Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Strut tower failure...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 07:54 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
HoHos at that track are worth several seconds over MPSC2s or RM2s.

I have never run them but I hear they are like crack.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:58 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

I heard at the beginning where they casually noted “strut tower failure” - was that it?

Think they referenced orange car, so 4RS failure?
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:20 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I have never run them but I hear they are like purple crack.
FIFY
Old 04-01-2024, 08:24 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I heard at the beginning where they casually noted “strut tower failure” - was that it?

Think they referenced orange car, so 4RS failure?
Further in they point are a stress crack and state in didn't go thru the hood.
RDCR (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Strange not more discussion. Did they show it?

Think I caught no offs, curbs, etc…so it just failed?

Anyway, hope we hear additional details
Old 04-01-2024, 08:53 PM
TRSCobra
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 117 Posts

It's not very clear, but doesn't look like a crack (to me) where they are pointing in the video.

The following 2 users liked this post by TRSCobra:
Airbag997 (04-02-2024), RDCR (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 08:54 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Further in they point are a stress crack and state in didn't go thru the hood.
"didn't go thru the hood"

And the vid didn't show the whole side but do they really have "the boys are back in town" on their trailer?
Old 04-01-2024, 08:57 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,087 Likes on 438 Posts

Yeah. This looks like a stress crack.

RDCR (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 09:01 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 381 Posts

This just getting better and better . . . . . . . . . .
Old 04-01-2024, 09:01 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

If you look at their video collection on youtube you won't see anything about the RS, just setting up the GT4.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:07 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 569 Posts

A cracked or blown out strut tower is more common than you think. Usually happens in the people who track their cars but routine road potholes can take a car down as one did to my previous GT4. Our local top of the line certified Porsche body shop has done about 15-20 over the last 10 years. Both Cayman and 911s, with both street and track cars, and a few race cars. It is about $7k to fix it right, and was covered by the insurance as mine happen on the street. Porsche considers the strut tower casting a wear item. When they break, you just fix them and move on.

These are light weight aluminum castings bonded to the steel chassis. With a big hit, do you want to replace a breakable part or bend the chassis. This can only be done by a special certified Porsche repair shop with the proper training, tools, and multifunctional car jig. To repair it they remove the wheel, fender, suspension pieces, etc and drill out all of the rivets holding the cast piece to the front steel tub. They then basically use a putty knife kind of tool to separate the sheet metal from the casting and remove the entire busted piece. The new part has to be painted and then both surfaces have to be sanded and prepped for the the bonding process. The car is then precisely attached to jig by the jack points. The jig comes with an erector set type of arms and extensions that are unique to each model of car that the jig was designed to repair. With these jig parts they build a mount for the strut tower casting in 3D spaced. The new cast piece is then bonded to the steel tub in the same way it is done at the factory, which is the same way airplanes are made. The bonding is done by proprietary Porsche rivets at $30 a pop, special Porsche glue $100, and of course a special Proprietary Porsche rivet gun that applies the exact amount of torque to get an even film of glue in the joint. Not too tight or too loose, but just right. In this way the repair will be good for the life of the car as it is done exactly as Porsche wants. It sets for a day or so and then is all put back together and touch up painted.

The dealership nor just any body shop can order any of these parts. It can only come from the authorized Porsche repair shop through its chosen dealership. Porsche expects all of this to be done to within a tolerance of just 3 mm and when mine returned to the dealership for its alignment after the repair, the difference in ride height was only 1mm off from before to after. Pretty amazing work. Our body shop here in Dallas is the best in the city and has done 15-20 of these over the last 10 years. It is routine stuff for them. Felix brought his car up here from Austin to get it fixed because of Stuart's reputation and vast amount of experience completing this type of repair. We both had outstanding results and our cars are literally as good as new. It seems like horrible damage to your car, but in the right hands, it's not really a big deal. Far less complicated than pulling a motor on a 2024 GT3 to replace a defective oil pan seal. Never had another with it with for the following two years.

This is what killed my shock tower. Hit it at 6:30 am on the way to the track in the dark on the freeway off ramp. Never saw it, but I sure heard a loud kaboom, and knew immediately what had happened. It was caused by trucks braking too hard and compressing the asphalt into a divot followed by a ski ramp. Fortunately after consulting with a friend in the know, I was able to slowly drive it home and later to Stuart's for the repair.

Ouch

Can everyone see this crack. Yes, Felix's car did have a hairline type crack, but it was absolutely there. Almost nobody would have noticed this, but he is extremely meticulous about maintaining a number of these GT cars for his group. A little more driving and it would have looked like mine below. I of course look at mine most times before I go to the track as well.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 04-01-2024 at 11:42 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
AlexCeres (07-17-2024), coldfire (04-01-2024), Fast-Eddie (04-03-2024), mashoutposse (07-19-2024), Mike981S (04-02-2024), spyderphile (07-20-2024), vg247 (04-02-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2024, 11:29 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 78 Posts

No affiliation with Alekshop, just a happy customer.

https://alekshop.com/products/aleksh...he-991-718-981

I wish the plate was thicker and took advantage of the threaded boss sitting right there but it is better than nothing. Some slight trimming of frunk plastic trim, washer bottle fill assembly, and cabin filter airbox required but it sounds worse than it is.

