Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

4.0 vs 4.0 vs......5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 04:49 AM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG

And when I speak of ownership experience, I am not just talking about the fastest track times. To me, unless one is racing for money or is a contender to be Formula One world champion, track times mean nothing. It is simply about enjoyment, and the subjective experience including performance, reliability, design, build quality......everything.

Discuss.
As a track rat I am always perplexed by these discussions about gt cars that are for the most part only used on the street and occasionally at that. Pick what makes you happy. Both the gt3 and 718 gt car will give you more than enough performance on the street and both have great reliability, design and build quality. It comes down to subjective things that only you can decide on. I have had a gt3rs, gt3 and currently a 718 gt4. I could be just as happy with the gt3 or gt4 on the street. I think people that don’t seriously track don’t interpret “performance” of a vehicle in the same way.
The following users liked this post:
NastyHabits (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 09:15 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

this thread is spot on for me, currently debating whether a move to a 991.1 GTS or a 991.2 GT3T is "worth it"

as pointed out by Lucifer it's not outright purchase price that determines cost but a bunch of factors, one of the most important being depreciation rate

so for example my 55K (on the road) 2018 bmw m240i cost me about 13K in depreciation for the 2 years I had it
whereas my GTS 4.0 has cost me nothing in depreciation for the almost 2 years I've had itdespite costing double the m240i

of course consumables on the porsche are higher than the m240i, It will end up costing me about $2000 in service for the 2 years I've had it whereas the m240i service was included

if you are paying cash for cars though you also have to factor in the money you could have made on the higher amount in the car

so roughly 50K extra in the cayman vs the m240i

50K at a secure 5% return, is about 2500 after tax on the depending on your marginal tax rate

but even with the added service cost and the loss of income from the higher purchase price, the GTS is still 8 k cheaper over 2 years than the m240i

and so the value proposition in m240i vs GTS 4.0 is a no brainer, as the GTS is way more enjoyable

it gets more complicated when you move from a pretty enjoyable car like the GTS 4.0 to a much more expensive car like the GT3 touring

to make that move it will cost me about 160K cdn

160K at 5% secure is about 5k after tax

you could argue that the touring will appreciate at a higher rate than the GTS 4.0 to make up for the loss of interest income on the 160K and that's where the value analysis gets even more complicated

the move to a 991.1 GTS is more of a no brainer since with the 50K cdn needed to make that move, there is not a lot of income loss involved and arguably the 991.1 GTS will also appreciate at a higher rate than the GTS 4.0

in the end though the heart wants what the heart wants and it's hard to quantify the value of realizing your dream car!
slilley (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 07:28 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,032 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Much of this is about personal preferences and emotional desire to own certain cars.

I sold my 2018 GT350 for my 2023 911T. The Shelby is an incredible driving car. After one season in my second 911 and I concluded that I prefer driving a smaller mid-engine car, and ALSO must have a true muscle car in the garage. So I sold (without losing money) my T and bought a 2014 GT500 to scratch that itch.

I will never sell my CGTS40! I absolutely love that car! The smaller size vs the 911, the NA engine, the great 6spd gear box, the mid engine balance.

And as for the GT500, that kind of supercharged instant 662hp/631ft lbs of power in an old school, live axle car in a whole different experience.

I have friends whose goal is to experience as many cars as possible in life. I like that strategy. I'll be adding a new Miata to my lineup this year because, well, why not?!

So my final answer is never give up a mid engine car. 👍

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 12-30-2023 at 07:29 AM.
baege (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 09:18 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Agcsr25
As a track rat I am always perplexed by these discussions about gt cars that are for the most part only used on the street and occasionally at that. Pick what makes you happy. Both the gt3 and 718 gt car will give you more than enough performance on the street and both have great reliability, design and build quality. It comes down to subjective things that only you can decide on. I have had a gt3rs, gt3 and currently a 718 gt4. I could be just as happy with the gt3 or gt4 on the street. I think people that don’t seriously track don’t interpret “performance” of a vehicle in the same way.
Yes, but will the joy justify the cost, in any one's persons mind. In my situation, for instance, I have never actually driven a GT3 on the street or a track. Most of the cars I have ever bought in my life, I have never actually driven prior to purchase for any length of time to really be meaningful. That leaves me with reviews, and other's experience on which to make the call on an expensive purchase.

