Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Mind those air filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 08:29 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
~5000 miles on my first set of BMC filters. Absolutely no reason that I can think of to not use BMC’s, especially since most RS models ship with these as OEM.
Now that I have two sets, swap out every 5K miles, or sooner pending usage. Clean one set, replace the other, rinse and repeat.

The image shows the new filer and used - keep in mind, that my car saw a decent amount of daily driving, and Im not talking only sunny days. Replaced about two weeks ago.

Did you experience the tab breakage issue on the dirty filter on the right and then repaired it? I had one that was improperly molded on a brand new set of my BMC filters and the tabs snapped off upon tightening them only half way. BMC sent me a replacement set under warranty, but I held onto them to fix them later on with a plastic welding iron I purchased at HarborFreight. It worked very well when repairing a broken fender flare tab on a different car.

Last edited by mc3456; 04-07-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:38 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Did you experience the tab breakage issue on the dirty filter on the right and then repair it? I had one that was improperly molded on a brand new set of my BMC filters and the tabs snapped off upon tightening them only half way. BMC sent me a replacement set under warranty, but I held onto them to fix them later on with a plastic welding iron I purchased at HarborFreight. It worked very well when repairing a broken fender flare tab on a different car.
Nope, but good eye. Those tabs probably fell victim to over-tightening during my first install.
I now have to rethink using them as the second set after cleaning, and just buy a new pair. The smart choice would be to start over again with a new set.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (03-22-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:32 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Nope, but good eye. Those tabs probably fell victim to over-tightening during my first install.
I now have to rethink using them as the second set after cleaning, and just buy a new pair. The smart choice would be to start over again with a new set.
You want to be really careful when tightening them snug because those tabs are very brittle. From now on, I am going to measure the screw hole depth with a piece of wire on a new set because nothing sucks more than breaking a tab. Thankfully, it was just the alternate pair, so I could just clean and re-oil the original pair that I had just removed, but if it was the original pair that snapped, I would be off the road for a week until a replacement pair was delivered. Though grateful for the warranty replacement from BMC, I did not appreciate their comment about not over-tightening them like it was my fault they snapped instead of taking responsibility for that set being defectively molded, unlike my original set.

Last edited by mc3456; 04-07-2024 at 12:32 PM.
BoxKing (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 09:52 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Yeah, you want to be really careful when tightening them snug because those tabs are very brittle. From now on, I am going to measure the screw hole depth with a piece of wire on a new set because nothing sucks more than breaking a tab. Thankfully, it was just the alternate pair, so I could just clean and re-oil the original pair that I had just removed, but if it was the original pair that snapped, I would be off the road for a week until a replacement pair was delivered. Though grateful for the warranty replacement from BMC, I did not appreciate their comment about not over-tightening them like it was my fault they snapped instead of taking responsibility for that set being defectively molded, unlike my original set.
I’ve never attempted the cleaning process on any BMC filters Ive purchases in the past, so I’ll sacrifice these up as my trial run to see how it turns out - live and learn on a set thats disposable to me.
THX again for spotting the stubby tip.. not sure if it would have had any ill effect going forward, but Im not going to take any chances.
tigerhonaker (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:36 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

I’ve never attempted the cleaning process on any BMC filters Ive purchases in the past, so I’ll sacrifice these up as my trial run to see how it turns out - live and learn on a set thats disposable to me.
THX again for spotting the stubby tip.. not sure if it would have had any ill effect going forward, but Im not going to take any chances.
Make no mistake, the cleaning process is a messy PITA. My new garage does not have a utility sink, so I have 3 sets, but will just clean the ones I remove outside when the weather warms up. They aren't really that expensive if one decides to just trash them instead. Honestly, the cleaning solution and filter oil only adds to the total cost since the aerosol spray type oil doesn't go very far, but at least you can control the amount applied much better than the type you drizzle on.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-22-2024 at 12:38 AM.
Larry Cable (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 02:03 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Make no mistake, the cleaning process is a messy PITA. My new garage does not have a utility sink, so I have 3 sets, but will just clean the ones I remove outside when the weather warms up. They aren't really that expensive if one decides to just trash them instead. Honestly, the cleaning solution and filter oil only adds to the total cost since the aerosol spray type oil doesn't go very far, but at least you can control the amount applied much better than the type you drizzle on.
I was re-thinking this last night, and since my car will no longer see 16,000/yr, I will buy a new set every year to ensure the filters being replaced are in 100% condition. I don't want to screw up the cleaning and oiling process, thus potentially causing engine issues over a mere $200/yr
The following 5 users liked this post by BoxKing:
Larry Cable (03-22-2024), neteng101 (03-22-2024), Ramon Vennik (03-22-2024), silverscooby27 (03-23-2024), tigerhonaker (03-23-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 02:46 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 467 Posts

