Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Where Did The 20 HP Go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 01:30 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,127 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe250
OP never asked if someone could feel 20 HP. If one cannot, one should be driving a Prius.
OP never asked anyone's opinion on whether or not he should get a tune.

Yes, I am hostile. Reading comprehension levels are at an all-time low and going lower by the second. It is almost as bad as people's ability to detect sarcasm.
I mean those same points can be directly applied to your first response in this thread where you just started talking about a tune for the cars pushing them above stock power and then comparing GTS stock power to 450hp. Literally noone was talking about that, people were only ever talking about the difference between the stock GTS and stock GT4 and how a tune brings the GTS engine up to a stock GT4 level.

And yeah sarcasm is hard to detect online when it's all text. i dont know you as a person, i dont know how you talk normally. I can only assume you are being serious because this is the first time i've conversed with you. How do you know i wasnt being sarcastic in my comment to you? You dont and you responded with the assumption that i was being serious. But hey it's all good man. Theres no need to be hostile online, we're all here trying to enjoy the cars that we love. Whats wrong with that?
The following 6 users liked this post by Xxyion:
348SStb (04-24-2024), BabyNSX (04-24-2024), darlinboy (04-28-2024), fasteddie99 (04-26-2024), NA4.0 (04-24-2024), slilley (04-25-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2024, 01:34 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 435 Likes on 248 Posts

OP never asked if someone could feel 20 HP. If one cannot, one should be driving a Prius.
OP never asked anyone's opinion on whether or not he should get a tune.

Yes, I am hostile. Reading comprehension levels are at an all-time low and going lower by the second. It is almost as bad as people's ability to detect sarcasm.
Hey Joe — knock it off. Who the heck do you think you are? Your attitude is completely unacceptable.

Back on topic. Joe — knock it off. Period.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (04-28-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 02:17 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 244 Posts

Extra ponies show up at the top of the rev band, where many people like to live with sport cars like the GT4.

My F87C flattened out at the top of the rev band. BMW added 40+hp in the F87CS and it is VERY noticeable; pulls hard all the way to red line.

Adding Dundon headers/OAPs added some appreciably significant ponies. How many ponies? Dundon claims 30hp increase, but I only have my butt dyno to offer as verification.

Either way, an extra 20 ponies would not compel me to get a GT4 over a GTS – and vice versa – given all the other factors that go into choosing one over the other . . . not the least of which is price.

Avera
The following 2 users liked this post by Avera:
BabyNSX (04-24-2024), slilley (04-25-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 02:55 PM
MEGY911
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

You're arguing for less HP. That is always the wrong answer. What's wrong with you?
I picked up the sarcasm - but I'm British.
Also, definitely detecting some Clarkson in your above statement...
Old 04-24-2024, 10:11 PM
gymdent
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

I appreciate everyone’s input. But now, let’s all play nice!

I assumed it was software related. I also assume that if you mess with that and have an engine related warranty issue that Porsche will surely put the blame on the owner and deny coverage.
The following 2 users liked this post by gymdent:
348SStb (04-24-2024), slilley (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:06 AM
shiftgear
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
718 GTS + Cobb Accessport > 718 GT4
please elaborate
Old 04-25-2024, 07:38 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdent
I appreciate everyone’s input. But now, let’s all play nice!

I assumed it was software related. I also assume that if you mess with that and have an engine related warranty issue that Porsche will surely put the blame on the owner and deny coverage.
Yes, you significantly increase your risk of being denied a warranty claim if the car is tuned. Especially if the part that fails is directly connected to the aftermarket part/tune.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:40 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftgear
please elaborate
He is saying that while a stock GTS has 20hp less than a stock GT4, that a tuned GTS has more power than a stock GT4.
BabyNSX (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 08:11 AM
neteng101
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I also assume that if you mess with that and have an engine related warranty issue that Porsche will surely put the blame on the owner and deny coverage.
Flash the engine to stock and they can't say much - but its transmission related failures that are more likely to come from the tune and they can deny coverage on that too.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:09 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by neteng101
Flash the engine to stock and they can't say much - but its transmission related failures that are more likely to come from the tune and they can deny coverage on that too.
If a major drivetrain failure occurs under warranty, and PCNA has to get involved, you will almost certainly be denied the claim based on the tune. Full readouts will show flash counting, and or parameters which were tampered with that were not Porsche Certified or performed by (dont let the tuners fool you that these cant be traced). Though I have not seen any reports of failures due to a tune on this platform, you have to accept the risk that a failure, even if not known that the route cause was due to the tune, will run a high chance of a denied claim; even if a failure falls under a "well known issue". Having a good relationship with your SA/SM, especially if they're mod friendly goes a long way for claims (even if not tune/drivetrain related).

