Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

4.0 vs 4.0 vs......5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 08:05 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
What was deficient in the T? Just curious.
Not deficient by any means, just preferences mostly:

911T: Dislikes:
- 7 spd manual. a lot. Clunky shifting and engagement.
- quietness of a tt engine, at least when I'm around other, louder NA engines. I had Cargraphic valve controller and that helped a lot though. And at high rpm's, it sang nicely.
- size: it feels very big to me as compared to my 718, despite the 992 having a 1" shorter wheelbase (and rear axle steering)
- dislike the tech inside. the gauges, the entire center section just seems sparse aside from one screen.
- tech: way too many menus just to do simple stuff like turning off the AC compressor. Simplest solution: "Hey Porsche, turn off my AC compressor." But that's still a button press, then waiting, and then hoping it hears me if the window is open.

My CGTS40 (FOR ME AT LEAST) is just perfect. The NA engine is great, smooth, and sounds fantastic with just OAP and Cargraphic controller. The 6spd manual is REALLY great, way better than the 7spd. The steering and overall mid-engine balance, along with the size, all just really suit me better.

The 911 is iconic, gorgeous, and really sexy. And I loved owning it. OWNING it. But I prefer DRIVING the 718. The one exception: the 911 can exit a corner like no other! Grip is its middle name. Incredible grip! If I was looking to win races, sure, a 911 with PDK. But I'm not.

Someone once said to me the only thing wrong with the Boxster/Cayman cars is that the 911 exists. I get that.

EDIT: I was chatting briefly online with Jonathan Lieberman, the writer/tester, and he did not like the 7spd in the 992. I asked if he could elaborate. He said "it's just wonky." I would agree.
Anyone driving these two cars back to back would pick the 6spd every time. No question.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 01-01-2024 at 08:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
fasteddie99 (01-02-2024), maschinetheist (01-30-2024), slilley (01-03-2024), UncleDude (01-01-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 08:59 AM
baege
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam

- quietness of a tt engine, at least when I'm around other, louder NA engines. I had Cargraphic valve controller and that helped a lot though. And at high rpm's, it sang nicely.
- size: it feels very big to me as compared to my 718, despite the 992 having a 1" shorter wheelbase (and rear axle steering)
- dislike the tech inside. the gauges, the entire center section just seems sparse aside from one screen.
- tech: way too many menus just to do simple stuff like turning off the AC compressor. Simplest solution: "Hey Porsche, turn off my AC compressor." But that's still a button press, then waiting, and then hoping it hears me if the window is open.

My CGTS40 (FOR ME AT LEAST) is just perfect. The NA engine is great, smooth, and sounds fantastic with just OAP and Cargraphic controller. The 6spd manual is REALLY great, way better than the 7spd. The steering and overall mid-engine balance, along with the size, all just really suit me better.

The 911 is iconic, gorgeous, and really sexy. And I loved owning it. OWNING it. But I prefer DRIVING the 718. The one exception: the 911 can exit a corner like no other! Grip is its middle name. Incredible grip! If I was looking to win races, sure, a 911 with PDK. But I'm not.

Someone once said to me the only thing wrong with the Boxster/Cayman cars is that the 911 exists. I get that.

EDIT: I was chatting briefly online with Jonathan Lieberman, the writer/tester, and he did not like the 7spd in the 992. I asked if he could elaborate. He said "it's just wonky." I would agree.
Anyone driving these two cars back to back would pick the 6spd every time. No question.
not to derail the thread too much, and I suppose it is on kinda on point to the OP's original question

but I had some similar recent experience regarding the 718 vs 992 and value

Adam (I presume!) was part of your motivation to get the T to also scratch that 911 itch?

I have to admit part of my motivation is that, it's the iconic porsche that I always saw growing up and wanted and when I see particular 911's (for me it's a widebody 991 with a lower suspension) I feel an emotion that I never feel for the 718

Anyways feeling that itch I recently drove a 992S manual

My impressions were actually more favourable than I expected, I didn't find it too big for street driving (but I never drove it on tight roads but rather on wide open roads). I found it sounded better than expected with the sport exhaust, I found the manual better than I expected, definitely better than any 991 7 speed manual, I found the throttle response decent and more NA than I expected, the handling was sharp and fun

It's definitely a pretty enjoyable car

but when I got back into my 718, it was the viscerality, sound and response of the NA 4.0, and the feeling of connection that comes with that, that made it clear to me that if I am going to go 911 it has to be NA

I also then did the value analysis and figured that 992 would cost me way more than my 718, due to depreciation, looking at 991.2 values it's pretty clear a 992S will depreciate about 10K a year until they reach about 100K at which point they may hold, the 718 4.0 isn't depreciating at all

so the test drive definitely ruled out the 992, hoping to get the chance to drive a 991.2 GT3T or 991.1 GTS RWD coupe to see how that goes
Old 01-02-2024, 09:04 AM
baege
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam

another sort of tangent, but not much since technically it is a 4.0 vs 5.0 comparison,

but Adam how would you compare the GT350 to the 4.0?

I grew up with 5.0's and a have soft spot for V8 sound

I test drove a bullit a few years back thinking it might do the trick, but found it way too big, sloppy and disconnected

I never drove a GT350 though and always wondered if the difference in front end and overall more focused nature would make it feel smaller and otherwise how it compares to a 718 4.0?

Last edited by baege; 01-02-2024 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:49 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
Adam (I presume!) was part of your motivation to get the T to also scratch that 911 itch?
Yup, Adam it is! LOL.
Yup! 911 itch was strong in this one! I had a 1999 996 Aero that I enjoyed, but the front end was WAY too light for me. So I tried again with the T. My childhood friend recently asked me: "So is it safe to say you got the 911 thing out of your system now?" Yes.

Originally Posted by baege
another sort of tangent, but not much since technically it is a 4.0 vs 5.0 comparison,

but Adam how would you compare the GT350 to the 4.0?

I grew up with 5.0's and a have soft spot for V8 sound

I test drove a bullit a few years back thinking it might do the trick, but found it way too big, sloppy and disconnected

I never drove a GT350 though and always wondered if the difference in front end and overall more focused nature would make it feel smaller and otherwise how it compares to a 718 4.0?
My GT350 was a beast! That 5.2 flat plane Voodoo engine was incredible. But it's a road course car much more than an old school V8 torque monster. No power below 3,450 RPM, but screaming to 8,250! The suspension and brakes are amazing. On the track, it's a scalpel. Albeit, a very big scalpel. So I let it go for the 911T. But I missed that V8. I'm a muscle car guy at heart. So I picked up a 2014 GT500. WOW! 662hp/631lb ft of instant torque in any gear at any speed. 0-60 in 3.5, and 202 MPH top end. Intoxicating. And with its sold rear axle, it rides like my old Plymouth. And I love it! The car makes no apologies for what it is. If I want to make turns, I'll take the Porsche that day.

My garage is balanced.

The following 4 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
baege (01-02-2024), fasteddie99 (01-03-2024), SleepyCyclist (01-02-2024), slilley (01-03-2024)

Quick Reply: 4.0 vs 4.0 vs......5.0