Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Seat Selection for Spyder RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 10:22 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 696 Posts

LWB's so you can do seat inserts and kidney pillows. That's the only choice.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:31 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 248 Posts

I prefer the LWB for comfort over the 18 way. In any trip in the 18 way my lower back would start to bother me. In the buckets for 4-5 hours I was fine, 18 way after a couple of hours I would have an issue. Tried many different seat positions and I was always having an issue. So your MMV, for me it's LWB this time. Maybe in 10 years I'll be complaining about them, who knows, but for now they will be perfect.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:45 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
348SStb speaks in absolutes, when he should not. It’s the internet, dontcha know.

My brackets change the tilt based on the amount of lift you have currently. Not a huge amount, but enough to notice. Do the seats “recline”? No,

I can look up the manufacturer, if interested.
What are you referring to specifically? I’m not being wise — I am curious to know what I might have said in absolute terms.

I re-read my post and it appears I was very careful to qualify just about every statement or opinion.

If you’re referring to my early comment “the Porsche lightweight bucket seats (of this generation) DO NOT recline, ever” —

I’d say:
(1) What I said is factually correct (and you corroborated);
(2) It would have been better if I had said the “seatbacks” never recline, ever. I concede that.
(3) When I said “The aftermarket reclining brackets merely tilt the seat to a new permanent position,” it would have been better if I had said, “The aftermarket reclining brackets merely tilt the entire seat to a new position.” I concede that.

We won’t ever agree on the comfort level of the bucket seats, but I think we can agree that different people feel differently about them and the side of the coin that I express is very rarely expressed here on Rennlist and therefore useful to the original poster. Naturally being in the extreme minority around here means I’m going to be flamed, but I think folks should take it easy on those who express unpopular opinions having a solid basis on experience (and I don’t think you flamed me, so thanks).

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-06-2024 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:27 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by seefouress
I have a 2020 718 Spyder with 18-Ways which I really like a lot.

They certainly look awesome in this car, but I’ve heard a few negative comments about comfort level.
I'd tread carefully here if you don't have any experience with LWBS. Doesn't matter how many sing their praises if it doesn't work for you. Even with similar biometrics to someone commenting here, doesn't account for degenerative back, neck, hip, etc injuries (or comfort perception) unique to individuals. Similar comments for your passenger -- you married?

I didn't read your use case above. If most rides are local and you're out of the car in short order you'll likely be fine with LWBSs. If you intend to do some long distance driving, then this is a different animal completely -- proceed cautiously.

While trying out a seat in a showroom may be some indication of fit it may not be representative of comfort under way or over time. You belong to PCA? Find someone with LWBSs in your region and do a longer ride along.

I've had both, LWBS in my 987.2 Spyder and 18 ways in my 982 Spyder. Here are my observations on LWBS:

Even if you fit entry/exit is difficult with the top on -- off, becomes much easier to vertically plop down. Easiest is door full open and seat full back. If you routinely are in situations where you can't fully open the door, this will be problematic.

As discussed above these are fixed seats, personally I prefer the full upright position for my current spine. Brackets, generally lift the front of the seat to achieve recline. Depending on bracket design and manual seat height this may impact your rear seat travel limits. Generally this is around a 1" front lift, so we're not talking a huge amount..but that may be enough.

Additionally, the seat inserts (center sections) are removable. Many do this to put in a different design like pepita fabric, but you can also add a small amount of lumbar cushion also -- again another minor adjustment.

Good luck with the process!
The following 4 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
348SStb (02-06-2024), DFW01TT (02-07-2024), Mike981S (02-07-2024), seefouress (02-08-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 09:06 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 94 Posts

The LWBS are super comfortable. Drive 10+ hours on them on my GT3 with no problem. But I absolutely hate the juggling to get in and out. Fine for my track focused car. Not fine for my SRS. Will do plenty of mountain driving but absolutely no interest in tracking with it. In fact, just got initial email from PEC and great chance will be able to pick it up in time for Smokies GT.

In addition, my wife despises the buckets. So, I my SRS will have sofas despite being an “RS.” Build is locked. So no going back now… Spec’d the car for myself, not for resale.
The following 3 users liked this post by aalencar:
Brainofjjj (02-06-2024), Mike981S (02-07-2024), rwm (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 10:21 PM
seanix
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the OP hears the message loud and clear. Go LWB as noted by 99% of people here.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:15 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

There should not be even a second option imho!
Old 02-07-2024, 09:40 AM
AWDman
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It would not be hard for Porsche to offer the option of buying outright a second pair of seats (sofas/ lwbs ) to allow switching in and out at will. That would be another “profit center” and could have significant uptake. Dumbasses! Lol.

