Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Why didn't Porsche simply increase the price of their 718 GT models if they were so p

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 01:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
AFAIK only in ROK (CA).

+1
I also created a thread about what the ADM for the S/T would be and I predicted it was going to $200k-$250k over. Funny how that ended up being the number to get one if you weren't a 918 VIP or top dealer customer with an MSRP dealer.
Old 12-26-2023, 01:14 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 153 Posts

I will state that will many years in the business I never knew of a bunch of Dealers colluding on ADMs, but the answer is fairly simple that many will watch what others are doing an possibly follow The Key is most Dealers do not want their competitors know what they are doing so in most cases there is no real set on pricing. In fact over decades of selling I never told anyone what I was doing ,,exactly, on pricing or discounts because they was the benefit over your competitors. Sure it seems apparent there must be something going on, yet the reality is Dealer Groups operate like the NFL, they want to go to the Super Bowl of profits so they are not sharing their Game Plan with anyone.

ADMs , low, high or none rise and fall with supply and demand and the unfounded ( in my view ) fear of the World becoming battery powered tomorrow , has folks operating on emotion as opposed to logic. Nothing new here, since for many of us a Porsche is a lustmobile , passion is key, and that does stir emotions and desire.

If we follow history, if supplies open up, or we have long periods of high interest rates , then prices as a whole will drop.
Old 12-26-2023, 02:06 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 967 Likes on 456 Posts

The Taycan market is soft yet I didn't see any negative market adjustments for them at my local dealer.
The following users liked this post:
0-Day (12-27-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 08:51 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WillyDaP
I will state that will many years in the business I never knew of a bunch of Dealers colluding on ADMs, but the answer is fairly simple that many will watch what others are doing an possibly follow The Key is most Dealers do not want their competitors know what they are doing so in most cases there is no real set on pricing. In fact over decades of selling I never told anyone what I was doing ,,exactly, on pricing or discounts because they was the benefit over your competitors. Sure it seems apparent there must be something going on, yet the reality is Dealer Groups operate like the NFL, they want to go to the Super Bowl of profits so they are not sharing their Game Plan with anyone.

ADMs , low, high or none rise and fall with supply and demand and the unfounded ( in my view ) fear of the World becoming battery powered tomorrow , has folks operating on emotion as opposed to logic. Nothing new here, since for many of us a Porsche is a lustmobile , passion is key, and that does stir emotions and desire.

If we follow history, if supplies open up, or we have long periods of high interest rates , then prices as a whole will drop.
One thing that is different today then even 5-10 years ago is that most Porsche dealers are now owned by the same corporate vampires (AutoNation, Sonic, etc) so I'm sure the dealers in the same vampire family talk to each other.
The following 2 users liked this post by usctrojanGT3:
Larry Cable (12-28-2023), ldamelio (12-28-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 08:58 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
The Taycan market is soft yet I didn't see any negative market adjustments for them at my local dealer.
It is crazy. Those cars depreciate for like 30% on the first year. Seems unreasonable they go for MSRP.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:27 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

The taycans still depreciate pretty good compared to other stuff in that price bracket that are similar. 6 figure sedan DD's have always been bad for resale. An S class merc is brutal, and so is a 7 series bmw. I saw my first i7 Bmw rolling around in my neighbourhood 2 days ago that didn't have a dealer plate and I suspect that thing will depreciate so bad it'll make a normal 7 series look like a good investment.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (12-28-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 08:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,022 Likes on 5,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
Genuinely curious.I understand that in most markets, additional dealer markup is illegal, but even in those markets, the waiting lists for the Spyder/GT4 were insane. If the market was willing to accept a 10-20-30k ADM on these models, why didn't Porsche increase the base price?
They are?

Source please.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:01 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
They are?

Source please.
He must be referring to the European Markets.
To the OP, most of Porsche sports car lineup increased +/- 10% back in May/June of this year. Prior to that, the 718 lineup GT4/Spyder increased ~5% for its last MY of production, I built a 911 T when I was looking for my GT4 around this time last year, and the build came out to 135K, same car on the configurator today goes for 148K
Old 12-30-2023, 12:57 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
It is crazy. Those cars depreciate for like 30% on the first year. Seems unreasonable they go for MSRP.
Around here they are discounting them. They don't post it but walk into a dealer and they offered me $10k off without even trying.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:51 PM
MOGI
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 38 Posts

So, as many said Porsche did increase their MSRP (likely in accordance w/ demand, but more probably due to rising costs for them - no one is immune from inflation). I think, however, the ADM game has less to do with Porsche and more to do with the dealerships. Porsche makes X amount per car they offload to the dealers and once their bottom line is met, they don't then seem to care how the cars are sold at the dealership level. Add't, PAG stands to make more from ADMs if the bloated car price is financed through Porsche Financial Services. Thus, as long as there is demand and ADMs are not illegal, they will continue to exist due to human desire to maximize profit.

