Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Do OEM OAPs contribute to resonance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 12:25 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
Haha. Understood. I recall your BC Fabs thread on your Spyder from 2021. Wasn't that eight pages? You went through a period of questioning and went through a number of combinations starting with the BC Fabs backbox, then OAPs and headers. Finally, headers with the OEM backbox? I don't have such deep pockets or for that matter, that level of interest in exploring so many exhaust combinations. If Kline doesn't suit me, I will re-install the OEM exhaust and call it a day. But so many here have been very helpful with their input so I am optimistic about the Kline.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ved-in-us.html
This is true! I had the opposite problem the rear pipe wasnt loud enough so i ended up doing the headers and proceeded to write 8 pages about it lol
seriously tho the kline is fantastic i really do hope u find it perfect
The following 2 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
BoxKing (05-31-2024), subwoofer (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 04:05 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 583 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
This is true! I had the opposite problem the rear pipe wasnt loud enough so i ended up doing the headers and proceeded to write 8 pages about it lol
seriously tho the kline is fantastic i really do hope u find it perfect
Thanks. I think my issue could be that the BC Fabs mufler has too much bass for me especially in the lower rpm range. Perceived by my ears as boomy. Volume is fine for me.
Kline is higher pitched to I will know right away if it is a tone preference. It could be as simple as that.

I listen to a lot of Jazz at home and always buy Bowers and Wilkins tower speakers for home audio. Just bought a pair of 703 S3s recently. People think that Bowers and Wilkins are 'bright' speakers. I find them to be perfect when paired with a 'warm' receiver like Marantz and adding a subwoofer. I can enjoy even Miles Davis without complaints.

I will let Ben know that it is probably just a preference for a different tone. He offered to take his muffler back for a partial refund. He is a small business so I won't do that to him. Sell it myself or absorb the cost.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:35 PM
stosh1964
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. The'Goldilocks' solution would be be my old 981 Boxster's sport exhaust. I tend to vacillate with unfamiliar things. Yeah you are probably right. Maybe I could have just added the resonated pipes from BC Fabs but an overwhelming number of more experienced people here recommended the Kline. So I ordered the Kline. Will see how that goes and will defintely post my impressions of BC Fabs vs Kline, FWIW
Must have skimmed right past this the first time, but that would be an apples to oranges comparison...not really apples to apples-right? You're comparing just an aftermarket back box (BC Fabs) in an otherwise stock system to a different back box w/an aftermarket resonated OAP. The resonated aftermarket OAP is completely different from a factory OAP w/a particulate filter! Of course you're going to get different results-no? I'm not a scientist, so maybe I'm missing something here?
Old 06-01-2024, 05:55 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stosh1964
Must have skimmed right past this the first time, but that would be an apples to oranges comparison...not really apples to apples-right? You're comparing just an aftermarket back box (BC Fabs) in an otherwise stock system to a different back box w/an aftermarket resonated OAP. The resonated aftermarket OAP is completely different from a factory OAP w/a particulate filter! Of course you're going to get different results-no? I'm not a scientist, so maybe I'm missing something here?
I think the tone of the BC ain't gonna change with the OPF deletes? No? It may suppress the resonance but it will be very bass heavy exhaust. As I posted above, the bass is too much for me. Right now, I can't drive the car below 3000 rpms. It is intolerable to me.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-01-2024 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:52 PM
stosh1964
AutoX

I think the tone of the BC ain't gonna change with the OPF deletes? No? It may suppress the resonance but it will be very bass heavy exhaust. As I posted above, the bass is too much for me. Right now, I can't drive the car below 3000 rpms. It is intolerable to me.
Ehh, anytime you go changing one component, there’s always a chance that it will have some type of effect (good or bad) on the overall tone/quality. Maybe just swap the Kline muffler first only, to compare directly? That would really be the only true way to compare mufflers. I get that it might not be cost/time effective though to swap mufflers only though—if you’re paying a shop to do the work. Even if it’s not really a direct comparison, I’d still be curious to hear your thoughts.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:00 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 257 Posts

