Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Ordering Advice for GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024 | 11:02 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doug_999
The only way to get the deviated stitching on the shifter boot is to get the silver trim on the shifter.

One of the great mysteries of Porsche....

PS - Power Steering Plus is silly in a sports car
This is true. I was referring to carbon fiber trim around the interior… but he doesn’t want a deviated stitched leather boot anyway because he’s replacing it.

Have you ever owned Power Steering Plus? I find that it’s usually silly to people who haven’t owned both.
Old 03-25-2024 | 11:24 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
This is true. I was referring to carbon fiber trim around the interior… but he doesn’t want a deviated stitched leather boot anyway because he’s replacing it.

Have you ever owned Power Steering Plus? I find that it’s usually silly to people who haven’t owned both.
My friend got it on his 992 despite my begging him to give me the money instead - and thus, I stand by my statement after driving it
Old 03-25-2024 | 11:26 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

My friend got it on his 992 despite my begging him to give me the money instead - and thus, I stand by my statement after driving it
Okay — can you tell us the disadvantage of having it? You’ve already provided the abstractions — is there an actual characteristic to it that renders it a disadvantage? You might think there’s no advantage — but what is the disadvantage?
Old 03-26-2024 | 07:59 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I like the power steering plus in my Boxster 25. At low speeds, it takes much less effort than my previous car, a 991.2 where I didn’t order it. Without it, the steering felt heavy at low speeds which is typical Porsche steering. I don’t see any downside to ordering PSP. Makes maneuvering in tight spots much easier and at higher speeds there is no difference. It is a no brainer option to me.

Last edited by subwoofer; 03-26-2024 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2024 | 12:39 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Okay — can you tell us the disadvantage of having it? You’ve already provided the abstractions — is there an actual characteristic to it that renders it a disadvantage? You might think there’s no advantage — but what is the disadvantage?
Id say the disadvantage is that you are spending money on something that you may not ever notice. I think it really just depends on how and where you drive everyday. When i had the GT4 (which doesnt have the option) it was my daily driver. But other than the occasional tight parking lot, i never needed to really maneuver the car and if anything the heavier steering wheel feel allowed me to be more precise when parking or navigating tighter areas. Most of this is all preference so you cant claim a strict advantage or disadvantage, but for me i prefer heavier steering when at low speeds and lighter steering at higher speeds which the GT4 naturally felt like it did without the add-on.
Old 03-26-2024 | 12:53 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

I'm late to the party, but I went GB with chalk interior, and I GB painted inserts, the painted inserts had a nice splash of color. After having a full sand beige 07 Cayman interior, I was swapping out black trim pieces and CF to add some mixture to the inside, which was really good. I find the GTS to be boring since it is mainly full black. I liked having the extra silver/pebble stitching on the interior trim, but that can be up to the individual....since you're doing the leather dash I might recommend getting it to match the chalk, or other color you're doing. I also went 18 ways with ventilated seats and love them. I find the manual to be a must, and with my GTS I did the 30 minute or less install of the shorter shifter from Porsche directly. Some people love the numeric, but I find the factory GTS height and throw to be a bit obscene. I was told the Power Steering Plus can make a nice difference, but I opted to not and I haven't felt that I haven't ever had an issue in parking lots.

If you do the matched stitching inside, make sure to opt for the more expensive stitching on the steering column cover. My SA was big into telling me to do it, and it showed up in black, while the rest of my interior is stitched in a white. I was pretty pissed at them for making such a silly stupid blunder. It should have been discussed more closely with me, they've updated the UI since I was shopping for my build 3 years ago, so I think it's a bit more clear.
Old 03-26-2024 | 01:09 PM
WGJP 993
Racer

Received all your points in response — all valid. I still disagree with the brushed aluminum… and who says carbon fiber isn’t classy? 🤣

You definitely need to choose the deviated stitching option to have the leather steering column to give you a chalk threaded stitch; otherwise the stitching would be black on black leather. The price difference is minimal as well.

Are you sure you lose the GTS logo if you go with a leather interior? I didn’t know that.

The black seat inserts would be awesome — the black leather would match the black leather steering wheel and dashboard.
Curious as to what you dislike about the brushed aluminum shift ****? It seems to me it would subtly reduce the glare of the shiny stock silver ****.

So even if you are doing the interior trim painted to match exterior color, the brushed aluminum shift **** seems like a better choice...
Old 03-26-2024 | 08:00 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

got it nice to see I am not alone in liking my GB over Chalk combo, would def love to see some photos of your car!
Old 03-27-2024 | 01:39 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I'm late to the party, but I went GB with chalk interior, and I GB painted inserts, the painted inserts had a nice splash of color...
Painted inserts?

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
...and with my GTS I did the 30 minute or less install of the shorter shifter from Porsche directly. Some people love the numeric, but I find the factory GTS height and throw to be a bit obscene.
What was the cost on that? I have the same car the OP is ordering but went with the CF shifter just cause I don't like the look of the silver or brushed - but I agree, the shifter looks rather large. Curious what the cost was on your shifter (all in), cause I could yank the CF shifter and save $250 if I was doing that

Old 03-27-2024 | 08:26 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

By painted inserts he means the interior trim painted in exterior color.
Old 03-27-2024 | 09:00 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

By painted inserts he means the interior trim painted in exterior color.
yep that always looks rank lol
Old 03-27-2024 | 09:03 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
yep that always looks rank lol
To you, maybe.
Old 03-27-2024 | 11:18 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, I'm actually torn!

Old 03-27-2024 | 11:25 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, I'm actually torn!

Looks good. Anything is better than brushed aluminum. (Sorry Phil.)

What color are those deviated seat centers right there?

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-27-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2024 | 11:59 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Yeah i love painted interior matching exterior. Porsche is one of the few car companies that does this and i think it adds that extra pop for the interior. Had it on my GT4 and i loved seeing the Python Green on the inside.

Quick Reply: Ordering Advice for GTS 4.0