Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Recently installed the APR ECU Tune on my 4.0L GTS…HOLY BLEEP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 09:40 AM
GoBigSpyder
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,
Also recently a 3rd party company ran a GTS on a hub dyno with the Softronic and two other companies files and there was no discernable gains above with them, they also ran catless headers and OAPS before and after .... Otherwise you would notice a difference if the TCU is flashed reguardless do to the shifting changes yet Softronic does not offer that for reasons we have stated and could have back in 2009 if we wanted to.

You can compare even the 2016 GT4 and others we have tuned to other companies if they have done them...... The 3.8 ran the same TQ yet the HP was higher in the 4.0ltr. from its displacement from the factory . There are also dyno posts on these cars done years ago showing the gains with the 3.8 and the 4.0ltr. long before these posts.... This also applies to the different Clubsport versions we flash.

Best,
Scott
hello Scott…any chance you can point to a link regarding the 3rd party findings? Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
jashearer (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 03:05 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Yes, it is imperative that you return your ECU back to stock before installing a different tune. When you install the APR tune, the UltraLink will save the stock tune on the APR Ultralink server so you can return it back to stock whenever you choose. You will absolutely feel a difference between Softronic & APR. It is very noticeable.

When I removed the Softronic, I hardly felt any difference between stock and the Softronic tune. I actually thought stock had slightly more low-end power than the Softronic.
I definitely noticed a difference from stock with the Softronic tune, but IMO the Softronic tune made the PDK feel more "smooth", for lack of a better descriptor, rather than feel like more power from the engine. Might just be the difference between 414 hp and 440-ish hp not being that discernable on the street.

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello,
Just so you are aware you have to flash it back to stock with the MyGenius as APR cant read the file that is in the car it can only ID it..... and if you flash it back with their unit it would be the Porsche stock file they ID and not the tuned file that was in the car. Also recently a 3rd party company ran a GTS on a hub dyno with the Softronic and two other companies files and there was no discernable gains above with them, they also ran catless headers and OAPS before and after .... Otherwise you would notice a difference if the TCU is flashed reguardless do to the shifting changes yet Softronic does not offer that for reasons we have stated and could have back in 2009 if we wanted to.

You can compare even the 2016 GT4 and others we have tuned to other companies if they have done them...... The 3.8 ran the same TQ yet the HP was higher in the 4.0ltr. from its displacement from the factory . There are also dyno posts on these cars done years ago showing the gains with the 3.8 and the 4.0ltr. long before these posts.... This also applies to the different Clubsport versions we flash.

Best,
Scott
Good info, Scott -- thanks!
Old 09-07-2024, 01:57 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Any more updates from folks who went with APR?
Old 09-07-2024, 01:58 PM
Purekoryo
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Alright I drove it today finally. The car is a 23 Spyder with manual trans, BMC filters, Fabspeed OAPs and JCR Ti Valved Exhaust.

What has changed on a go to the office style drive:

The sound is killer. The burbles are perfect, there is no rev hang between shifts and the funky computer controlled sound management is gone. Open or closed now with the button. Makes a big difference.

It does seem more peppy but 90% of my commute is 35 mph residential so no chance to really hammer it, plus it's at 800 miles so I guess I don't really hammer it anyways.

Once I get a chance to do some hill country driving I can update with more info. Also excited to get rid of the 93 and get some E85 in there.
Please do let us know when you get more road time going WOT. Also very excited to hear about your e85 tune once you get there!
Old 09-07-2024, 02:06 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
Any more updates from folks who went with APR?
Yes, I seem to have developed new wrinkles from smiling every time I drive the car. Still incredibly entertaining even after having the tunes installed for a year already. Purchased an UltraLink just to have it for future removal/reinstallation/updates. Great work by APR.
Purekoryo (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 03:28 PM
Higgs Boson
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Purekoryo
Please do let us know when you get more road time going WOT. Also very excited to hear about your e85 tune once you get there!
Still no chance to get it out for real driving. Have only driven it to work 2-3 times since I flashed it, I am pleased with the difference but I am hoping the E85 calibration has a lot more spark lead vs 93, should be even more noticeable. Only about 100 miles to empty....
Purekoryo (09-07-2024)
Old 09-26-2024, 05:09 PM
GoBigSpyder
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedee
I Purchased a Racebox and am currently doing some science and will install the APR tune for more science. I Should have numbers for the people who are wondering very soon.
Any update...

Last edited by GoBigSpyder; 09-26-2024 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Recently installed the APR ECU Tune on my 4.0L GTS…HOLY BLEEP!!