There also exists a delicate balance between fattening the PAG bottom line and fattening the dealership bottom line. To abruptly raise MSRP in an effort to siphon off any profits the dealerships were expecting (in the form of ADMs) probably would get an uproar from the dealerships, i.e. the $300M lawsuit from FL Pcar dealership, The Collection, to PCNA for decreased allocations

Just to be clear, as a consumer, I would prefer it if ADMs became illegal. However, as the world trends more towards recession, I think ADMs will becomes less ridiculous overall (it already has)
Old 01-01-2024, 05:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by MOGI
...... i.e. the $300M lawsuit from FL Pcar dealership, The Collection, to PCNA for decreased allocations.
Google

It claims that Porsche then withheld all pool-car allocations. Porsche says that pool cars are assigned to dealers at the factory’s discretion and typically account for no more than 20 percent of available inventory. Another Porsche dealer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the vehicles give the automaker the ability to “reward dealers who are doing a great job and curtail people that don’t want to do what the manufacturer wants.”
Old 01-01-2024, 06:08 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Google

It claims that Porsche then withheld all pool-car allocations. Porsche says that pool cars are assigned to dealers at the factory’s discretion and typically account for no more than 20 percent of available inventory. Another Porsche dealer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the vehicles give the automaker the ability to “reward dealers who are doing a great job and curtail people that don’t want to do what the manufacturer wants.”
This is correct. I actually spoke to one of the largest dealers in SoCal who explained to me the allocation system is very formula driven the US. If 1000 GT4RS's are going to be allocated in America for 2024 then 20% are held by Porsche regional reps who can reward specific dealerships that say punch a bunch of Macan's as "sold" to hit some goal for that regional rep and start the warranty period or compete in some kind of contest Porsche does. The other 80% of allocations are awarded based on volume. If the #1 dealer in sells 5% of all Porsche's then they will get 5% of that 80% of allocations left, #2 4.5%, #3 4%, etc.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:26 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooler2442
This is correct. I actually spoke to one of the largest dealers in SoCal who explained to me the allocation system is very formula driven the US. If 1000 GT4RS's are going to be allocated in America for 2024 then 20% are held by Porsche regional reps who can reward specific dealerships that say punch a bunch of Macan's as "sold" to hit some goal for that regional rep and start the warranty period or compete in some kind of contest Porsche does. The other 80% of allocations are awarded based on volume. If the #1 dealer in sells 5% of all Porsche's then they will get 5% of that 80% of allocations left, #2 4.5%, #3 4%, etc.
It's also probably a way for PCNA to reward good behavior by dealers.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:56 AM
jungleahri
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a reminder that not everyone lives in the Unites States where every car is basically a used car - that is, afaik US car market is unique in that "dealers" are multimillionaires that buy hundreds of cars from the manufacturer, and then they sell it at whatever price they want - basically like a used car.

In my case, being a Korean living in Korea, new cars can only be sold at MSRP or less.
That did indeed lead to expensive cars with high demand being resold after purchase for ~$20k profit, but now that the economy is in the ****ter, it's already a -20k depreciation the second the ignition is on.

In summary,
1. Not all countries have dealerships that are private family businesses who essentially buy out the cars from the manufacturers and then sell them at whatever price they want.
2. At least in Korea, my 718 4.0 bgts newly specced at 119k USD MSRP including options arriving to port next week, will be depreciated to around 99k the very millisecond I put my key in ignition.
3. I guess Porsche could set MSRP differently per state in the US, but honestly that's your problem with being one of the wealthiest countries with a car market structure that greatly incentivises collusion by multibillionaire dealers.

Last edited by jungleahri; 01-02-2024 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:22 AM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleahri
Just a reminder that not everyone lives in the Unites States where every car is basically a used car - that is, afaik US car market is unique in that "dealers" are multimillionaires that buy hundreds of cars from the manufacturer, and then they sell it at whatever price they want - basically like a used car.

In my case, being a Korean living in Korea, new cars can only be sold at MSRP or less.
That did indeed lead to expensive cars with high demand being resold after purchase for ~$20k profit, but now that the economy is in the ****ter, it's already a -20k depreciation the second the ignition is on.

In summary,
1. Not all countries have dealerships that are private family businesses who essentially buy out the cars from the manufacturers and then sell them at whatever price they want.
2. At least in Korea, my 718 4.0 bgts newly specced at 119k USD MSRP including options arriving to port next week, will be depreciated to around 99k the very millisecond I put my key in ignition.
3. I guess Porsche could set MSRP differently per state in the US, but honestly that's your problem with being one of the wealthiest countries with a car market structure that greatly incentivises collusion by multibillionaire dealers.
1. It is only true for lot cars, which I don't think is the majority when talking 718 \ 911 (probably is for Macans and Cayennes). For "customer cars" the dealer is basically just a middle man between PAG\PCNA and the customer
2. How is that possible? If the demand is so high, I assume 90% of people that want and can afford one, don't get an allocation

Quick Reply: Why didn't Porsche simply increase the price of their 718 GT models if they were so p