Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

How much does size matter? 991.2 GT3 or stick with 718?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 08:16 AM
baege
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 104 Posts
Default How much does size matter? 991.2 GT3 or stick with 718?

Not getting any younger and seeing people get ill and pass away around me, I find myself thinking life is too short to not enjoy it as much as we can
and my thing seems to be cars so I am thinking I should make a move to a car that will bring me the most joy
and the cars that bring me the most joy are naturally aspirated torquey manual compact cars that handle well and I don't track my cars so I am talking pure street driving
like many on here I've made moves up the car food chain over the years, all starting with a move from my automatic 1980 toyota tercel to a manual 1985 Omni GLH
first time I drove the GLH coming from that automatic tercel, it blew me away with the power and torque of that 2.2 HO compared with the 1.5 in the tercel. I was hooked.
and ever since then I've sought out the thrill of that car that brings you to that next level
One of the most dramatic of those moves for me was going from a 2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI coupe to a 2014 Cayman S
First time I drove a 981S (pdk at that!) I fell in love with it and I ordered one (stripper manual) and couldn't get enough of driving it
For about 10 years now I have not been able to find a car (in my budget) that I have felt that feeling that I had when I drove that 981S where I felt I need to have this
Lately I have been thinking that maybe the 991.2 GT3 manual would be that car
I do wonder though if some light mods on the 718 or even perhaps an upgrade to a GT4 would be the better move
it's mainly the size of the 991.2 that I wonder about, I've tried bigger cars and not liked them
otherwise I think it trumps a 718 with a torquier more visceral emotional engine and a look that brings me more emotion
But I also do wonder if it's that different from a 718 4.0 to give me that thrill, it's really just another 1200 rpm of a good thing in a bigger package!
but there is really is no other move (in my budget) that I can think of making
older manual ferrari's, or perhaps a gallardo, come to mind but given their maintenance costs they are not in the budget

anyways, long winded, but I am looking for the perspectives on here, since it's pretty clear most of us on here seem to value similar things in cars
obviously a test drive will help (if I can even manage to get one), but it won't offer how it feels longer term
The following 2 users liked this post by baege:
howardchen416 (12-03-2023), rwm (12-14-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:29 AM
GTSpyder
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 50 Posts

First and foremost... you only live once and yes, life is short...

I also prefer smaller sports cars... I've had a 981 GTS, an Evora GT, and now a 718 Spyder... (all manual)

The 991.2 911's aren't that much bigger than the 981 or 982 mid engine cars so I wouldn't worry too much about size.

You could get a 991.2 GT3 6MT or a 981 or 982 GT4 and probably be very happy either way.

Shorter gears in the GTS / GT4 would definitely close the gap...

Best of luck in whichever direction you decide to go!
The following 2 users liked this post by GTSpyder:
baege (12-02-2023), silverscooby27 (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:38 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 448 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
Not getting any younger and seeing people get ill and pass away around me, I find myself thinking life is too short to not enjoy it as much as we can
and my thing seems to be cars so I am thinking I should make a move to a car that will bring me the most joy
and the cars that bring me the most joy are naturally aspirated torquey manual compact cars that handle well and I don't track my cars so I am talking pure street driving
like many on here I've made moves up the car food chain over the years, all starting with a move from my automatic 1980 toyota tercel to a manual 1985 Omni GLH
first time I drove the GLH coming from that automatic tercel, it blew me away with the power and torque of that 2.2 HO compared with the 1.5 in the tercel. I was hooked.
and ever since then I've sought out the thrill of that car that brings you to that next level
One of the most dramatic of those moves for me was going from a 2007 BMW Z4 3.0 SI coupe to a 2014 Cayman S
First time I drove a 981S (pdk at that!) I fell in love with it and I ordered one (stripper manual) and couldn't get enough of driving it
For about 10 years now I have not been able to find a car (in my budget) that I have felt that feeling that I had when I drove that 981S where I felt I need to have this
Lately I have been thinking that maybe the 991.2 GT3 manual would be that car
I do wonder though if some light mods on the 718 or even perhaps an upgrade to a GT4 would be the better move
it's mainly the size of the 991.2 that I wonder about, I've tried bigger cars and not liked them
otherwise I think it trumps a 718 with a torquier more visceral emotional engine and a look that brings me more emotion
But I also do wonder if it's that different from a 718 4.0 to give me that thrill, it's really just another 1200 rpm of a good thing in a bigger package!
but there is really is no other move (in my budget) that I can think of making
older manual ferrari's, or perhaps a gallardo, come to mind but given their maintenance costs they are not in the budget

