Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

4.0 vs 4.0 vs......5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 12:03 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
not to beat a dead horse (pun slightly intended) but the 4.0 is not really double the cost of the 5.0 given the lower depreciation cost, factor that in and it's a bargain!
Agreed. Totally valid point. Really almost wants to make me just take the plunge on the GT3. Depreciation, if any, will be just so minimal.

So let me put this out there........

For those who have had seat time in both the 718 4.0 and a GT3, are there ways in which the 718 is better or is the GT3 just noticeably superior in every way? There is the open top factor given that I have a Spyder, which is not insignificant, but I will leave that out of the equation for the sake of this particular discussion.

Last edited by VVG; 12-31-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:56 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Agreed. Totally valid point. Really almost wants to make me just take the plunge on the GT3. Depreciation, if any, will be just so minimal.

For those who have had seat time in both the 718 4.0 and a GT3, are there ways in which the 718 is better or is the GT3 just noticeably superior in every way? There is the open top factor given that I have a Spyder, which is not insignificant, but I will leave that out of the equation for the sake of this particular discussion.
It depends what you are doing with the cars. If you want to do hardcore tracking with the fastest possible times then GT3. If you want to track occasionally and not worry about times then either. If you are just going to drive it on the street then either will be great as you will not be able to explore to the full potential of either car on the street at least not without risking your life and other people's lives. Street is not the place explore the limits of these vehicles. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
sin911 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 01:04 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill_76

GT3 engine is in another galaxy compared the 718 4.0L, making the car feels like a real race car. 718 4.0L is a good engine but nothing special. Money/product 718 GT4//Spyder. Street enjoyment 718 Spyder, love to drive it with my wife in nice weather. Full GT race car experience: GT3
I'm getting a Spyder RS in June, let's see the feelings, only thing I will miss is the manual gearbox.

I had a 2013 Mustang GT that sold for a 981 GT4 several years ago, cannot compare a Mustang to any Porsche. I loved the 5.0 engine sound, but that's it.
Love your GT3. I grew up right down the road from you in Golden Beach. Visited recently. How do you get any of those porsches over 35 mph with that crazy traffic? That area was once paradise.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:35 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Agcsr25
It depends what you are doing with the cars. If you want to do hardcore tracking with the fastest possible times then GT3. If you want to track occasionally and not worry about times then either. If you are just going to drive it on the street then either will be great as you will not be able to explore to the full potential of either car on the street at least not without risking your life and other people's lives. Street is not the place explore the limits of these vehicles. Hope this helps.
This is so, so true. If you intend to track there will be a difference in performance, especially for a seasoned driver. If you’re going to use as only street, you won’t notice too big of a difference. My buddy and I did a canyon run in my car the other day and while I lust over a 991.2 GT3 Touring (classic 911 lines with a legendary engine and 6 speed mt), I told him that I would not be going much faster in turns with a GT3 due to safety. Some people have really high risk tolerance on the street, I don’t.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
baege
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG

while depreciation might be minimal on the GT3, it will likely still cost you quite a bit more than the spyder if you ever sold it

where I am, the sales tax payable on the purchase of the GT3 makes the on the road cost much higher than current sale prices

for example a 2018 Touring at about 250K cdn would cost me about 150 K plus my car, and I would then have to pay the tax on the difference which comes to about 20K

so all in all I will have 270K in the car, if I were to sell it I would never see that 20K in tax for a while at least, I don't see the 991.2 touring appreciating that much in the next five years

so if I go to sell in the next five years I am out 20K

I think the GTS 4.0 will likely hold at MSRP or slightly higher for the next 5 years, so if I go to sell I lose nothing in depreciation

in addition the GT3 comes with higher consumable costs

so the GT3 really will cost quite a bit more IF I had to sell it in the next five years

there is also the issue of being afraid of something happening to the car when you have so much invested in it

the large delta of 160K to move to the GT3 makes it tough equation for me, but I still find myself watching lots of GT3 touring youtube videos...
Old 12-31-2023, 02:52 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by Agcsr25
I get this point, but I will say that you could make the same argument about a 718 versus a BRZ, you also can't explore the full limits of that car on the street

for me it's not about track capability, it is about the enjoyment you get from a car

it's about the way the engine revs and sounds, the thrill of acceleration, the feel of the car at 7/10ths, the quality of the manual transmision and steering, the beauty of the car

I would say there is a siginficant delta between a 718 4.0 and a BRZ on the street in those areas which justifies the additional cost of a 718 over a BRZ

the question for some of us is whether that significant of a delta exists on the street between a 718 and GT3 in those areas to justify the extra expense of a GT3

VVG (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 01:18 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Get the Spyder for the street and for about $30k pick up a C6 Z06 for track duty.
6IXSPD (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 11:03 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Yes, but will the joy justify the cost,
Ahhh young grasshopper. You have made the ultimate point without realizing it. Joy and cost are not mutually exclusive. If the cost of an (luxury)item nags you, the joy is gone and it is time to sell it. To me, it sounds like the cost of a much more expensive car like a GT3 would always be in the back of your mind. And if that is the case, keep the less expensive car and enjoy. Whenever I start trying to justify the cost of a toy, I know it is time to sell it because the thought of money/cost kills the overall enjoyment of the toy.

