Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Ordering Advice for GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024 | 08:24 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Default Ordering Advice for GTS 4.0

Hey fellow Rennlisters, Been a long time stalker of the P-car forums, and have finally decided it is time to stop messing around and join the club, I recently sold my Guards red 944 and while that car was a total ****, My love for the brand is still very much alive, Been enjoying a manual mkv supra for the past year or so and while it has been great, I placed an order for both a 6spd Z4 and 6spd M2 a few months back, and while those are great cars, I know that both of those cars won't have that special X factor that a naturally aspirated flat 6 will have. So I woke up the other day, somehow managed to sell my beloved A91 MT, and have spent the last few days learning everything there is to know about the 982 platform. I think Boxster is the way to go over cayman since I appreciate the top down driving, but open to hearing peoples thoughts on both. My local dealer PWB has an allocation that they offered me for MSRP for June, but I am actually in no rush since my street is currently being torn up to install water lines and repave the street so for 6+ months none of my low toys will be leaving the garage. If anyone has any recommended dealers/ people to go to about ordering one of these, on the supra and bmw forums we always had the goto people at said dealers. I sat down with the dealer today and looked over a few specs and that is my next hurdle, what options, I know I must be one of a million people to sit here and ask the same question, so feel free to tell me about using the search functions in the replies! I know a few things are a must for me- Full leather, not sure on a color combination yet but definitely know that I don't want a rubber dash, options like PDLS, Bose, the 18 ways, and a few others are also already on my list, is there anything else that is a must have? anything that should be avoided? I plan to use this a mix use daily/ weekend toy, I am still on the fence about buckets as I already have a few track cars that are a nightmare to climb in an out from. Living in South Florida canyon carving and mountain driving are out of the picture for me at least until I leave Florida, so a lot of straight line driving is where it'll be! In terms of what to pay, where is the value on these cars? Is MSRP as good of a deal one can expect to get? I know the 20% discounts of the 2.5L GTS are a bygone era! Either way, I know I would like to get an order placed this week and welcome all input/ advise/ etc that you guys can bring my way! Picture of my soon to be leaving ( Monday ) A91 MT.

Old 03-22-2024 | 08:41 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Nice! I had an A91 Supra as well a few years ago, I feel like its the only modern BMW that feels like what BMW used to be.
As far as allocations go, if someone has offered you an MSRP allocation now take it. The difference with buying a new Porsche vs buying something like a BMW is very different. Just because the build date isnt till June doesnt mean they will have more allocations down the line. Also a build date of june means most likly a delivery date of August or September, so you have about 5 months till your car arrives. So again, if someone is offering you an MSRP allocation, get that locked in and secured now.

That being said how much have you played with the configurator? I highly recommend trying out a few builds. I'm also waiting on a Boxster GTS with a similar build date and delivery frame as you. If you can i recommend going down to the dealership and seeing if you can try out all the different seats. I used to have the LWBS on my GT4 and thought those were fine as a daily, but for my GTS i'm going more comfort spec and will be getting the 2-ways. I also specced Burmester but Bose i think is fine for what it is. Some people really like the GTS interior package as it gives you carmine red deviated stitching everywhere, full leather dash, red seatbelts, carbon fiber trim, and Carmine Red Gauge cluster. For me i would have chosen that had i not been able to get Aventurine Green as my exterior color choice and so Carmine Red would have been my backup color choice.

If you post your build code to this thread, we can all take a look at the options you've selected and give more feedback.
The following users liked this post:
Phillip Berk (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024 | 10:08 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

So is MSRP that hard to fine nowadays? Because they have two, June and August, but they claim they can't give me the August one till June one is filled, and he claims delivery would be in June, Champion Porsche says I can leave a deposit and they will get me an allocation eventually at msrp. In terms of the configurator I have spent over 10 hours on it in the last 2-3 days lol. I tried both 2 way and 18 way seats today, Both felt good, the adjustment of the 18 way was super nice with the bottom being able to be raised. My good buddy had buckets in his 2020 GT4 which did not really bother me but I am worried about getting in an out, Need to try them again. I am fairly small 5.7 (8 on a good day) 150lbs, so I should fit, but I also want something nice and comfy+ vent seats are basically a must 9 months out of the year here. I like good audio, but I spent the last few days in a good friends 992 Turbo S with Burm and it is good, even he says he would not spec it again, it was def not comparable to the upgraded bowers and Wilkins in our I7+ I am trying to be somewhat smart with how I spec it, I know base is not an option but I feel like the BOSE will be good enough, I'd rather spend the extra $$ on OAP's and valve controller! The GTS package is nice, I would do with the chalk but I am so scared to order a black interior and worry I will be bored of it. I wish they still offered the brown/tan combinations as I have hazelnut with my A91 MT and love the look. Especially if I PPF it in BRG, thats my other concern, do I get it gentian over chalk and call it a day or a base color and then PPF it green, since I will do full PPF regardless. another thing- both dealers told me they won't let me register at my MT LLC, is this a Porsche thing? or just got unlucky with both these dealers. I'll share my current build code but It has changed 10x times in the last hour alone, I am now thinking what the Chalk interior but the black inserts would look like, the config does not show it but I did it on photoshop and it turned out pretty nice...
Old 03-22-2024 | 10:22 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

