Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: What SRS Allocation Production Build Month did you receive?
January 2024 (24MY)
6.43%
February 2024 (24MY)
10.00%
March 2024 (24MY)
9.29%
April 2024 (24MY)
11.43%
May 2024 (24MY)
11.43%
June 2024 (24MY)
14.29%
July 2024 (24MY)
10.71%
August 2024 (24MY)
8.57%
September 2024 (25MY)
5.00%
October 2024 (25MY)
4.29%
November 2024 (25MY)
2.86%
December 2024 (25MY)
5.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Spyder RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 12:05 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 590 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCarrot
I think the poll is just about right. My MY24 will be built in Aug w/ ED in early Sept.

Wonder what will the price increase be from MY24 to MY25. $5k on the conservative side?
Isn't the factory basically at a stand still for Aug?
Old 01-29-2024, 04:17 AM
IanY
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ColsterLXXV
Has anyone in Australia been offered a PTS allocation? I had my local dealer just call me to say they have an allocation for an April build, however it will won't be a PTS. I queried if I can submit a PTS build and see if it is approved by head office, but the GM said no. Question is, would they know beforehand if the allocation is for a PTS slot, or do they just want a simple build? They mentioned about final Australian builds being in completed in August and PTS not likely to be available before model termination (in Australia). Does this seem like a creditable answer? None of the colours in the standard pallete 100% appeals to me, so I am wondering if I should take a gamble and pass this allocation on the hope that a PTS allocation becomes available before the end of August. My fallback colour would probably be gentian blue, although I am not sure if I Iike the purplish tones under some light conditions. I would appreciate your opinions.
I wasn't offered a PTS allocation, and I am nowhere near VIP enough to bother asking for one. I consider myself lucky to even have got an SRS allocation in Sydney.

I have been told that PCA and therefore the dealers only get allocations in 3 month blocks. So I believe for the Mar/Apr/May block there are no PTS SRS allocations in all of Australia. There is no definite guarantee on the (final for SRS and in fact all 718/Macan) Jun/Jul/Aug block yet - but I guess it is possible to wait for this final 3 month block and pray pray pray that there are PTS allocations, and that you get offered one.

In Sydney - I think you would have to be a serious VIP to expect this. In Perth - the market is very different. My cousin in Perth was offered an SRS allocation despite not being on a waiting list for one. I guess it is conceivable in such a market that you could try your luck for a PTS SRS with the final 3 month block... but you are playing a very dangerous game imo!
Old 01-29-2024, 02:24 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Goofnik
I'll be talking with my salesman/dealership on Friday to see what the situation is.

-----

This summer I saw three GT4 RSes at a car show. ALL THREE are currently back in possession of the selling dealers, used, for sale. One is marked up $45K at one dealer, the others +$60K at the other. One has only 25 miles.

Having sold Porsches before, two of them are almost certainly, "bridge cars." Cars bought to secure the ability to buy something else (GT3 Touring, GT3 RS). They were willing to play ball -- other people who would actually keep and drive these cars be damned -- so the dealer makes the money they want to make, as that's all that matters.

------

We'll see what happens. Odds are good I'll be able to get an allocation in time, but we'll see what it's going to cost. I've known the salesman 15 years, and he knows I don't flip cars, I drive them, people see me driving them (even in wild weather, offroad), etc. However I'm not hopeful that despite trying to "play that game" as best as I can over the years, that it'll matter. My gut tells me if I don't play ball, I'll get passed for someone else using a Spyder RS as a bridge car for something else. As that'll be the GM's call. Granted, it means I can just find a better deal.

For the record, a few 911 Dakars up locally in recent times were also obvious bridge cars. Almost proof that if it isn't a GT3 Touring, GT3 RS or something special like a Sport Classic or S/T, no one actually wants them bad enough. They're just a means for the dealer's end.
I got some brownie points from my dealer, the sales manager lives in the same neighborhood as me, and he loved seeing me drive by him on a rainy day in my GT3 RS, maybe it helped me, because I got a Spyder RS allocation. (Or maybe it's because I've bought a used GT3 RS and a BGTS 4.0 from them in the past 6 months)

Last edited by Amochosto; 01-29-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:42 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 143 Posts

My dates just moved up a week. Looking like the 4/11 build and manufacturing will be completed on May 6th as of now. Still waiting on dates for euro delivery...
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 12:40 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 974 Likes on 424 Posts

Spyder RS used as a "bridge car". Interesting take on the current situation.

