Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDLS -> PDLS+ help (donor car)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 10:05 AM
nixsky
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PDLS -> PDLS+ help (donor car)

Hi everyone,

I appreciate most people are talked out on this subject but my case is a little bit different, and I'd appreciate some help.

I've been able to find a donor car with PDLS+ (2022 GT4) and I'm wondering what parts I need to take off of it to successfully convert my 2022 GT4 with PDLS to PDLS+?

Still trying to establish if it has the light sensor that goes behind the rear view mirror, but the spec sheet lists PDLS+ so I think it does...

Thanks,

Nick

Old 10-24-2023, 10:43 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,722 Likes on 2,112 Posts

There is a great write-up over in the 718 Forum.

While it is a Base to PDLS+ conversion you should be able to investigate your PDLS car to see what is needed (if anything) for the conversion.

It's quite detailed, including specific pin connectors and diagrams.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:45 AM
nixsky
Advanced

Yeah, I've seen the post you're referring to, however it feels a bit "hacky". I was hoping that with a donor car, someone could simply say "you're likely to need X, Y and Z"

Old 10-24-2023, 01:28 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Originally Posted by nixsky
Yeah, I've seen the post you're referring to, however it feels a bit "hacky". I was hoping that with a donor car, someone could simply say "you're likely to need X, Y and Z"
That's kind of an insult for a guy who ripped his car apart, shared all the parts, and actually figured it out LOL. You have all the parts, but can't discern which ones you need from his post? Why don't you take both cars apart, compare the parts, make a post, and we'll comment on it?

OR try calling the Porsche parts department. That's where I'd start.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 05:24 PM
nixsky
Advanced

Originally Posted by UncleDude
That's kind of an insult for a guy who ripped his car apart, shared all the parts, and actually figured it out LOL. You have all the parts, but can't discern which ones you need from his post? Why don't you take both cars apart, compare the parts, make a post, and we'll comment on it?

OR try calling the Porsche parts department. That's where I'd start.
Let's not get carried away, there's absolutely no intent to insult anyone - I'm just looking for some advice that's more specific to my use case. From memory, the guy didn't achieve full functionality but I'll check out the thread and see if they updated it etc.

I don't own the donor car, I'm buying the parts from the seller and need to let them know which bits I need etc.
UncleDude (10-24-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 03:34 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by nixsky
Let's not get carried away, there's absolutely no intent to insult anyone - I'm just looking for some advice that's more specific to my use case. From memory, the guy didn't achieve full functionality but I'll check out the thread and see if they updated it etc.

I don't own the donor car, I'm buying the parts from the seller and need to let them know which bits I need etc.
Yeah your case is completely different because even as much as that guy did, which was an insane amount of work, you still don't actually get full functionality of PDLS much less PDLS +. It seems like a ton of work just to add in the camera function which does nothing beyond auto dim your brights and read speed limit signs. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze and it's going to be difficult to know what was changed without tearing apart both cars and having wiring diagrams along with part #'s.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:37 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 752 Posts

Not to mention the overall warranty issues. Dealers cast a broad net when denying coverage and PCNA is happy to concur.
My car came with the base HL bc my SA was too slow to change it when VW runned out of parts. The only thing I'm going about the trabant quality illumination is changing the xenon bulbs to LED. The curving thing works poorly anyways. If there was a plug and play solution to get at least LED brightness with the PDLS looks, I'd be one to buy it.

Last edited by John Mclane; 10-25-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:42 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Not to mention the overall warranty issues. Dealers cast a broad net when denying coverage and PCNA is happy to concur.
My car came with the base HL bc my SA was too slow to change it when VW rubbed out of parts. The only thing I'm going about the trabant quality illumination is changing the xenon bulbs to LED. The curving thing works poorly anyways. If there was a plug and play solution to get at least LED brightness with the PDLS looks, I'd be one to buy it.
I have the PDLS LED Headlights in my GT4 without the "+" functionality. I don't see any benefit to chasing down the +, if anything I hate auto dimming brights because I have it in other cars I own, it will dim the brights due to some reflection off a sign or something when there is zero reason to dim them and just is an added annoyance IMO.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:39 PM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 99 Posts

Cheaper to sell your car and find another one to buy with the same spec with PDLS+
Old 10-25-2023, 07:01 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GTJake
I have the PDLS LED Headlights in my GT4 without the "+" functionality. I don't see any benefit to chasing down the +, if anything I hate auto dimming brights because I have it in other cars I own, it will dim the brights due to some reflection off a sign or something when there is zero reason to dim them and just is an added annoyance IMO.
^^^^ This. I have the PDLS+ in my Spyder and find almost no value in the auto dimming brights. If I could have ordered my Spyder with non-plus PDLS, I would have in a heartbeat.

I also find the PDLS+ sensor/camera in the windshield below the rear view mirror somewhat unattractive.
Larry Cable (10-25-2023)

Quick Reply: PDLS -> PDLS+ help (donor car)