Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Help me pick a wheel color - cannot decide

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 04:02 PM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

To me, in person, aventurine has a gray look with undertones of green. If you’re just asking the two questions above, I’d go with the black wheels. Gloss if you’re doing the sport design package high gloss black.

If it were me, the combo I like with aventurine is Aurum wheels, and espresso-Cognac interior. I think the aurum brings out the green undertones.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 04:40 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by mparekh
Hello all,

I have a build allocation and have spent countless hours on the Porsche configurator (as have everyone else). I need some inputs on the wheels, specifically wheel colors, as it's hard to figure out what works best

Essentially an Aventurine Metallic Green Boxster with Carrera Sport wheels. Interior, I am going with Bordeaux Red + Black

I am leaning towards the Satin Black painted wheels, but not 100% convinced. Would unpainted (Platinum silver) match better as Visualizer doesn't show it accurately. Or is a Metallic or High Gloss Black better? I ask both from looks, maintenance and cleaning perspective.

(Picture here is with Satin Black color)

Picture with standard wheels (not rendering correctly)

My build code is PRLKJNT7
Since you are soliciting opinions....I do not feel that the Bordeaux red will go well with that shade of green. Go with beige interior and bronze wheels or black interior and platinum wheels, or grey interior and silver wheels. In an open top car, the interior and exterior colors should be aesthetically compatible. Have the brake calipers painted black also. A number of people have mentioned black wheels. I am not a fan since you can't really see the wheel design unless you are really close to the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Larry Cable (06-11-2023), mparekh (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 04:46 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 213 Posts

Of the two you posted, I think the top (Satin Black) looks much nicer. I have the 911 Turbo wheels on mine, but I sorta wish I'd gotten those Satin Black wheels.
The following users liked this post:
mparekh (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 06:06 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by TikiLou
Of the two you posted, I think the top (Satin Black) looks much nicer. I have the 911 Turbo wheels on mine, but I sorta wish I'd gotten those Satin Black wheels.
911 Turbo design wheels are forged and lighter
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
Larry Cable (06-14-2023), TikiLou (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 09:08 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Silver or black wheels. Do not match body color, it will not age well.

Flat / Satin Black is sportier, easier to keep clean or ignore brake dust, and a minor scratch fixed with black Sharpie

Agate grey the bright silver wheels looks nicer when clean, bit harder-to keep clean and cannot do sharpie scratch repair trick.

I suggest the standard GTS wheels with thinner spokes. There was some thought by the Porsche design team to have flat black wheels to match the flat black exterior details of the GTS 4.0 to simplify and eliminate a third color. That was not a random decision.

My opinion only, but you asked. Good luck.

Last edited by doug751; 06-12-2023 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:59 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
911 Turbo design wheels are forged and lighter
Yeah, I like them a lot...it's just the other ones look a bit sportier is all.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:46 AM
gallucho
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

I initially chose your interior, but the dealer convinced me to do the two tone beige (may not still be available.) But for the wheels, these back wheels are wider and the depth shows in the shape of the spokes. They look awesome. The front not so much- more 2D. But I hope this picture helps, these are the wheels to get- for this non sporty color. I would trade this car for orange with blue interior, but so what. People love this at the Porsche club events. So not red/silver/white/black. Also, don't forget the supplemental head restraint paint.
The following 2 users liked this post by gallucho:
0-Day (06-12-2023), Larry Cable (10-29-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 02:14 PM
muiz
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mparekh
Hello all,

I have a build allocation and have spent countless hours on the Porsche configurator (as have everyone else). I need some inputs on the wheels, specifically wheel colors, as it's hard to figure out what works best

Essentially an Aventurine Metallic Green Boxster with Carrera Sport wheels. Interior, I am going with Bordeaux Red + Black

I am leaning towards the Satin Black painted wheels, but not 100% convinced. Would unpainted (Platinum silver) match better as Visualizer doesn't show it accurately. Or is a Metallic or High Gloss Black better? I ask both from looks, maintenance and cleaning perspective.

(Picture here is with Satin Black color)

Picture with standard wheels (not rendering correctly)

My build code is PRLKJNT7
mid personally go silver wheels… went silver wheels on my GB GT4! It really pops when it’s clean.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:44 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

Those configurator shots aren't going to tell you much. I'd look at lots of real life photos. As for interior I'd just go black on an Aventurine car, and that's it. Silver or black wheels probably both work. I'd steer clear of gloss black or gold. I don't care for red interiors on anything unless it's more of a burgundy (like a 2003 S8 or like a 2009 Maserati GranTurismo), but even if Porsche offered that I wouldn't get it on an Aventurine car. We can't tell you what you like only what we like, though. If Porsche still offers a brown leather that might also work with Aventurine, but I think maybe it was discontinued?
Old 06-12-2023, 04:10 PM
gallucho
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Those configurator shots aren't going to tell you much. I'd look at lots of real life photos. As for interior I'd just go black on an Aventurine car, and that's it. Silver or black wheels probably both work. I'd steer clear of gloss black or gold. I don't care for red interiors on anything unless it's more of a burgundy (like a 2003 S8 or like a 2009 Maserati GranTurismo), but even if Porsche offered that I wouldn't get it on an Aventurine car. We can't tell you what you like only what we like, though. If Porsche still offers a brown leather that might also work with Aventurine, but I think maybe it was discontinued?

The red and green can go together take a look:

For me, the green falls flat with black standard wheels. OP is on the right track.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:18 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by gallucho

For me, the green falls flat with black standard wheels. OP is on the right track.
I still don't care for that at all, but I also don't think OP should be choosing their car build based on forum consensus either. I say get a car with Natural Leather Interior in Espresso and 20" 718 Sport Wheels in Silver. Or if you want a bit more of a sportier modern look go full black leather and the 20" Carrera Sport Wheels in Satin Black. I'd also do the black brake caliper option as well probably in either case, minding we make sure the black brake caliper does not clash with the black wheels in the latter option.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:36 PM
mparekh
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

There's the espresso brown, but I don't like it. Would've gone for the beige leather if it was an option. I personally don't like gloss black or gold either
Old 06-12-2023, 06:38 PM
mparekh
AutoX

‘22 Porsche Boxster GTS 4.0 - Walkaround and drive - YouTube

Agreed. The standard black wheels don't work on it. Yes, this car is an example of what I am looking for. The colors are saturated and a bit off in this video, but still very helpful in giving an idea!
Old 06-12-2023, 06:39 PM
mparekh
AutoX

I initially chose your interior, but the dealer convinced me to do the two tone beige (may not still be available.) But for the wheels, these back wheels are wider and the depth shows in the shape of the spokes. They look awesome. The front not so much- more 2D. But I hope this picture helps, these are the wheels to get- for this non sporty color. I would trade this car for orange with blue interior, but so what. People love this at the Porsche club events. So not red/silver/white/black. Also, don't forget the supplemental head restraint paint.
How I wish the beige was still available. Would've made my decision easier.

For the head restraint paint, is it noticeable and worth it for aventurine green? I can't make out from your pictures. Those wheels look great!
Old 06-12-2023, 06:41 PM
mparekh
AutoX

Additionally, do the red calipers work in this, or would you've gone with black? And I see you chose the brown rooftop. Do you have a picture with it closed?

Quick Reply: Help me pick a wheel color - cannot decide