I currently own a Z4 and Boxster GTS 4.0 (among others); and I previously owned a Cayman GTS 4.0.

I recommend you obtain the earliest allocation possible because waiting for a later one is risky due to the potential of Porsche terminating the model run of the GTS.

We probably don’t live far from each other — if you’d like to talk further, shoot me a private message.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-22-2024 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2024 | 10:26 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I live in PBG for five months of the year but I keep my manual Boxster 25 in NH. If I were buying one here, I would definitely get the PDK, a light-colored interior and ventilated seats for sure. I am all for seat comfort so I have 18-ways but everyone likes different seats. I like the memory function, the lower thigh support of the extending cushions and the shoulder bolsters in the 18-ways. Premium package is also must for me. In southern Florida, I just couldn’t do a dark interior so choices are limited. The GTS interior package is nice but basically black which I think will be unbearable here at least to me. If you did a chalk or gt silver metallic exterior, you could do a Bordeaux red interior which wouldn’t get too hot. If you pick a chalk interior, you could do a shark blue exterior or even a red one like CR. Bose vs Burmester is another tough one for me. I have the Bose which is very average. I am not an audiophile by any means but I like the Bowers and Wiikins in my tomb-like wagon which is way better. In my Boxster, I prefer to listen to the exhaust which is anemic-sounding in stock form but will be rectified soon enough.

Regarding dealers, Champion did take a deposit from me for a future allocation, West Palm blew me off, Suncoast wanted 15k over and Melbourne had me on a wait list. I ended up buying used in NH. MSRP is good. Good luck with your decisions. It is a great car and you will love it.

Also I know you asked about a 718 but have you considered a 992 coupe with the PDK? Seeing how it is here ( my third winter in southern Florida), that may also be a great choice. More colors available and more modern technology. And perfect for our straight roads. Even a base Carrera with the PDK would be a beast.

Last edited by subwoofer; 03-22-2024 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (03-26-2024)
Old 03-22-2024 | 10:45 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

I passed up a boxster 25 for 85k last year... the regret is immeasurable- GT silver over red manual car. I love the PDK, and if it was PDK-S I would probably consider it but the roads down here are boring enough, which is why with the manual at least I have a little more engagement with the car + I have an auto Bronco Raptor for the times I really do not want to be bothered. I also really like the GTS interior package but can't get over the all black interior, I like the full red but that also makes me worry if it will be too much, I wish they had the Spyder color combo of red + black alcantara, almost bought a rebuilt title spyder a few months back with it but ended up passing on it. I drove the 992 and while it is nice, it is a little boring for me in base spec, and even then a configuration I would want ( so bose+ pdls+ full leather) would bring me closer to 130, and I just don't want to spend that much, I thought about a T but also same boat. I plan to call Melbourne tmmr since my family has a home in merrit island and I am always there. My biggest concern with the manual is the long gearing and the shifter in a base 718 I felt today was definitily sloppier and worse than my Supra, but I heard the GT4 shifter is an easy swap, I also thought I read that the 25 comes with the short shifter? maybe I am making that up lol! I think I will end up with the 18 way sofa's, but I really need to decide on a color, and if my dreams of a BRG porsche will have to wait till I can order a PTS GT3 Touring!
Old 03-22-2024 | 10:56 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Boxster 25 does have a short shifter and it is very nice. Shouldn’t be a deal breaker imo. The GTS shifter is also nice and you can swap it out. Gearing is tall but that is typical of Porsche manuals as you know. 718 has very limited choices wrt interior colors (to me at least) as Porsche starts winding down this model. You could look for used Spyders nationwide if you choose that route especially if you get the color combinations that you prefer. I lucked out with my CW Boxster 25 with the red interior and brushed aluminum trim inside.
I think you will be happy with either car but you have to like the colors. I also hear you about the 911. The pricing is getting out of hand. T is good but only black interiors which I couldn’t do in southern Florida.
Old 03-22-2024 | 10:59 PM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Ya at the end of the day its a hell of a first world problem to have! and agree, in my eyes a base 911 starts at 90, and an S at 105, but maybe I am stuck in 2018. I set a hard line budget for myself at 110 so I want to keep it at that just to be smart, last thing I want to do is over extend myself over a car, and while from the stand point of could I afford a nice 992? sure, would it be smart? probably not.
Old 03-22-2024 | 11:03 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