I have tuned most of my sports cars in the past, even my S2000(NA), with no issues to date. I just dont see the point at this time (wish the case was different) to tune a NA engine with little bang for you $$$$.... now if these knucklehead tuners priced their tunes according to other platforms.. to the range of half-1/3rd the price as most of the other cars they tune (Porsche), I might have already been tuned. I currently refuse to pay the the 718 4.0 tax.
The following 4 users liked this post by BoxKing:
Dee Pee (04-26-2024), fasteddie99 (04-26-2024), George from MD (04-28-2024), subwoofer (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 10:30 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 419 Likes on 244 Posts

. . . I also assume that if you mess with that and have an engine related warranty issue that Porsche will surely put the blame on the owner and deny coverage.
Originally Posted by neteng101
Flash the engine to stock and they can't say much . . .
Why would anyone try to hide a tune by ‘flashing it back’?Porsche produces an impeccably tuned machine and provides a warranty to back their product.

If an owner decides to alter the product Porsche produces and warranties, why would that owner think it is on Porsche to cover the cost of failure?

Trying to ‘hide’ the tune is, at best, disingenuous. If one modifies their vehicle, they need to own it. Do not try to ‘hide’ it or hold Porsche responsible for failure.

Avera

The following 3 users liked this post by Avera:
darlinboy (04-28-2024), George from MD (04-28-2024), subwoofer (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 10:48 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Why would anyone try to hide a tune by ‘flashing it back’?Porsche produces an impeccably tuned machine and provides a warranty to back their product.

If an owner decides to alter the product Porsche produces and warranties, why would that owner think it is on Porsche to cover the cost of failure?

Trying to ‘hide’ the tune is, at best, disingenuous. If one modifies their vehicle, they need to own it. Do not try to ‘hide’ it or hold Porsche responsible for failure.

Avera
These acts typically stem from the retailers of the tunes.
You will hear them say over and over and over, and document "Just remove the tune before you take your car in for service, and all will be good" . Most people think this verbiage is their get out of jail free card in the event of some sort of failure. IF this were true, all tuners would back their products with their own warranty - havent seen this without a ton of fine print, which was written not to protect the warranty holder, but the issuer.

I told the (had to) BMW SA that I had tuned my car, only for the reason that I did not want any updates performed that were not deemed necessary, as any updates would have stripped the tune from the car, and I didnt want to keep flashing.

Avera (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 11:40 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera

Avera
Whole heartedly agree with you. Trying to hide a modification to get a warranty repair is unethical behavior in my book as well.
The following 3 users liked this post by subwoofer:
Avera (04-25-2024), darlinboy (04-28-2024), George from MD (04-28-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:52 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 196 Posts

I NEVER try to hide the modifications I make to my cars from the dealership. There is zero value in doing so as it completely erodes trust which is your most important currency when things go south. My car is likely making 50+ more WHP than stock and I realize there is non-zero risk in squeezing more power from an already capable engine. I don't hide this fact from the dealership and the SAs have a blast when I hand them the keys and they take it for a rip.

And yeah, with a simple ECU flash with the Accessport you can have a GTS that will generate more HP than a stock GT4 - that was my point.
Avera (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:35 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 435 Likes on 248 Posts

Rather than hide from dealers any engine tune, the trick is to associate with an enthusiast factory authorized dealer that embraces tunes and says “don’t worry about it” when it comes to warranty work. There are many enthusiast dealers like this who would have your back and on the other hand there are many suit and tie, rigid, stiff dealers who consider tuning a crime. It just depends on location.

Last edited by 348SStb; 04-25-2024 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
BoxKing (04-25-2024), neteng101 (04-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Where Did The 20 HP Go?