anyways, long winded, but I am looking for the perspectives on here, since it's pretty clear most of us on here seem to value similar things in cars
obviously a test drive will help (if I can even manage to get one), but it won't offer how it feels longer term
I owned a 991.2 GT3 Touring and I currently own a 718 GTS 4.0 (Boxster); I owned a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 IN 2021-2022.

First thing I’ll say is you won’t notice the size of the 911.2 GT3. It handles just about as well as any road car can handle — you won’t believe how that thing goes around turns. It is *way* more capable than the 718 GTS. It’s not even a fair comparison. In terms of length, we are talking only 4-5” difference. Remember: the 911 has a wheelbase that is one inch shorter.

What I learned about the GTS 4.0 is the engine is extremely violent. It is kind of like a “poor man’s” GT3 engine. I said to my friends that the engine offers about 90% of the glorious violence of the GT3 engine. This is a good thing when the car is around half the price.

The GT3 does not like to be on the highway. It meanders a bit due to suspension setup. It’s also a bit noisey for the highway. Would you be using it exclusively on back roads? For example here in South Florida the GT3 was useless to me. I sold it in 2020. In 2022, I closed on a home near the mountains of Western NC, where I wish I could try out that GT3.

The 718 GTS is not a GT3; and unless you want just about the most competitive handling car in high “drive it to the limit” scenarios, I think it’s not quite worth it. The gearbox in the GT3 is downright annoying. Yes, it’s “perfection.” But it’s annoying precisely because of that: every shift has to be executed with 100% perfection or the transmission will punish you. Clutch and shift timing must be perfect; throttle input at shift must be perfect. Therefore the car becomes a car you need to “be in the mood” to drive. It’s a Motorsport gearbox that was taken out of mothballs for street use. It’s a rewarding one but a tough one.

I think you should sign up for one of those Porsche track days (or several) and beat the snot out of a GT3 available for driving (I would hope they have a 991.2 Touring but I do not know). If not, there are plenty of Tourings or non-Touring winged manual 991.2 cars to test drive.

Life is short, and I get what you mean and what you’re looking to do. I do not think the GT3 is the ultimate manual transmission car: for that, you’ll need a Ferrari 360 Modena, F355, or dare I say F430 manual (I owned all three).

I imagine the 718 GTS 4.0 would be significantly transformed if you did the following:
- regear the manual transmission gears 2-5 — I just had my 981 Spyder done by Sharkwerks (reinstallation of the transformed transmission happens 2 weeks from now for me)
- software tune brings horsepower to 440bhp
- possible suspension upgrades: the 718 GTS leaves a bit (for my taste) to be desired in the handling department (for example, my 982 Spyder is way, way more athletic and capable with a much higher limit)

I think these modifications would put you where you want to be with your 718 GTS.