Ehh, anytime you go changing one component, there’s always a chance that it will have some type of effect (good or bad) on the overall tone/quality. Maybe just swap the Kline muffler first only, to compare directly? That would really be the only true way to compare mufflers. I get that it might not be cost/time effective though to swap mufflers only though—if you’re paying a shop to do the work. Even if it’s not really a direct comparison, I’d still be curious to hear your thoughts.
You can’t actually just do the Kline exhaust alone as it is a system with the OAPs. It won’t work with OEM OAPs.
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 04:01 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

No man. I am not interested in playing around. I am almost 63 and know what I like in life. I don't like the BC Fabs muffler and I don't like driving my car with it on. It has only made my driving experience worse. I specifically told Ben that I am not a fan of loud exhausts and was only looking to boost low rpm sound and he assured me that the muffler would do the trick. It did the opposite for me.
I will move on to the whole Kline system and see it will work for me. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-02-2024 at 04:03 PM.
tigerhonaker (06-03-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 04:11 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 182 Posts

No man. I am not interested in playing around. I am almost 63 and know what I like in life. I don't like the BC Fabs muffler and I don't like driving my car with it on. It has only made my driving experience worse. I specifically told Ben that I am not a fan of loud exhausts and was only looking to boost low rpm sound and he assured me that the muffler would do the trick. It did the opposite for me.
I will move on to the whole Kline system and see it will work for me. Thanks for your thoughts though.
Damn if you were just trying to boost low RPM sound you could have disabled the valves on the exhaust or installed a valve controller. Then no worry about drone. But hopefully Kline gives you the smile and sound you were hoping for.
subwoofer (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 04:19 PM
BBermann
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

confirming- you are running the exhaust with the valves closed? My car with the BC Fabs back box is super boomy with valves open (exhaust button on) but not bad at all with valves closed.

also, are you sure the valve vacuum lines are connected? If not, you’re in boomtown no matter where the button is.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:20 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Damn if you were just trying to boost low RPM sound you could have disabled the valves on the exhaust or installed a valve controller. Then no worry about drone. But hopefully Kline gives you the smile and sound you were hoping for.
That's exactly what I wanted to do but got swayed by people who told me that drone would get much worse by doing that and that the BC Fabs was drone free and had a great tone. I was told by the Manufacturer that just the rear muffler would accomplish that goal. Read my post 73 above (if you are interested) where I copied a part of my only email exchange before I place the order.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-02-2024 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:27 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBermann
confirming- you are running the exhaust with the valves closed? My car with the BC Fabs back box is super boomy with valves open (exhaust button on) but not bad at all with valves closed.

also, are you sure the valve vacuum lines are connected? If not, you’re in boomtown no matter where the button is.
Yeah. PSE off, vacuum lines all hooked up. The valves remain closed anyway from 1500-4000 rpms, so it makes no difference to low rpm boominess whether PSE is on off.

I checked by accelerating from 2000 rpms in all the gears with PSE on and off. Identical boominess. It disapperas just shy of 3000 rpms. Of course if I use a heavy throttle, I can get past it very quickly. So have to adjust my driving style.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-02-2024 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:19 PM
stosh1964
AutoX

Originally Posted by mc3456
You can’t actually just do the Kline exhaust alone as it is a system with the OAPs. It won’t work with OEM OAPs.
Ahh, not being familiar w/their stuff, I wasn't aware of that...so strike that/reverse it then-lol. I don't think he had any interest in doing that anyway.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:38 PM
stosh1964
AutoX

Whoah, ok, no worries buddy! I was just looking for an apples to apples comparison, but as I understand it now…Kline’s stuff doesn’t pair w/the OEM stuff anyway…so guess it’s a moot point—carry on.
Old 06-03-2024, 12:45 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 478 Posts

Whoah, ok, no worries buddy! I was just looking for an apples to apples comparison, but as I understand it now…Kline’s stuff doesn’t pair w/the OEM stuff anyway…so guess it’s a moot point—carry on.
Kline mates up with the OEM headers, and any aftermarket "Style" headers as well. Their mated OAP+Rear is what sets their system apart from any other on the 718 4.0 platform.
subwoofer (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 02:27 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Anyway, like I said before, too much bass for me. Don’t want to explore further. Time to move on.

Last edited by subwoofer; 06-03-2024 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Do OEM OAPs contribute to resonance?