Last edited by Joe250; 04-02-2024 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:54 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,189 Likes on 637 Posts

What somebody should do is make a simple steel cup, that is inserted underneath the strut tower.
that would take the impact off of the cast aluminum tower,
these reinforcements on the top of the tower, really won’t mitigate the shock to the tower.
another problem is because of the lowered ride height there is no external bump stop.
just an internal one, supposedly..
basically a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by 4carl; 04-02-2024 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:58 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
What somebody should do is make a simple steel cup, that is inserted underneath the strut tower.
that would take the impact off of the cast aluminum tower,
I don't disagree. Strange that Porsche Motorsport came up with these reinforcement plates for the front of the Clubsport cars but the factory installed a bonded + riveted reinforcement underneath the rear GT4 (and I assume GT4RS) towers:

The best plan to prevent this seems to be reinforcements top and bottom, a "reasonable" ride height, sufficient bump stops in good working order, dampers with high speed blow off in at least compression, and not hitting rumble strips/curbs/potholes. It still sucks to have shock towers as a fusible link though.

In fact, that raises a question - what dampers were installed on all the affected cars? I wonder if any were equipped with high speed blow off. Just a thought.

Last edited by Joe250; 04-02-2024 at 12:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe250:
4carl (04-02-2024), Mike981S (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 12:04 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
A cracked or blown out strut tower is more common than you think. Usually happens in the people who track their cars but routine road potholes can take a car down as one did to my previous GT4. Our local top of the line certified Porsche body shop has done about 15-20 over the last 10 years. Both Cayman and 911s, with both street and track cars, and a few race cars. It is about $7k to fix it right, and was covered by the insurance as mine happen on the street. Porsche considers the strut tower casting a wear item. When they break, you just fix them and move on.

These are light weight aluminum castings bonded to the steel chassis. With a big hit, do you want to replace a breakable part or bend the chassis. This can only be done by a special certified Porsche repair shop with the proper training, tools, and multifunctional car jig. To repair it they remove the wheel, fender, suspension pieces, etc and drill out all of the rivets holding the cast piece to the front steel tub. They then basically use a putty knife kind of tool to separate the sheet metal from the casting and remove the entire busted piece. The new part has to be painted and then both surfaces have to be sanded and prepped for the the bonding process. The car is then precisely attached to jig by the jack points. The jig comes with an erector set type of arms and extensions that are unique to each model of car that the jig was designed to repair. With these jig parts they build a mount for the strut tower casting in 3D spaced. The new cast piece is then bonded to the steel tub in the same way it is done at the factory, which is the same way airplanes are made. The bonding is done by proprietary Porsche rivets at $30 a pop, special Porsche glue $100, and of course a special Proprietary Porsche rivet gun that applies the exact amount of torque to get an even film of glue in the joint. Not too tight or too loose, but just right. In this way the repair will be good for the life of the car as it is done exactly as Porsche wants. It sets for a day or so and then is all put back together and touch up painted.

The dealership nor just any body shop can order any of these parts. It can only come from the authorized Porsche repair shop through its chosen dealership. Porsche expects all of this to be done to within a tolerance of just 3 mm and when mine returned to the dealership for its alignment after the repair, the difference in ride height was only 1mm off from before to after. Pretty amazing work. Our body shop here in Dallas is the best in the city and has done 15-20 of these over the last 10 years. It is routine stuff for them. Felix brought his car up here from Austin to get it fixed because of Stuart's reputation and vast amount of experience completing this type of repair. We both had outstanding results and our cars are literally as good as new. It seems like horrible damage to your car, but in the right hands, it's not really a big deal. Far less complicated than pulling a motor on a 2024 GT3 to replace a defective oil pan seal. Never had another with it with for the following two years.

This is what killed my shock tower. Hit it at 6:30 am on the way to the track in the dark on the freeway off ramp. Never saw it, but I sure heard a loud kaboom, and knew immediately what had happened. It was caused by trucks braking too hard and compressing the asphalt into a divot followed by a ski ramp. Fortunately after consulting with a friend in the know, I was able to slowly drive it home and later to Stuart's for the repair.

Ouch

Can everyone see this crack. Yes, Felix's car did have a hairline type crack, but it was absolutely there. Almost nobody would have noticed this, but he is extremely meticulous about maintaining a number of these GT cars for his group. A little more driving and it would have looked like mine below. I of course look at mine most times before I go to the track as well.
Good point on this. When it comes to suspension you have to have a weak link in there somewhere that will fail before other pieces. Usually that is the least expensive piece to replace, unless it is a safety issue.

I used to go thru this on snowmobiles when riding up in thew mountains early in the season. Better to bend a trailing arm then cause structural damage when you take out a rock that's just hidden under some fresh powder.

In the case of the automobiles, if you bend the frame, that's pretty much a write-off by the insurance company.
The following 3 users liked this post by TRZ06:
lovetoturn (04-02-2024), pinion (04-02-2024), vg247 (04-02-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Strut tower failure...