This is an interesting thread. I too have the Pirellis from the factory which I believe suck; my Cayman 4.0 had the Pilot Sport 4S.
<https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary/1304984-gts-suspension-upgrades-thread.html>

Software tunes:
<https://www.softronicsoftware.com/718-gt4-spyder-and-gts-performance-software-2020/>
<https://www.eurocharged.com/product/porsche-cayman-gts-4-0-ecu-tune/>
<https://www.google.com/search?q=gts+4.0+software+tune+440+hp&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en>

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-02-2023 at 11:51 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 348SStb:
baege (12-02-2023), CUGTS (12-03-2023), howardchen416 (12-03-2023), Larry Cable (12-03-2023), lee_337 (12-07-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 01:08 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 435 Posts

The older I get the more I realize I love driving more than I love cars. Could be happy driving almost any sports car through the dozens of mountain roads around me, and easily the two you're considering. I do find myself watching the miles on my Spyder though and if you also love to drive, you may ask yourself which one you'd spend more time in.
The following 6 users liked this post by clutchplate:
Alpha Ice (12-07-2023), baege (12-02-2023), frankpac (12-02-2023), howardchen416 (12-03-2023), LZRD GRN (12-04-2023), SpeedySpidey (12-02-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-02-2023, 02:29 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I owned a 991.2 GT3 Touring and I currently own a 718 GTS 4.0 (Boxster); I owned a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 IN 2021-2022.

First thing I’ll say is you won’t notice the size of the 911.2 GT3. It handles just about as well as any road car can handle — you won’t believe how that thing goes around turns. It is *way* more capable than the 718 GTS. It’s not even a fair comparison. In terms of length, we are talking only 4-5” difference. Remember: the 911 has a wheelbase that is one inch shorter.

What I learned about the GTS 4.0 is the engine is extremely violent. It is kind of like a “poor man’s” GT3 engine. I said to my friends that the engine offers about 90% of the glorious violence of the GT3 engine. This is a good thing when the car is around half the price.

The GT3 does not like to be on the highway. It meanders a bit due to suspension setup. It’s also a bit noisey for the highway. Would you be using it exclusively on back roads? For example here in South Florida the GT3 was useless to me. I sold it in 2020. In 2022, I closed on a home near the mountains of Western NC, where I wish I could try out that GT3.

The 718 GTS is not a GT3; and unless you want just about the most competitive handling car in high “drive it to the limit” scenarios, I think it’s not quite worth it. The gearbox in the GT3 is downright annoying. Yes, it’s “perfection.” But it’s annoying precisely because of that: every shift has to be executed with 100% perfection or the transmission will punish you. Clutch and shift timing must be perfect; throttle input at shift must be perfect. Therefore the car becomes a car you need to “be in the mood” to drive. It’s a Motorsport gearbox that was taken out of mothballs for street use. It’s a rewarding one but a tough one.

I think you should sign up for one of those Porsche track days (or several) and beat the snot out of a GT3 available for driving (I would hope they have a 991.2 Touring but I do not know). If not, there are plenty of Tourings or non-Touring winged manual 991.2 cars to test drive.

Life is short, and I get what you mean and what you’re looking to do. I do not think the GT3 is the ultimate manual transmission car: for that, you’ll need a Ferrari 360 Modena, F355, or dare I say F430 manual (I owned all three).

I imagine the 718 GTS 4.0 would be significantly transformed if you did the following:
- regear the manual transmission gears 2-5 — I just had my 981 Spyder done by Sharkwerks (reinstallation of the transformed transmission happens 2 weeks from now for me)
- software tune brings horsepower to 440bhp
- possible suspension upgrades: the 718 GTS leaves a bit (for my taste) to be desired in the handling department (for example, my 982 Spyder is way, way more athletic and capable with a much higher limit)

I think these modifications would put you where you want to be with your 718 GTS.

This is an interesting thread. I too have the Pirellis from the factory which I believe suck; my Cayman 4.0 had the Pilot Sport 4S.
<https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...es-thread.html>

Software tunes:
<https://www.softronicsoftware.com/718-gt4-spyder-and-gts-performance-software-2020/>
<https://www.eurocharged.com/product/porsche-cayman-gts-4-0-ecu-tune/>
<https://www.google.com/search?q=gts+4.0+software+tune+440+hp&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en>
thank you for the very helpful response with lots of good info

I wish I would be using it exclusively on back roads, I currently live in the middle of a large city with bad roads and traffic, but an escape to the suburbs may be coming next year in which case I would have much better access to back roads.

