Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Rear-ended 2022 BGTS 4.0 TOTALED

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 05:20 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 1,729 Posts

Yup, just like helmets are designed to crack and absorb an impact. That's why in a crash of any kind while wearing a helmet, you should get a new helmet, even if it appears undamaged. Or next time... No bueno!
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 05:36 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

You must remember that the insurance company will get quite a premium for that car when it goes to insurance auction. I bet it goes for 60% or more than the undamaged car would be worth. That’s really why it’s an easy decision to total, they spend much less money.

It will go overseas for assembly with hot glue gun and rivets.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:38 AM
boss2k
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
OP that's insane! I had a front bumper, headlight, AC cooler and fender sum up to less than 15k EUR with labor - how on earth this amount of damage is 70k??
Correct from the pic no way it looks like a 70K damage
Old 12-05-2023, 02:04 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the auto repair industry has not kept up with the auto manufacturing industry. Aluminum is no longer an exotic material rarely used on autos but much more mainstream. In addition, aluminum itself is not that much more difficult to repair than other metals, it is just different and the skill/knowledge is currently not commonplace. With this in mind many auto manufactures mandate that when an aluminum structural component is damaged it must be replaced. This creates a cascade of issues for several reasons. A big one is the bonding techniques used in the manufacturing of aluminum structural components do not allow for disassembly from undamaged structural components necessitating replacement of both damaged and undamaged structural components. There certainly is a litigation component since aluminum repair has not become commonplace and aluminum does not have an endurance limit( no minimal load that aluminum can be infinitely cycled without failure). This is why airplanes keep such thorough logs and aircraft have to be retired after so many takeoff and landing cycles regardless of how well maintained or how well it is operating. This is clearly an oversimplification but it shows some of the hurdles that must be overcome and will be overcome in the not to distant future. Until this is overcome we will all pay for this in the way of insurance premiums as insurance companies are not in the business of losing money and pass the buck on to us the somewhat captive audience. IMHO
The following 2 users liked this post by Agcsr25:
SpyderSenseOC (12-05-2023), worf928 (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 11:10 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 621 Posts

I understand why there are questions about how they arrived at the car being totaled, but if it were my car, I would absolutely prefer it be totaled, rather than repaired and returned to me.

OP - best of luck for a fair settlement. Don’t be too quick to sign off on injuries just to be certain that you understand the extent. Wishing you and your wife the best!
SmallCapTrader (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 12:15 PM
SmallCapTrader
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I understand why there are questions about how they arrived at the car being totaled, but if it were my car, I would absolutely prefer it be totaled, rather than repaired and returned to me.

OP - best of luck for a fair settlement. Don’t be too quick to sign off on injuries just to be certain that you understand the extent. Wishing you and your wife the best!
~$115k I'd say that's a somewhat fair deal. My build was $101k. Progressive for the win. Thanks Flo. 😁
The following 2 users liked this post by SmallCapTrader:
Agcsr25 (12-06-2023), BoxKing (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 02:22 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by SmallCapTrader
~$115k I'd say that's a somewhat fair deal. My build was $101k. Progressive for the win. Thanks Flo. 😁
As long as you’re satisfied - that’s a positive outcome. Glad they made you “whole”. And I agree - it sounds fair. And far better than receiving back a damaged car and having to go through repairs and pursue diminished value!

Onward…
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
BoxKing (12-06-2023), SmallCapTrader (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 03:41 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 317 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
The silver lining, of course, is that you are here to write about it. I am wondering what people's driving technique is for following or coming to a stop. I am always very weary of cars behind me.

Usually when driving, if I see brake lights go on in front of me, I hit my brakes unless I am really far back. As soon as I hit my brakes, I check my rear view mirror. It has pretty much become a reflex.

At a stop, I brake well ahead of my intended stopping point, check my rear view mirror, then inch forward to said stopping point. I tend to leave a good amount of space between myself and the car in front of me in case I need to pull forward or swerve out of the lane.

Only once have I actually swerved out of my lane when stopped due to what I felt was a car approaching too fast from the rear. In retrospect, that car did slow down in time, but I am glad I had the space to do what I did.

None of this may have helped in the OP's situation, but I am curious about whether people have any deliberate accident minimizing ideas
I do all of this as well....I am looking in my rear view almost as much as ahead / to the sides.

I even look at the car approaching me from behind in my driver's side mirror with the "stay the f back" look.
SmallCapTrader (12-07-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:48 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SmallCapTrader
Wow, wait, Progressive is settling the loss for $14,000 over sticker for a 22 BGTS? Nice deal--in August I bought a CPO 22 BGTS with 2518 miles for $1582 below original sticker (sticker price was $112,580)
SmallCapTrader (12-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear-ended 2022 BGTS 4.0 TOTALED