Most people (especially those with low dust brake pads like me), that only do ~3k a year - drive only in the summer in good condition on mostly back country roads - could probably go 3 years before needing to replace/clean filters. Even if every 2 years (which is typically my replacement/cleaning schedule on my daily driven vehicles), $200 for replacement filters vs cleaning is probably much easier. And if you're taking it to a shop to be done - asking them to clean the filters is probably not something they will want to do... and if you're a DIY person - cleaning them yourself will only add much more time because if I'm not mistaken, these need to be fully dried before you can apply the oil - meaning overnight wait... meh

Last edited by MrFunk; 03-22-2024 at 02:48 PM.
silverscooby27 (03-23-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 02:57 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Most people (especially those with low dust brake pads like me), that only do ~3k a year - drive only in the summer in good condition on mostly back country roads - could probably go 3 years before needing to replace/clean filters. Even if every 2 years (which is typically my replacement/cleaning schedule on my daily driven vehicles), $200 for replacement filters vs cleaning is probably much easier. And if you're taking it to a shop to be done - asking them to clean the filters is probably not something they will want to do... and if you're a DIY person - cleaning them yourself will only add much more time because if I'm not mistaken, these need to be fully dried before you can apply the oil - meaning overnight wait... meh
The remedy to the 24-48hr drying period is to have two sets. Install the clean set, wash/oil the other and store back in its plastic till the year 2027 hits
At least this was my thought process (clean/reuse, since thats how they're marketed). Seemed good to me on paper when I bought the 2nd set from SunCoast. No chance I'm paying a shop to install something like filters... pretty sure most Indy's would charge more for the labor than the filters cost, and lets not begin to talk about dealers. Every penny I save doing as much as I can on the car myself = more track days

Last edited by BoxKing; 03-22-2024 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:09 PM
Scrounger
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

Changed my air filters last week after it's forst service. Air filters are not changed until the 3rd service (6 years) here in the UK.

These are mine after 14000 miles. Not bad really but I'll change them every 2 years.​​​​​​​

MrFunk (03-22-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 05:48 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

Did you experience the tab breakage issue on the dirty filter on the right and then repair it? I had one that was improperly molded on a brand new set of my BMC filters and the tabs snapped off upon tightening them only half way. BMC sent me a replacement set under warranty, but I held onto them to fix them later on with a plastic welding iron I purchased at HarborFreight. It worked very well when repairing a broken fender flare tab on a different car.
I used washers as they don’t tighten up flush. I did break my 1st one also, but the supplying dealer refused a swap, bmc then did swap it for me. They are not made correctly imo so any shop or heavy handed fitted will not get a correct seal.
I find it strange no one talked about the fitting issue before.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:52 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I used washers as they don’t tighten up flush. I did break my 1st one also, but the supplying dealer refused a swap, bmc then did swap it for me. They are not made correctly imo so any shop or heavy handed fitted will not get a correct seal.
I find it strange no one talked about the fitting issue before.
I think they just had a bad production run because my other 2 sets were normal. In any case, it probably makes sense to use something like a finish nail to measure the depth before attaching a new set.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-24-2024 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:25 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

I think they just had a bad production run because my other 2 sets were normal. In any case, it probably makes sense to use something like a finish nail to measure the depth before attaching a new set.
This^^^
Using BMC since 2017, never had the ill fitting, was already thinking, “what did I miss on installing them?”
Old 03-24-2024, 09:45 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
This^^^
Using BMC since 2017, never had the ill fitting, was already thinking, “what did I miss on installing them?”
Poor molding and more brittle material for the screw tabs than the stock filter are the main issues to check for going forward. The price has also increased by about 20% in the last year without any corresponding increase in design quality. The 718 filter design is just very unique vs their normal flat filters or even the type on the 991s.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:56 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

Poor molding and more brittle material for the screw tabs than the stock filter are the main issues to check for going forward. The price has also increased by about 20% in the last year without any corresponding increase in design quality. The 718 filter design is just very unique vs their normal flat filters or even the type on the 991s.
that’s why I replace them and not cleaning/reuse them. Didn’t see the price increase, same money for all those years, ca €120
Larry Cable (03-25-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 11:27 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 116 Posts

My GT4 sees almost exclusively track miles, so I use BMC filters and replace them every year.

FYI Neinmeister just released some non-oiled filters for anyone interested. They look nice…
Larry Cable (03-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Mind those air filters