never heard that perspective on the transmission

thanks again, you definitely provided some food for thought
Old 12-03-2023, 12:46 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,150 Likes on 4,921 Posts

Get the GT3 and don't look back.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Larry Cable (12-03-2023), rp2000r (12-04-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 07:09 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 518 Posts

Unless you are seriously into tracking, I think you would be hard pressed to find any car that will offer a better road driving enthusiast experience than the 718 4.0 cars. It is simply human nature to always keep seeking out something "better". However, the more and more you get into a car that is track capable, the more you are going to lose street drivability. It is a plain fact that many GT3s and especially GT3 RS cars are fantasy trophy garage queens, along with Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.

So what is your real passion? Is it tracking, and do you have the wealth to trash a GT3 and not care? Is it owning, and do you have a $1M garage to store your fantasy collection? Is it back road driving, and do you want a car that can really deliver in this type of environment?

I am always looking at cars, irrespective of what I own. I really love to drive, not just possess. My fun driving is country and twisty mountain roads in nice weather. I haven't come across anything that will suit my needs and desires better than my Spyder which I have owned since June 2020, now with a little over 12,000 miles.

Stop looking for the bigger, better thing. Maybe you already have the best car for what you want to do?
The following 6 users liked this post by VVG:
baege (12-03-2023), Ffre92 (12-04-2023), howardchen416 (12-03-2023), Mark Dreyer (12-03-2023), rezidue (12-03-2023), rwm (12-14-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-03-2023, 08:24 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 116 Posts

+1 for enjoy the moment!
+1 for finding the best roads in any sports car!

Note that you can drive a 992 PDK GT3 at PEC. I did so at Atlanta. It’s supposed to be “too big” and “more of a grand tourer”, but I didn’t find it big at all. It was so taught and direct, I don’t see how people can say that . I think driving both back to back at PEC might be a worthwhile investment (maybe give yourself 2 hours between sessions, I got a bit car sick at the end of the second session).

That said, I have a BGTS4.0, and it’s amazing. After driving both, as amazing as the GT3 was, I don’t think I would switch. The essence of the experience (great sounds, great manual, taught handling, LWBS) was there in both, and the 718 is a lot cheaper.

Last edited by ttcbj; 12-03-2023 at 08:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
baege (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 08:33 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 351 Posts

As a past owner of a 981 Cayman S my vote is stay with that car. It does just about everything so well in a street car package.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Dreyer:
Denny Swift (12-03-2023), maschinetheist (12-08-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 08:53 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 448 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
+1 for enjoy the moment!

Note that you can drive a 992 PDK GT3 at PEC. I did so at Atlanta. It’s supposed to be “too big” and “more of a grand tourer”, but I didn’t find it big at all. It was so taught and direct, I don’t see how people can say that . I think driving both back to back at PEC might be a worthwhile investment (maybe give yourself 2 hours between sessions, I got a bit car sick at the end of the second session).

That said, I have a BGTS4.0, and it’s amazing. After driving both, as amazing as the GT3 was, I don’t think I would switch. The essence of the experience (great sounds, great manual, taught handling, LWBS) was there in both, and the 718 is a lot cheaper.
I absolutely loathed the steering feel in 992 GT3. It was terrible! No road feedback whatsoever; no resistance in the steering: it was lighter than the steering in a Hyundai Elantra, Nissan Sentra, and the like. I could turn the wheel with pinky finger. It was as though I was pointing the car in a given direction with a wireless remote control, not with a device connected to the front drive wheels. Did you notice the same?

I cannot believe this very important characteristic is never emphasized in any of the dozens if not hundreds of reviews that simply gush over the 992 GT3. It shows what press reviews are worth. I imagine the Nurburgring Nerds over at Porsche have their technical reason for implementing this steering feel design, but it’s utterly ridiculous from a practical perspective and from the perspective of experienced drivers who love driver involvement.

