Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PPF and ceramic for a tracked 4RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024 | 10:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
We're taking delivery of our 4RS this week. It will be tracked.

I'm planning to do full PPF, with 10 mil film in impacted areas and 8 mil film elsewhere. I'm also thinking of having an extra layer of film at the back of the front wheel wells and front of the rear wheel wells. I'm also thinking of having ceramic coating applied to the film, to make it easier to remove track rubber.

What do you all think of this? Which particular film are you using, and which is best?
I did full Xpel PPF with ceramic coating on top, the ceramic makes cleaning the film easier... For removing track rubber I recommend Mothers R3!
Old 04-29-2024 | 10:39 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

May be difficult to photograph and explain but any pictures or description of extra pieces of PPF applied behind front wheel/fender well would br helpful.
Old 04-30-2024 | 09:46 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
We're taking delivery of our 4RS this week. It will be tracked.

I'm planning to do full PPF, with 10 mil film in impacted areas and 8 mil film elsewhere. I'm also thinking of having an extra layer of film at the back of the front wheel wells and front of the rear wheel wells. I'm also thinking of having ceramic coating applied to the film, to make it easier to remove track rubber.

What do you all think of this? Which particular film are you using, and which is best?
you're on the right track and that’s an excellent plan

since you’re tracking the vehicle, the film will need replacing more often than a street car, so I’d recommend pattern installation with sufficient extension for ease of replacing

for film choice, you’ve picked two great materials, can’t go wrong with either

at some point, XPEL/Suntek/STEK all are great materials made by actual companies specializing in ppf…better than the sea of alternatives that simply have the material private-labeled and not their core competency…there are a few exceptions to that, but very few

just make sure you find out which SPECIFIC film is being used. I can’t tell you how many times I ask clients that want us to redo their ppf work from other shops and they don’t have any idea what material it was…they’ll just say “it was XPEL, do they make other films?” Each manufacturer has a low/mid/high level material but many consumers never ask the installer which specific film is used…they’re more concerned of the brand name

Best advice I can give you is find the right installer that knows how to execute on a 4RS…it has its own unique challenges and you’ll want someone that’s familiar with the shape

and DEFINITELY get ceramic as it’ll help with rubber sticking to paint and ease of cleaning

hope that helps

Last edited by MoeMistry; 04-30-2024 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: PPF and ceramic for a tracked 4RS