe how the SR CF roll cage performs during crash testing compared to the factory clubsport steel roll cage. This comparison video may provide insights to address your question.
Old 06-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Manufacturing details of SR Product: 30 layers of aerospace-grade carbon fiber fabrics are molded into a unique octagon-shaped tube using a P20 steel mold under high pressure and heat.

Follow @silverrocket718 on Instagram to get the latest update.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kimbleli:
BabyNSX (06-05-2024), Tay101 (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 06:43 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

If your product ships without a template for install will you respond promptly? I am asking because I reached out to you for a missing template not included with the canard package that I ordered and still have not received.

Thank you.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:38 AM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mr965
If your product ships without a template for install will you respond promptly? I am asking because I reached out to you for a missing template not included with the canard package that I ordered and still have not received.

Thank you.
Hi mr965,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies for the inconvenience caused by the missing template.

Regarding the SR Diveplane products, there isn't a physical template. Instead, the template is provided in our installation manual (Page 15). You can easily print it on a DIN A4 sheet.

Installation manual download link here:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...f?v=1714296698

-Alex.

Last edited by Kimbleli; 06-06-2024 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:36 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

They are now taking deposits for the CF cage. I just put mine in last night .
Old 06-26-2024, 09:51 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
They are now taking deposits for the CF cage. I just put mine in last night .
Thanks for your support. We will get your roll cage ready and shipped ASAP.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:59 PM
Kimbleli
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Check out official SR CF Roll Cage info here:
https://silverrocket.co/products/sr-...iber-roll-cage

Regarding the reservation deposit, currently, we have over 15 orders to fulfill, along with the intricacies of manufacturing a CF roll cage, resulting in a lead time of 8-12 weeks for new orders. To avoid customers paying $9,850 upfront and waiting for two months, we are only accepting a 10% deposit to reserve a production slot. Full payment will be requested when the product is ready to ship. The deposit is fully refundable; however, your shipping sequence will be affected after a refund.

We hope this process makes it easier for our CF roll cage customers. Suggestions are welcome.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kimbleli:
BlazinPond (06-26-2024), Mike981S (06-27-2024), RDCR (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Latest Update of SR Carbon Fiber Roll Cage for GT4RS (US Spec)