I decided during the test drive that I’d never own one — the steering is inferior to that of every Porsche I own and have ever driven. One of the biggest disappointments ever. Now: 991.2 GT3 — that’s a car that has terrific steering. As does Boxster/Cayman GTS 4.0.

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-03-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:49 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,888 Likes on 1,682 Posts

I have a 2022 CGTS4.0 and a 2023 911T. After one season and 3k miles in the T, I understand that the NA, mid engine platform and smaller car is better for me.

Here's why:
(I realize you asked about a 991.2, but thought this would help you to read.)

.. Smaller car fits me better.
.. mid engine dynamic is more enjoyable to me. Although that rear engine traction exiting turns is incredible.
.. NA engine feels AND SOUNDS way better.
.. 6 speed manual is WAY better than 7 speed manual in T, but I think the GT3 is a different tranny.

The only thing really wrong with the 718 is that the 911 exists, MAN is the 911 sexy looking! And has heritage.

But at the end of the day, I bought a 10 warranty on the Cayman and started exploring selling the T. YMMV.

Oh, and for a street car, the Cayman GTS is quieter and more comfortable. As others have said, it's a different story of you have different goals in mind, like tracking.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 12-03-2023 at 10:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
baege (12-03-2023), Denny Swift (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 10:38 AM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by VVG
Unless you are seriously into tracking, I think you would be hard pressed to find any car that will offer a better road driving enthusiast experience than the 718 4.0 cars. It is simply human nature to always keep seeking out something "better". However, the more and more you get into a car that is track capable, the more you are going to lose street drivability. It is a plain fact that many GT3s and especially GT3 RS cars are fantasy trophy garage queens, along with Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.

So what is your real passion? Is it tracking, and do you have the wealth to trash a GT3 and not care? Is it owning, and do you have a $1M garage to store your fantasy collection? Is it back road driving, and do you want a car that can really deliver in this type of environment?

I am always looking at cars, irrespective of what I own. I really love to drive, not just possess. My fun driving is country and twisty mountain roads in nice weather. I haven't come across anything that will suit my needs and desires better than my Spyder which I have owned since June 2020, now with a little over 12,000 miles.

Stop looking for the bigger, better thing. Maybe you already have the best car for what you want to do?
I wish it was the $1M garage option!, but in reality it's just that fun pleasure drive only car that I take out when I just want to enjoy the joy of driving

I was pretty happy with my 2007 Z4 coupe 3.0 si in that regard until I drove the 981S and was like holy cow this is another level and once I got one there is no question I enjoyed that car on the road for pure pleasure drives much more so than the Z4
I guess I am wondering if a move from the GTS 4.0 to a GT3 will bring the same next level of enjoyment
I like small cars though and the size of the 991 is something I definitely felt when ever I have driven one.
also people's comments on the hardcore nature of the GT3 make me wonder if with the larger size and the toughness of driving it will actually be more "fun" for me

no question the engine is next level, I can tell that just from youtube videos

Old 12-03-2023, 10:42 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,888 Likes on 1,682 Posts

I guess there's only one real way to find out here! Buy both, sell the one you use least.
The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 10:43 AM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by ttcbj
+1 for enjoy the moment!

this is spot on for me, I wonder if the Gt3 is really just a bit more of a really good thing

honestly comparing the GTS 4.0 to my prior 981S, I can't say the GTS 4.0 (now that I am used to it) is that much different of an overall experience

both amazingly fun cars that offer a similar experience in sound, handling, transmission, power

truth is I think the overall porsche experience has normalized for me, but there really is no substitute now as no one else makes NEW naturally aspirated manual cars that are as connected a driving experience (I tried a 2015 C7 after the 2014 Cayman S and that didn't go so well)

Last edited by baege; 12-03-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:54 AM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I guess there's only one real way to find out here! Buy both, sell the one you use least.
I wish I had the luxury of that option!, but sales tax where I live (and of course my financial position) make that not possible

Quick Reply: How much does size matter? 991.2 GT3 or stick with 718?