I have a big *** boat with big *** diesel engines in it. A friend of mine brought a friend of his that was interested in boating. The first words out of his mouth were, “About how much does your boat cost per month?” And I said, “Save your money. Boating is not for you!”. It was literally the end of the conversation.

So by asking the question, you have already answered it! Enjoy the 718!!!

Last edited by flynlo; 01-01-2024 at 11:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by flynlo:
Agcsr25 (01-01-2024), GTSPYDER23 (01-01-2024), lowbee (01-01-2024), UncleDude (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 01:05 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flynlo
Ahhh young grasshopper. You have made the ultimate point without realizing it. Joy and cost are not mutually exclusive. If the cost of an (luxury)item nags you, the joy is gone and it is time to sell it. To me, it sounds like the cost of a much more expensive car like a GT3 would always be in the back of your mind. And if that is the case, keep the less expensive car and enjoy. Whenever I start trying to justify the cost of a toy, I know it is time to sell it because the thought of money/cost kills the overall enjoyment of the toy.

I have a big *** boat with big *** diesel engines in it. A friend of mine brought a friend of his that was interested in boating. The first words out of his mouth were, “About how much does your boat cost per month?” And I said, “Save your money. Boating is not for you!”. It was literally the end of the conversation.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to initially say that I did not know how to answer your question because I have been fortunate to not have to consider cost/depreciation vs joy when I have purchased my porsches or boats for that matter. I think flynlo has given very sage advice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Agcsr25:
flynlo (01-01-2024), GTSPYDER23 (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 02:11 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by flynlo

I would say it's not asking the question that is the issue, it's if after you get the item you will be worrying about the cost that is the issue, 2 different things.
we all need to make choices about how to spend our money on various possible things
and in the realm of cars, sometimes we contemplate making a big jump in the overall cost of a car and naturally think about whether the move makes sense in terms of value
that thought process does not in and of itself kill the joy if you go ahead with the purchase
case in point, I made a big leap a while back from a preowned bmw that cost me about 40K on the road to a 2014 Cayman S that was going to cost me about 85K on the road
more than double the price and more than I ever spent on a car
I hesitated and went through a similar analysis that I am going through now with a possible big jump to a 991.2 GT3
but in the end I went through with it and ordered that brand new 2014 Cayman S
and when I got it I absolutely loved it and couldn't get enough of it and it totally was worth the jump from the BMW in cost, and while I enjoyed it I never thought about the additional cost
so thinking about the value of something before getting it doesn't necessarily kill the joy
it's if after you get it you are worrying about how much you spent, that is the joy kill
the two issues are connected for sure, but not the same

Last edited by baege; 01-01-2024 at 02:18 PM.
AdamIsAdam (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 02:26 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

this thread is spot on for me, currently debating whether a move to a 991.1 GTS or a 991.2 GT3T is "worth it"

as pointed out by Lucifer it's not outright purchase price that determines cost but a bunch of factors, one of the most important being depreciation rate

so for example my 55K (on the road) 2018 bmw m240i cost me about 13K in depreciation for the 2 years I had it
whereas my GTS 4.0 has cost me nothing in depreciation for the almost 2 years I've had itdespite costing double the m240i

of course consumables on the porsche are higher than the m240i, It will end up costing me about $2000 in service for the 2 years I've had it whereas the m240i service was included

if you are paying cash for cars though you also have to factor in the money you could have made on the higher amount in the car

so roughly 50K extra in the cayman vs the m240i

50K at a secure 5% return, is about 2500 after tax on the depending on your marginal tax rate

but even with the added service cost and the loss of income from the higher purchase price, the GTS is still 8 k cheaper over 2 years than the m240i

and so the value proposition in m240i vs GTS 4.0 is a no brainer, as the GTS is way more enjoyable

it gets more complicated when you move from a pretty enjoyable car like the GTS 4.0 to a much more expensive car like the GT3 touring

to make that move it will cost me about 160K cdn

160K at 5% secure is about 5k after tax

you could argue that the touring will appreciate at a higher rate than the GTS 4.0 to make up for the loss of interest income on the 160K and that's where the value analysis gets even more complicated

the move to a 991.1 GTS is more of a no brainer since with the 50K cdn needed to make that move, there is not a lot of income loss involved and arguably the 991.1 GTS will also appreciate at a higher rate than the GTS 4.0

in the end though the heart wants what the heart wants and it's hard to quantify the value of realizing your dream car!
I like this answer- I have a gt3 991.2 with manual transmission -going to track it over the coming summer- but if I grow tired of that routine I’d strongly look at the GTS - never driven one but I hear it’s faster on the street and not too far off the gt3 on track. Probably one of the best options for most people
Old 01-01-2024, 06:32 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

