Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Grimy steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 07:51 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 365 Posts
Default Grimy steering wheel

My 2022 Boxster 25, a one owner car, was delivered to me by the dealer with a shiny steering wheel and a large stain in the center armrest. I am guessing from sunscreen. I tried using Porsche’s leather cleaner but it didn’t do much for the stain and was somewhat effective for the steering wheel. The cleaner smells and leaves a sticky residue. I searched and found recommendations for colourlock cleaner. Anybody use this product or any other recommendation? I read that Magic Eraser is abrasive. I could get a new armrest and steering wheel but I would like to attempt to clean it before spending a bunch of money. Thanks for your input. I will try the technique described in the video.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:43 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

Colourlock system is good. Do NOT use a magic eraser on the steering wheel. Too abrasive.
The following users liked this post:
Scrounger (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 11:41 AM
GTorBUST
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

try white vinegar / distilled water 50/50, porsche leather is very hard to clean/maintain
Old 03-12-2024, 05:45 PM
jmlmr2
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had great experience using Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner for addressing aggressive issues like you have here, and their Cockpit Premium for maintenance cleaning.

My suggestion is to go at the wheel and the center console a couple of times with the Deep Plastic Cleaner using a soft brush, wiping with a clean, damp microfiber in between cleaner applications. If that doesn't get it back to its original satin finish I'd try the same cleaner using a nylon non-scratch scrub pad like a 3m Dobie. Once clean I'd wipe it down with the Cockpit Premium using a microfiber - Cockpit includes UV protectant and components to help maintain the satin finish.

Before anyone gets upset about using plastic cleaner on leather, please keep in mind that for the most part automotive leathers (with the exception of some high-end "Aniline Leather" surfaces) have a clear top-coat of some sort, so the leather isn't porous or susceptible to absorbing the cleaner being applied. I've used both of these products on my 718 interiors (and many other cars across brands) with no ill effects. The hardest part will be getting that wheel clean - for the console you could step up to a drill brush to help agitate the cleaner, but with the wheel you're more or less limited to scrubbing by hand. I suspect the Deep Plastic Cleaner and a good brush will do the trick though.

Additionally, you can use the Cockpit Premium for maintenance cleaning across the interior, and go to the Deep Plastic Cleaner as backup for areas where you're not getting satisfactory results with Cockpit Premium.

Last edited by jmlmr2; 03-12-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:51 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmlmr2
I've had great experience using Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner for addressing aggressive issues like you have here, and their Cockpit Premium for maintenance cleaning.

My suggestion is to go at the wheel and the center console a couple of times with the Deep Plastic Cleaner using a soft brush, wiping with a clean, damp microfiber in between cleaner applications. If that doesn't get it back to its original satin finish I'd try the same cleaner using a nylon non-scratch scrub pad like a 3m Dobie. Once clean I'd wipe it down with the Cockpit Premium using a microfiber - Cockpit includes UV protectant and components to help maintain the satin finish.

Before anyone gets upset about using plastic cleaner on leather, please keep in mind that for the most part automotive leathers (with the exception of some high-end "Aniline Leather" surfaces) have a clear top-coat of some sort, so the leather isn't porous or susceptible to absorbing the cleaner being applied. I've used both of these products on my 718 interiors (and many other cars across brands) with no ill effects. The hardest part will be getting that wheel clean - for the console you could step up to a drill brush to help agitate the cleaner, but with the wheel you're more or less limited to scrubbing by hand. I suspect the Deep Plastic Cleaner and a good brush will do the trick though.

Additionally, you can use the Cockpit Premium for maintenance cleaning across the interior, and go to the Deep Plastic Cleaner as backup for areas where you're not getting satisfactory results with Cockpit Premium.
That's interesting. Thank you.,
Old 03-12-2024, 06:04 PM
jmlmr2
Intermediate

To be clear, I'd use the scrub pad as a last resort, and only with it warm/soaked so it is as pliable as possible. A soft brush is what I've gotten the best results with, using a circular motion and slowly working around the wheel. However, I've seen Larry from AMMO NYC use the Dobie pad on really grimy wheels where a brush just doesn't cut it. I've never had a wheel I couldn't get clean with Deep Plastic Cleaner and a brush.