I sat in a 4rs with the 3d printed body form driver seat and it was rather snug (I’m 180 lbs, 33 inch waist). What I should have done was jump into the passenger seat right after but didn’t think of it. I went to check out the color of the car ( viola metallic ). It’s the one for sale in larchmont NY. Any thoughts from folks on the 3 d seats? I think I may go back to do a better comparison.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:55 AM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Ask your dealer to take a car with buckets out for a ride.
Go home, park in your garage, see what kind of process you endure on entry and exit.
This type of investigation prevented me from getting buckets. It's really hard to exit when you can only open the door to the first stop ... unless both cars are parked within inches of perfectly.
It's a Spyder, take the top down and step in, don't even need to open the door!
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:17 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm going with buckets, for me (6'4 250lbs) buckets are just fine, but NEED the recline brackets, I used US Millworks brackets for my 991.1 GT3 and am perfectly happy with them. My 718 GTS has the couches, also excellent and comfortable too. can't go wrong with either IMO
seefouress (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 12:58 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 661 Likes on 345 Posts

As everyone knows, you either love or hate the buckets. Either the buckets were designed for your body or they are not. I have buckets in my GT4 and they are very comfortable to me. If the sofas had both heating and cooling options, I might have given it more consideration for the SRS, but I also ordered the buckets for my SRS. I also like that you can swap out the inserts and already received my P1Designs inserts just waiting on my car (I also have them in my GT4).
Old 02-07-2024, 01:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 701 Posts

LWB for GT4RS

18 way for SRS.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:42 PM
shahaf2911
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think it would affect resale values ? I expect to keep it for quite some time and enjoy it but I’m still debating between the two as some family member do prefer the sport seats rather than the buckets (currently the buckets are ticketed). I do believe they will be comfortable but the entry and exist might be more difficult for them hence the dilemma (but not so difficult while the top will be down). I see a lot picking buckets but occasionally some otherwise.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:46 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,499 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by shahaf2911
Do you think it would affect resale values ? I expect to keep it for quite some time and enjoy it but I’m still debating between the two as some family member do prefer the sport seats rather than the buckets (currently the buckets are ticketed). I do believe they will be comfortable but the entry and exist might be more difficult for them hence the dilemma (but not so difficult while the top will be down). I see a lot picking buckets but occasionally some otherwise.
I don't think it'll affect resale, but I do think it'll narrow the pool of buyers a bit - so the car might sit longer. The cars I see sit longest, for the GT spyders, are the ones with the sofa seats. The buckets also change the feel of the drive significantly IME, you're just more connected to what's happening which is especially important in an RS. I'm pro bucket, but really you need to get the seats that work for your physique or situation.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Ferrarisimo (04-01-2024), n4v4nod (04-02-2024), seefouress (04-02-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 02:54 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by shahaf2911
@shahaf2911

Absolutely not.

Rennlist is populated by enthusiasts and hard-core enthusiasts, most of whom do not have ugly children. So they tend to prefer the bucket seats because they either have them or prefer them.

I have seen a great many — not a few, but a great many — many 991, 992, 981, and 982 cars with Sport Seats Plus (rather than the otherwise available bucket seats) both out in the wild and for sale at dealerships.

While there are many Rennlisters who say they wouldn’t buy a GT car without the bucket seats, dealers and wholesalers do not feel the same. It’s not an issue when a value is put on a car.

I would also like to say it wasn’t so long ago when the bucket seats were available at a $5,000 premium, and a great many people thought the price was ridiculous for a seat that offers less comfort. Before the flamers come out to play, I said “less comfort.” Let’s not debate if the bucket seats are comfortable. They are an alternative seat and most people who never owned a Porsche and who own other sports cars, but who have the money to buy a Porsche and just might take the plunge, but who have never even seen a bucket seat in their lifetimes, would say the buckets are “less comfortable” than the Sport Seats Plus.

I am not advocating for either; I am just saying from experience that it is absolutely not an issue for resale.

=====

You should also know that whenever someone uses the word “sofa,” it’s a code word for bias and you should account for that accordingly. It’s really a ridiculous term for the sportier version out of two sport seats offered by Porsche, which is a seat that is sportier than just about any seat in any non-Porsche that doesn’t have a bucket or race seat. It’s not a sofa — it’s a normal seat, not a bucket seat, that is very well bolstered. A sofa is in a 1985 Maserati Quartroporte or a 1985 Aston Martin Lagonda. Those are two of the few examples where I think the sardonic term “sofa” would actually describe what the seat is.

Last edited by 348SStb; 04-02-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Mike981S (04-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Seat Selection for Spyder RS