The best argument, in my mind, is actually the one based on the lack of depreciation. These cars just hold their value so well, that is isn't much different than money in the bank for the amount of miles they are typically driven.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:34 AM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VVG
Yes, but will the joy justify the cost, in any one's persons mind. In my situation, for instance, I have never actually driven a GT3 on the street or a track. Most of the cars I have ever bought in my life, I have never actually driven prior to purchase for any length of time to really be meaningful. That leaves me with reviews, and other's experience on which to make the call on an expensive purchase.

The best argument, in my mind, is actually the one based on the lack of depreciation. These cars just hold their value so well, that is isn't much different than money in the bank for the amount of miles they are typically driven.
Joy is subjective. Some people get joy out of driving their gt3 to the country club only on sunny days. Others like myself get joy out of tracking and experiencing the performance of the vehicle. I don't even turn the sound sytem on in these cars because I love the sound of the engine and exhaust. Music to my ears. My porsches come with windshield wipers and they all get driven rain or shine. My cost to operate these gt cars is out the roof due to tracking so much. My 21 gt4 already has 20000 miles on it so my joy does not come from lack of depreciation or it would have far less miles and sit in the garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Agcsr25:
Brainofjjj (12-30-2023), GTSPYDER23 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 02:47 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Joy is subjective. Some people get joy out of driving their gt3 to the country club only on sunny days. Others like myself get joy out of tracking and experiencing the performance of the vehicle. I don't even turn the sound sytem on in these cars because I love the sound of the engine and exhaust. Music to my ears. My porsches come with windshield wipers and they all get driven rain or shine. My cost to operate these gt cars is out the roof due to tracking so much. My 21 gt4 already has 20000 miles on it so my joy does not come from lack of depreciation or it would have far less miles and sit in the garage.
I would ask, then, would you get the same enjoyment tracking a car that is far less expensive to run on a track. A buddy of mine built up a Toyota GR86 as a dedicated track car. Cost less than $60k after all was said and done, and he can hang with just about anything except on a long straight. And then also ask yourself, would you enjoy a GT3 that much more on a track than your GT4 to justify the significantly higher cost. The question still holds.

Last edited by VVG; 12-30-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:55 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 351 Posts

What depreciation? With 20k miles you are getting the best VFM possible..
Old 12-30-2023, 05:02 PM
atx_cayman
AutoX

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I traded in a 2018 Mustang GT for my 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0. While I absolutely loved the Mustang, I still think the Cayman is “double” the car. The interior, steering feel, handling, and powertrain is simply sublime. Despite being smaller in displacement and having 2 fewer cylinders, I think the 4.0 in the Porsche has better throttle response than the 5.0 Coyote, and is very linear in power delivery.

I still have a soft spot for that distinct V8 sound, so much so that I’m looking into buying a 2024 Mustang GT next year (but still keeping the Cayman, of course). But if I had to keep just a single car, I would pick the 718 hands down. It’s just a better package overall, even at 2x the cost of a Mustang.
The following 3 users liked this post by atx_cayman:
AdamIsAdam (12-30-2023), baege (12-31-2023), slilley (12-31-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lucifer
What depreciation? With 20k miles you are getting the best VFM possible..
I agree great VFM but the depreciation on a 21 with 3000 miles vs 20000 miles is a fair amount. So many people get nervous and freakout over gt cars with 10000 miles on it as if they were not designed to be driven. Have some friends at several big volume porsche dealers and they see this all the time. 2016 GT3RS's with 1000-2000 miles on them traded in that have had two or three owners. I did not sell any of my other gt cars but gave them to my children(four children) who like their father love tracking cars. They pay the maintenance and insurance. Definitely a good deal for them.