I spray the cleaner on the brush rather than on the wheel as it's tough to get even spray distribution on a steering wheel. Use a LOT of the cleaner (not quite to the point it is dripping off the wheel, but nearly to that point) and let the chemicals do the work. I suspect it will take a few cycles of this brush/microfiber rinse process to get back to the satin finish.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:06 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmlmr2
To be clear, I'd use the scrub pad as a last resort, and only with it warm/soaked so it is as pliable as possible. A soft brush is what I've gotten the best results with, using a circular motion and slowly working around the wheel. However, I've seen Larry from AMMO NYC use the Dobie pad on really grimy wheels where a brush just doesn't cut it. I've never had a wheel I couldn't get clean with Deep Plastic Cleaner and a brush.

I spray the cleaner on the brush rather than on the wheel as it's tough to get even spray distribution on a steering wheel. Use a LOT of the cleaner (not quite to the point it is dripping off the wheel, but nearly to that point) and let the chemicals do the work. I suspect it will take a few cycles of this brush/microfiber rinse process to get back to the satin finish.
What is your impression of colourlock leather cleaner? I already ordered that because the Porsche cleaner is useless. My iphone makes the wheel look really shiny and disgusting. The leather also looks very red.

Last edited by subwoofer; 03-12-2024 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
jmlmr2
Intermediate

This is honestly the first time I've heard of colourlock, so I can't be much help there. From what I've seen in my brief search it seems to get good reviews so I suspect it may well do the trick here.

Someone on here might know what the Porsche leather cleaner actually is - most/all of their detailing gear is rebranded. I've found that some leather cleaners are made to be friendly to uncoated leather (handbags, shoes, etc.) and therefore don't have the cleaning power of something like the Nextzett Cockpit, let alone the Deep Plastic Cleaner. Since I suppose it may be possible to order some Porsche model with uncoated leather they may have erred on the side of caution with their choice of leather cleaner.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:07 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

My recommendation is Lithium Hypercleanse and a good microfiber scrub!!
Old 03-12-2024, 07:18 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
My recommendation is Lithium Hypercleanse and a good microfiber scrub!!
Thanks. I hadn't heard of it. Good reviews too. Looks like I have some options before throwing in the towel and ordering a new steering wheel.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:45 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 471 Posts

I’d suggest not taking the risk/effort, and money on products that might not work for you, and bring it to a professional for a full leather interior deep clean. This will bring back all the leather to a state where “General Maintenance” is only required going forward. Not to mention, giving you an interior thats more new to you, by giving you a piece of mind that the previous owner has been removed from the equation.

I use Gyeon Leather Mild, or Polestar for general leather/alcantara care.

Last edited by BoxKing; 03-12-2024 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:58 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I’d suggest not taking the risk/effort, and money on products that might not work for you, and bring it to a professional for a full leather interior deep clean. This will bring back all the leather to a state where “General Maintenance” is only required going forward. Not to mention, giving you an interior thats more new to you, by giving you a piece of mind that the previous owner has been removed from the equation.

I use Gyreon Leather Mild, or Polestar for general leather/alcantara care.
That’s a good idea as well. Supposedly, the dealer had the car detailed but I took their word and didn’t inspect it before paying for the car. I did complain about the shiny steering wheel and the stain during my test drive but their cleaning didn’t address the steering wheel or the armrest. The rest of the interior looked fine except for some wear that I had fixed. have a good detailing guy near my house. I could just use them.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:34 AM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

Gyeon strong leather cleaner with a soft car detailing brush. Spray directly into the brush aka load up the brush with a few sprays and scrub away at the leather. Once the whole steering wheel has been done, grab a microfiber towel and wipe off all the cleaner. It will be like how it came from the factory every single time.
The following users liked this post:
MrFunk (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 03:31 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Sonax leather cleaner foam with a horsehair brush followed up with a damp microfiber towel, then a dry one. Will remove the oils causing the shine and return the leather back to a matte finish. Sunscreen and hand moisturizer are the enemy of pristine leather.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:49 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate your input. Looks like there are plenty of decent leather cleaners. I will try the mild colourlock that I already ordered and go from there.

Quick Reply: Grimy steering wheel