I sold my GT4RS because I'm getting the Spyder RS. No, the GT4RS wasn't sold because it was a bridge car, but because I always preferred spyder over the coupes.

Using your analogy, a GT3 Touring is also a bridge car that people are selling because they want the ST. When people sell their GT3RS, it's also a bridge car for the GT2RS, lol.

Originally Posted by Goofnik
I'll be talking with my salesman/dealership on Friday to see what the situation is.

-----

This summer I saw three GT4 RSes at a car show. ALL THREE are currently back in possession of the selling dealers, used, for sale. One is marked up $45K at one dealer, the others +$60K at the other. One has only 25 miles.

Having sold Porsches before, two of them are almost certainly, "bridge cars." Cars bought to secure the ability to buy something else (GT3 Touring, GT3 RS). They were willing to play ball -- other people who would actually keep and drive these cars be damned -- so the dealer makes the money they want to make, as that's all that matters.

------

We'll see what happens. Odds are good I'll be able to get an allocation in time, but we'll see what it's going to cost. I've known the salesman 15 years, and he knows I don't flip cars, I drive them, people see me driving them (even in wild weather, offroad), etc. However I'm not hopeful that despite trying to "play that game" as best as I can over the years, that it'll matter. My gut tells me if I don't play ball, I'll get passed for someone else using a Spyder RS as a bridge car for something else. As that'll be the GM's call. Granted, it means I can just find a better deal.

For the record, a few 911 Dakars up locally in recent times were also obvious bridge cars. Almost proof that if it isn't a GT3 Touring, GT3 RS or something special like a Sport Classic or S/T, no one actually wants them bad enough. They're just a means for the dealer's end.
Jay Cordeiro (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 12:58 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 153 Posts

Along with many of you i hate this "bridge car" thing, it's beyond frustrating and i see it all the time. My closest dealer sells RS cars to the same damn guy who buys them and "sells" them back within the month without adding more than 100 miles to anything. I have no idea what his strategy is since he already gets the halo cars and doesn't keep them or drive them. He will likely get the ST as well and do the same thing so the dealer can sell it for 500k.
I add 3-4k miles each year to my 3RS and want a SRS to drive even more. F these people grabbing all the allocations.
The following 5 users liked this post by Brainofjjj:
fasteddie99 (02-01-2024), Frank1119 (01-31-2024), Jay Cordeiro (01-31-2024), McClown (01-31-2024), RedCarrot (02-01-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 10:53 PM
ColsterLXXV
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IanY
I wasn't offered a PTS allocation, and I am nowhere near VIP enough to bother asking for one. I consider myself lucky to even have got an SRS allocation in Sydney.

I have been told that PCA and therefore the dealers only get allocations in 3 month blocks. So I believe for the Mar/Apr/May block there are no PTS SRS allocations in all of Australia. There is no definite guarantee on the (final for SRS and in fact all 718/Macan) Jun/Jul/Aug block yet - but I guess it is possible to wait for this final 3 month block and pray pray pray that there are PTS allocations, and that you get offered one.

In Sydney - I think you would have to be a serious VIP to expect this. In Perth - the market is very different. My cousin in Perth was offered an SRS allocation despite not being on a waiting list for one. I guess it is conceivable in such a market that you could try your luck for a PTS SRS with the final 3 month block... but you are playing a very dangerous game imo!
Hi Ian, thanks for your advice. I was advised by the SA that there will be no PTS allocations in the Jun-Aug block. I was surprised how they would know if they have not received these allocations as of yet? Maybe they have some inside info, maybe they were trying to nudge me towards accepting the non-PTS allocation. I took the punt and said I would wait, and of course now I am having second thoughts. If I do not receive another allocation there will be no one to blame other than myself and I am prepared to accept that. Based on my very basic research via used/demo sales, PTS uptake seems to be very low in Australia across all porsche models, whether that is because people are not willing to spend the money, or no PTS slots are available to start with.

Did you cousin accept the allocation? He might of got mine, if so congrats to him! 👍

Last edited by ColsterLXXV; 01-31-2024 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:32 AM
McClown
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm considering doubling down on an expression of interest for the June to August allocation. If PTS becomes available then SRS #1 can go back on the market. Call it a bridge car . If there isn't PTS, then SRS #1 is a keeper.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:28 AM
ColsterLXXV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by McClown
I'm considering doubling down on an expression of interest for the June to August allocation. If PTS becomes available then SRS #1 can go back on the market. Call it a bridge car . If there isn't PTS, then SRS #1 is a keeper.
Has your SA mentioned anything about the possibility of a PTS allocations being available for the Australian market in the Jun-Aug block? As I mentioned previously, my SA was adamant that there was zero chance of a PTS allocation before the model closes to the Australian market. Just to clarify, he implied the Australian market as whole,not just WA, but I do wonder if he was telling me a small porkie pie.