I would say it's not asking the question that is the issue, it's if after you get the item you will be worrying about the cost that is the issue, 2 different things.
we all need to make choices about how to spend our money on various possible things
and in the realm of cars, sometimes we contemplate making a big jump in the overall cost of a car and naturally think about whether the move makes sense in terms of value
that thought process does not in and of itself kill the joy if you go ahead with the purchase
case in point, I made a big leap a while back from a preowned bmw that cost me about 40K on the road to a 2014 Cayman S that was going to cost me about 85K on the road
more than double the price and more than I ever spent on a car
I hesitated and went through a similar analysis that I am going through now with a possible big jump to a 991.2 GT3
but in the end I went through with it and ordered that brand new 2014 Cayman S
and when I got it I absolutely loved it and couldn't get enough of it and it totally was worth the jump from the BMW in cost, and while I enjoyed it I never thought about the additional cost
so thinking about the value of something before getting it doesn't necessarily kill the joy
it's if after you get it you are worrying about how much you spent, that is the joy kill
the two issues are connected for sure, but not the same
Agree completely. I will happily spend $$$$ if I get a tangible joy, benefit, etc. On the other hand, if I spend, say, $12 on a deli sandwich and it is horrible, I am bothered by it. For example, we have completely stopped eating at mediocre restaurants just to "go out". My wife and I both love to cook, have become quite good at it, and if we can make it better at home, I feel ripped off by going out to a mediocre place. On the other hand, I thoroughly can enjoy a high priced meal at a stellar eatery and not think twice about how much the meal cost if it was just that good. So, if a GT3 is just that good, I won't think twice after making the purchase. However, if I buy one and realize that the driving experience just isn't much more than my Spyder, I will be upset.
Again, it is not about cost. It is about value, and I have always been that way about everything. I don't think about the cost if the thrill is worth it. I think about the cost when the thrill ISN'T worth it.

Last edited by VVG; 01-01-2024 at 06:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
baege (01-02-2024), fasteddie99 (01-02-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 06:44 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG

For me, the ride quality is noticeably better in the GT4 than the GT3. And I don't even have the Pirelli Corsa on the GT3 that it came with, swapped it for the much more compliant P-Zeros. The size is another benefit that others have mentioned, after driving both back to back, the smaller footprint of the GT4 really allows it to sit more comfortably on tighter back roads - at least in my opinion. The GT3 tramlines, which the GT4 does not. Lastly, the exterior storage (aka frunk) in the GT4 is much larger than the GT3. Sure, the GT3 has space behind the back seats. But with LWBS, it is vary difficult to get larger suitcases in and extracting them out due to the opening with the LWBS fully pushed forward.

If either had to be a daily, the GT4 wins hands down.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:40 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,066 Likes on 1,761 Posts

I spent about $95k on my CGTS40. The most I ever spent at that point on a car. Part of my logic was cost of ownership when factoring in resale value. Well, the flaw in that theory is needing to actually SELL the car! I just may keep it forever, that's how much I love it and I do not regret spending the money for one second.

But a year later I spent about $135k for my 911T (still have 718) and while I love the looks, the build, and basically everything about the car, I just don't love driving it. I was going to keep it because I do feel like it's a special car, but the idea of keeping something I don't really love for that money, plus constantly wondering about resale value, well, I decided to let it go (and I don't "need" the money). It's an amazing car, just not for me. I get more enjoyment out of the 718. I feel very good about my decision to let it go and am glad it's going to a very good home and I did not get hurt in the process. Plus, I'm really glad I got to experience the car for 3k miles and a full season. It actually makes me love my 718 that much more.

So money and value is really subjective. I totally agree with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
baege (01-02-2024), maschinetheist (01-30-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 07:53 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I spent about $95k on my CGTS40. The most I ever spent at that point on a car. Part of my logic was cost of ownership when factoring in resale value. Well, the flaw in that theory is needing to actually SELL the car! I just may keep it forever, that's how much I love it and I do not regret spending the money for one second.

But a year later I spent about $135k for my 911T (still have 718) and while I love the looks, the build, and basically everything about the car, I just don't love driving it. I was going to keep it because I do feel like it's a special car, but the idea of keeping something I don't really love for that money, plus constantly wondering about resale value, well, I decided to let it go (and I don't "need" the money). It's an amazing car, just not for me. I get more enjoyment out of the 718. I feel very good about my decision to let it go and am glad it's going to a very good home and I did not get hurt in the process. Plus, I'm really glad I got to experience the car for 3k miles and a full season. It actually makes me love my 718 that much more.

So money and value is really subjective. I totally agree with that.
What was deficient in the T? Just curious.

Quick Reply: 4.0 vs 4.0 vs......5.0