The 25 year did come loaded though and it had the PDLS+ lights as standard with auto high-beam (nice feature but not a deal breaker) which have not been available on 718 from 2023+. (I am lucky to have them on my 2022). The short shifter is a great benefit also. For me not a deal breaker but that car is a very nice package.
Old 03-23-2024 | 12:50 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phillip Berk
So is MSRP that hard to fine nowadays? Because they have two, June and August, but they claim they can't give me the August one till June one is filled, and he claims delivery would be in June, Champion Porsche says I can leave a deposit and they will get me an allocation eventually at msrp. In terms of the configurator I have spent over 10 hours on it in the last 2-3 days lol. I tried both 2 way and 18 way seats today, Both felt good, the adjustment of the 18 way was super nice with the bottom being able to be raised. My good buddy had buckets in his 2020 GT4 which did not really bother me but I am worried about getting in an out, Need to try them again. I am fairly small 5.7 (8 on a good day) 150lbs, so I should fit, but I also want something nice and comfy+ vent seats are basically a must 9 months out of the year here. I like good audio, but I spent the last few days in a good friends 992 Turbo S with Burm and it is good, even he says he would not spec it again, it was def not comparable to the upgraded bowers and Wilkins in our I7+ I am trying to be somewhat smart with how I spec it, I know base is not an option but I feel like the BOSE will be good enough, I'd rather spend the extra $$ on OAP's and valve controller! The GTS package is nice, I would do with the chalk but I am so scared to order a black interior and worry I will be bored of it. I wish they still offered the brown/tan combinations as I have hazelnut with my A91 MT and love the look. Especially if I PPF it in BRG, thats my other concern, do I get it gentian over chalk and call it a day or a base color and then PPF it green, since I will do full PPF regardless. another thing- both dealers told me they won't let me register at my MT LLC, is this a Porsche thing? or just got unlucky with both these dealers. I'll share my current build code but It has changed 10x times in the last hour alone, I am now thinking what the Chalk interior but the black inserts would look like, the config does not show it but I did it on photoshop and it turned out pretty nice...
I wouldnt say that MSRP is hard to come by, more just we dont know how long MSRP pricing will last. Remember these cars are slated to only be in production for 1-2 more years, and with the end coming soon, i wouldnt be surprised if dealers start charging ADM again.

As for color i also love green hence why my GT4 was Python and the GTS is going to be Aventurine Green. I'd say if you are dead set on the green then get it in like a base color and then wrap it. Otherwise you cant go wrong with Gentian Blue. As far as registration goes i think that is more determined by your states DMV no? I dont think Porsche makes a decision on that but not sure.
Old 03-23-2024 | 02:00 AM
WGJP 993
Racer

You are early in the process, so I might wait until you have a complete build you are sharing and want input on it.

In the meantime, I'll give you a gold nugget of advice that a friend who received his Cayman GTS 4.0 gave me: With the full leather interior, be sure to add:
XNS Steering column casing in leather $470

It adds that extra touch to complete an all-leather interior by replacing the plastic covered steering column with leather.

Good luck with configurator overload and have fun with it! Oh, and you're welcome.
Old 03-23-2024 | 08:16 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

So June is the last month they will build the GTS from what most are seeing. Finding one - especially in FL - At MSRP is also rare. Short story, time is running out.
The following 2 users liked this post by doug_999:
neteng101 (03-23-2024), subwoofer (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024 | 09:35 AM
Buddhi
4th Gear

Interesting. Is this confirmed for global? I know they are stopping EU production due to the cybersecurity requirements.
Old 03-23-2024 | 09:39 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The 718 stop sale is for EU and some Asian countries.

Rest of the world continues for some time post EV launch.

With that being said there’s no promises on which trims survive to the end
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Bearrun21 (03-23-2024), sonicworld (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024 | 04:27 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Even if production doesnt completely end i wouldnt be surprised if they just start to trickle down allocations. It's already kinda started to happen as a lot of the dealerships in my area that used to get a lot of allocations are starting to only see a few a quarter at best. I have a feeling that we'll see the ICE versions for another year or so but allocations are going to be few and far between which means ADMs will be high. Hell i only managed to secure MSRP because i had serviced my GT4 at the dealership and i am also trading in my M4 to them which i'm sure they will absolutely gut me on trade in value. But i decided that if i can at least walk away with that trade with 5k towards the new car i'd be ok with it.

Quick Reply: Ordering Advice for GTS 4.0