Last edited by ColsterLXXV; 02-01-2024 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:20 AM
IanY
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Ian, thanks for your advice. I was advised by the SA that there will be no PTS allocations in the Jun-Aug block. I was surprised how they would know if they have not received these allocations as of yet? Maybe they have some inside info, maybe they were trying to nudge me towards accepting the non-PTS allocation. I took the punt and said I would wait, and of course now I am having second thoughts. If I do not receive another allocation there will be no one to blame other than myself and I am prepared to accept that. Based on my very basic research via used/demo sales, PTS uptake seems to be very low in Australia across all porsche models, whether that is because people are not willing to spend the money, or no PTS slots are available to start with.

Did you cousin accept the allocation? He might of got mine, if so congrats to him! 👍
I believe the dealers get a forecast of what will occur over the year. However the forecasts are not set in stone and can change. When the 3 month block of allocations are given, then that is 100% accurate.

So perhaps your dealer is being honest with you. They might have been told in their forecast no PTS for the Jun/Jul/Aug block.

Given the timing, I think it is highly likely my cousin was offered your allocation you gave up. I really thought it was strange when he told me about it. He said no btw. Lack of manual transmission was a deal breaker for him.

Good luck with your quest for PTS Fjord Green!

Old 02-01-2024, 06:43 AM
McClown
Instructor

Has your SA mentioned anything about the possibility of a PTS allocations being available for the Australian market in the Jun-Aug block? As I mentioned previously, my SA was adamant that there was zero chance of a PTS allocation before the model closes to the Australian market. Just to clarify, he implied the Australian market as whole,not just WA, but I do wonder if he was telling me a small porkie pie.
I was/am thrilled to have an allocation. Lock date has just been brought forward three days and is now 2 Feb! My SA has been a gem. As mentioned earlier I begged and begged for PTS and was told I was on the list for it but there was a lock (can't think of the correct term) on placing a PTS order in Australia. If it had been lifted I reckon given the level of service I have received that I would have been told. I'm just going to try my luck and ask for a second one in the June block on the proviso that PTS is available.

So I reckon your SA is being straight up with you.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:40 AM
ColsterLXXV
Intermediate

I was/am thrilled to have an allocation. Lock date has just been brought forward three days and is now 2 Feb! My SA has been a gem. As mentioned earlier I begged and begged for PTS and was told I was on the list for it but there was a lock (can't think of the correct term) on placing a PTS order in Australia. If it had been lifted I reckon given the level of service I have received that I would have been told. I'm just going to try my luck and ask for a second one in the June block on the proviso that PTS is available.

Please let me know if you hear of/receive a PTS allocation from the June-August block, that way I can query my SA with regards to whether a PTS allocation is available in WA. I suspect if I go back to him now and ask about future PTS availability, especially when I previously asked him to delay my my inital allocation until the final allocations are released, (just in case a PTS becomes available), he likely to reiterate the comment that PTS is not available (at all) for the Australian variant of the Spyder RS, or get annoyed and tell me to take a long walk off a short pier! 😏 His manager quite frankly refused to entertain the notion of a future PTS allocation being available (whether I actually received it or not).

Last edited by ColsterLXXV; 02-01-2024 at 07:46 AM.
McClown (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 08:00 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

So you would buy two SRS’s just so u can get one in PTS?? What’s the colour??
Old 02-01-2024, 05:48 PM
McClown
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shookie
So you would buy two SRS’s just so u can get one in PTS?? What’s the colour??
I have four colours in mind at this stage. Not sure on which one ultimately and not it's front of mind at the moment seeing that freeze point is today and therefore at this stage what I have is what I have...
Old 02-01-2024, 09:38 PM
ColsterLXXV
Intermediate

I have four colours in mind at this stage. Not sure on which one ultimately and not it's front of mind at the moment seeing that freeze point is today and therefore at this stage what I have is what I have...
That build locked fast! When is the scheduled build date?

Quick Reply: Spyder RS Allocation Thread