Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Bi-Xennon vs LED PDLS lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 11:16 PM
RennSportV8
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default From base 25w to LED PDLS+ is from Night to Day

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
To the OP, the comments above accurately communicate that it should be 'no big deal' if the car is right. I'm 52-years old and work in the lighting industry, my 4 comments:
  • The CGTS in 2023 has the 35W version (so, it's the 'best of' Xenon)
  • Yes, the LEDs ARE brighter / whiter and better for humans to see with at night.
  • I didn't know there was an LED 'bulb' option available to 'upgrade' a Xenon car. That would be worth investigating if you are over 45 and will be doing lots of night driving.
  • I also liked the 'nostalgia' element of the Xenon. Both the 4-dot DRL structure AND the slight bit of warm-up time when you switch on the Xenons and they come up to full brightness.
I have both ends of the light spectrum in two 982s and also have adaptive LEDs in an Audi Q7. No comparison. For an old person like me, the LEDs are a should have for extended night driving. I drove 1,174 miles in one day with LED PDLS+ and18-way seats, never once bothered by any condition encountered. Drove my Boxster with base bi-xenon 25w lights for a few hours on a stretch of 100% dark and twisty highway, speeds around 80mph and thought I was working in a coal mine. Ok, coal mine is too much but, you get the idea, there is no substitute for more and better distributed light. Love the four light-dot signature all this generation's cars should have had including the base anything. Off topic maybe but for the light signature Porsche did not give you, the manual A/C they did, just like you had in your Yugo, the TV you don't get when you paid for PTV and more, I call this Group the "Car *****" in the Seinfeld use of the word. You never tell a customer "you should have been more careful" when they have paid you your premium asking price and, a basic Porsche anything cannot ever be a Yugo. No nostalgia here, back to the future for me.
The following users liked this post:
Bearrun21 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 12:00 PM
GarrettGTS
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

As usual, when someone asks about GTS lights, a bunch of GT4 experts chime in with misinformation…

Look back at post #10. There are three levels of lights. GT4 comes standard with the lowest (lightest?) version, with no washer nipples. Many people find those lights lacking, but many also like the smooth look with no washers. GTS comes standard with the mid-level ones. You can’t avoid the washer nipples on a GTS, and these standard ones have a narrow 4-dot DRL, and swivel with the steering. Many folks (myself included) find these to be just fine. I’m in my 50’s and do drive at night and in the rain.
The following 2 users liked this post by GarrettGTS:
Bearrun21 (01-06-2024), Ramon Vennik (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 03:18 PM
neteng101
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettGTS
GTS comes standard with the mid-level ones. You can’t avoid the washer nipples on a GTS, and these standard ones have a narrow 4-dot DRL, and swivel with the steering.
Wonder if '24 has changed this or the online configurator is broken - nipples only appear once PDLS is selected on the GTS 4.0. Looks like the 25w standard version without LED high beams or PDLS LED's only.

The base 718 has an optional bi-xenon + PDLS option, not the GTS 4.0.

Last edited by neteng101; 01-06-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:40 PM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by neteng101
Wonder if '24 has changed this or the online configurator is broken - nipples only appear once PDLS is selected on the GTS 4.0. Looks like the 25w standard version without LED high beams or PDLS LED's only.

The base 718 has an optional bi-xenon + PDLS option, not the GTS 4.0.
The configurator image doesn't show the correct headlights...at least it didn't when I ordered my 24 CGTS. The standard Bi-Xenon PDLS headlights on the GTS are on the 24 GTS. Mine was delivered in Sept. Headlights are the same as on my 23 GTS.

2023 and 2024 below

neteng101 (01-07-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 12:30 AM
RennSportV8
Track Day

Does yours have 4 tailpipes?
The following 2 users liked this post by RennSportV8:
DFW01TT (02-19-2024), UncleDude (02-19-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 02:38 PM
RennSportV8
Track Day

Thanks for making me feel old, I have a son who is almost 50, he makes me feel old also, but then I remember, I'm European, never old. Enough of that, a bit more towards the point I was working on; Not long ago I collaborated with some of the best industrial designers here and abroad, my favorite playground was product development and marketing. When as a team we arrive at something we term as "the product signature" and then fail to sign our product with it we have failed.

Adding the 4-dot DRL Porsche product signature to the base lights would add less than ½ pound to any car. Sending a 250K GT4 RS out the door without the signature, we have failed both the Manufacturer and the Customer. A company in Taiwan now makes the perfect 982 style headlight, 4-LED dot DRL no washer needed no extra weight.

If anyone things ½ a pound more is significant they should put "poop before drive" in their pre-flight checklist.
The following 2 users liked this post by RennSportV8:
fasteddie99 (02-20-2024), neteng101 (02-19-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 03:25 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

As usual, when someone asks about GTS lights, a bunch of GT4 experts chime in with misinformation…

Look back at post #10. There are three levels of lights. GT4 comes standard with the lowest (lightest?) version, with no washer nipples. Many people find those lights lacking, but many also like the smooth look with no washers. GTS comes standard with the mid-level ones. You can’t avoid the washer nipples on a GTS, and these standard ones have a narrow 4-dot DRL, and swivel with the steering. Many folks (myself included) find these to be just fine. I’m in my 50’s and do drive at night and in the rain.
shame most of that is incorrect :-(
Old 02-21-2024, 07:17 PM
RennSportV8
Track Day

Default Crazy Eyes base 982 headlights

Sorry maybe I posted the reply in the wrong place, old people...

Thanks for making me feel old, I have a son who is almost 50, he makes me feel old also, but then I remember, I'm European, never old. Enough of that, a bit more towards the point I was working on; Not long ago I collaborated with some of the best industrial designers here and abroad, my favorite playground was product development and marketing. When as a team we arrive at something we term as "the product signature" and then fail to sign our product with it we have failed.

Adding the 4-dot DRL Porsche product signature to the base lights would add less than ½ pound to any car. Sending a 250K GT4 RS out the door without the signature, we have failed both the Manufacturer and the Customer. A company in Taiwan now makes the perfect 982 style headlight, 4-LED dot DRL no washer needed no extra weight.

If anyone things ½ a pound more is significant they should put "poop before drive" in their pre-flight checklist.

Every time I see a 4-dot pattern coming at me I can't help it, I get upset. This is what I see in the base headlights.

Steve Buscemi as "Crazy Eyes" or base 982 headlights little difference

Old 02-21-2024, 07:29 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Dude, same post 2 up…you ok?
RennSportV8 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:14 PM
RennSportV8
Track Day

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Dude, same post 2 up…you ok?
I am just old, what is wrong with you dictionary? Same, revised and reposted not all same to some. Thinking I replied in the wrong place, I revised, added image and reposted then went back to erase the previous version. Could not figure it out, had to run, catch the bus back to the home. Be a good boy and tell me how to erase the old one, I don't see how it can be dome.

Thank you, son.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:27 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Is this a BOT…lol.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xennon vs LED PDLS lights