VVG, I prefer any day on the track to a day off the track. I do track other cars such as my 16 GT350 which is fun but nowhere near the porsche gt cars. It is a lot more work hustling a GT350 around the track. It is very hard to defy the laws of physics with all that weight and layout. Interestingly, I probably drove the GT3's better on the track than the GT4 and loved coming into a turn and loading the front end on the 911 platform. Definitely two different techniques driving GT3 and GT4 but both amazing. I am not hear to argue or try to tell you what car will make you happier as I do not know what brings you joy. I'm just saying be honest with yourself and then go do it and enjoy. I will continue to be happy even though I am burning brakes, rubber, fuel and certainly money with my fellow track rats.
The following 3 users liked this post by Agcsr25:
Brainofjjj (12-31-2023), fasteddie99 (12-31-2023), Lucifer (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 06:26 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,032 Likes on 1,745 Posts

What a dad!
Old 12-30-2023, 07:14 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
What a dad!
I have been blessed with four great children. All with advanced engineering degrees, never a day in trouble and always there to help their family, friends and community. It is a true joy to share our passion for engineering and automobiles together as a family.
The following 6 users liked this post by Agcsr25:
AdamIsAdam (12-30-2023), baege (12-31-2023), fasteddie99 (12-31-2023), Lucifer (12-30-2023), rwm (01-01-2024), VVG (12-31-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-30-2023, 08:27 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

I have had my 718 GT4 for 2 years now. I just picked up a GT3 earlier this month. Now I have not driven my GT4 in few months. Today, I went to the garage to pick up my GT4 for a spin. Why? Because I was thinking of selling it. I thought, why would I drive the GT4 when I have a GT3 in the garage...?

Let me tell you, reunited with the GT4 felt like wearing a worn baseball mitt. Immediately, I understood the differences between ride, size, shift, etc. I am now rethinking if I should get rid of the GT4. Maybe there is a place for both cars...As much as I love my new GT3, the GT4 is no slouch. Not talking about speed, but the tactical feelings.

In terms of value, well I got the GT4 before the price increases, so the GT3 is more than double the cost of the GT4! Yeah, I guess you will never fully know until you try both lived with it. But for those who have a GT4/Spyder, we have an amazing car, don't need to be jealous of GT3s, etc
The following 2 users liked this post by JCZ5:
AdamIsAdam (12-30-2023), GTSPYDER23 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 10:55 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
I have had my 718 GT4 for 2 years now. I just picked up a GT3 earlier this month. Now I have not driven my GT4 in few months. Today, I went to the garage to pick up my GT4 for a spin. Why? Because I was thinking of selling it. I thought, why would I drive the GT4 when I have a GT3 in the garage...?

Let me tell you, reunited with the GT4 felt like wearing a worn baseball mitt. Immediately, I understood the differences between ride, size, shift, etc. I am now rethinking if I should get rid of the GT4. Maybe there is a place for both cars...As much as I love my new GT3, the GT4 is no slouch. Not talking about speed, but the tactical feelings.

In terms of value, well I got the GT4 before the price increases, so the GT3 is more than double the cost of the GT4! Yeah, I guess you will never fully know until you try both lived with it. But for those who have a GT4/Spyder, we have an amazing car, don't need to be jealous of GT3s, etc
for the money, the GT4/Spyder are PEAK PORSCHE.

Old 12-30-2023, 11:25 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 513 Likes on 230 Posts

GT3 engine is in another galaxy compared the 718 4.0L, making the car feels like a real race car. 718 4.0L is a good engine but nothing special. Money/product 718 GT4//Spyder. Street enjoyment 718 Spyder, love to drive it with my wife in nice weather. Full GT race car experience: GT3
I'm getting a Spyder RS in June, let's see the feelings, only thing I will miss is the manual gearbox.

I had a 2013 Mustang GT that sold for a 981 GT4 several years ago, cannot compare a Mustang to any Porsche. I loved the 5.0 engine sound, but that's it.
GTSPYDER23 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 09:44 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by atx_cayman
I traded in a 2018 Mustang GT for my 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0. While I absolutely loved the Mustang, I still think the Cayman is “double” the car. The interior, steering feel, handling, and powertrain is simply sublime. Despite being smaller in displacement and having 2 fewer cylinders, I think the 4.0 in the Porsche has better throttle response than the 5.0 Coyote, and is very linear in power delivery.

I still have a soft spot for that distinct V8 sound, so much so that I’m looking into buying a 2024 Mustang GT next year (but still keeping the Cayman, of course). But if I had to keep just a single car, I would pick the 718 hands down. It’s just a better package overall, even at 2x the cost of a Mustang.
not to beat a dead horse (pun slightly intended) but the 4.0 is not really double the cost of the 5.0 given the lower depreciation cost, factor that in and it's a bargain!

I

Quick Reply: 4.0 vs 4.0 vs......5.0