Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS "roof" major concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 11:20 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This thread is just incredible....
The target market for this car is very, very limited (and also it's use)....you have the go fast goodies of the 4RS but then you have speed restrictions with roof up. Ok, so roof down it is but then no track time, at least with PCA. It is what it is.
I think some people will pass, a bunch of other will buy and then find out it's not the car they hope for and a very limited number will embrace it for what it is and just enjoy it (or flip it!!!).
These are going to be rare out in the wild.....
My PCA region (UCR) allows top down driving if you have arm restraints.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:06 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I'm hoping for an exception along these lines. It would be a shame to not do the occasional DE event with the club. Of course that assumes the longshot of getting one actually happens.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:45 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
It was clearly stated in the release video that the engineering on the SRS was designed to optimize flow when the top is down. Is the current roof concept poorly done.. IMO, yes...

Who the hell buys a drop top with the thought in mind about how the roof looks or functions; did you plan to only drive the SRS in the rain, if so, get a rain jacket. In short, Im calling you out on not having an allocation, bc you would have to be downright OUT OF YOUR MIND to take a pass on it.

I would be all over an SRS allocation if one was made available to me, and if I had the spare ZERO's ($$$$$$) at my disposal.
Porsche has an additional part in the options to add the back waterproof section. No rain jacket needed.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:47 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Porsche did what they had to do to make this car a reality. It is amazing, but it also could be one of those examples of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". It is a track car first and foremost, but for this purpose the GT4RS is better suited.

The issue with rain is a real one. And one can set out in perfectly nice weather, then...boom....sudden thunderstorm and major downpour. I have had this happen in my Spyder and have managed to quickly get the roof up. It is also the reason I switched from PSC2 tires to PS4S tires. Conditions just have to be so perfect to be able to enjoy the SRS. I think it would be a great addition for someone who has several (or more) other toys to play with for varying situations. However, if this car is your sole toy, I think you would be better off with the GT4RS or "ordinary" Spyder.

Last edited by VVG; 05-11-2023 at 01:56 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by VVG:
Manifold (05-11-2023), rwm (05-13-2023), sin911 (05-11-2023), sirtom (05-11-2023), UncleDude (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:56 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Porsche did what they had to do to make this car a reality. It is amazing, but it also could be one of those examples of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". It is a track car first and foremost, but for this purpose the GT4RS is better suited.

The issue with rain is a real one. And one can set out in perfectly nice weather, then...boom....sudden thunderstorm and major downpour. I have had this happen in my Spyder and have managed to quickly get the roof up. It is also the reason I switched from PSC2 tires to PS4S tires. Conditions just have to so perfect to be able to enjoy the SRS. I think it would be a great addition for someone who has several (or more) other toys to play with for varying situations. However, if this car is your sole toy, I think you would be better off with the GT4RS or "ordinary" Spyder.
I think you just hit the nail in the head.....but trust me, they will sell every single one of them
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:58 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 405 Likes on 246 Posts

Porsche: "Our cars are made to be driven, not polished! Wait, no, not like that. Only in perfect weather! Disagree? Suck it, here's a four-banger for you."

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 05-11-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:59 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Mine doesn't....if I'm not mistaken you need a 4,5 or 6 point belts for the arm restraints, so one more thing to add + harness bar...and if you are a student you need to do it on both sides.
But doubt many SRS owners plan on tracking a lot their cars
Old 05-11-2023, 01:05 PM
Puggz
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG

The issue with rain is a real one. And one can set out in perfectly nice weather, then...boom....sudden thunderstorm and major downpour. I have had this happen in my Spyder and have managed to quickly get the roof up. It is also the reason I switched from PSC2 tires to PS4S tires. Conditions just have to so perfect to be able to enjoy the SRS. I think it would be a great addition for someone who has several (or more) other toys to play with for varying situations. However, if this car is your sole toy, I think you would be better off with the GT4RS or "ordinary" Spyder.
agreed - this would likely sit in my garage with the top down and stored. I'd still drive it every chance I got but It wont be my only sports car so that doesn't matter. Only car? absolutely not Daily Driver material and if its your only toy, you may want to consider something else.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:23 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
It was clearly stated in the release video that the engineering on the SRS was designed to optimize flow when the top is down. Is the current roof concept poorly done.. IMO, yes...

Who the hell buys a drop top with the thought in mind about how the roof looks or functions; did you plan to only drive the SRS in the rain, if so, get a rain jacket. In short, Im calling you out on not having an allocation, bc you would have to be downright OUT OF YOUR MIND to take a pass on it.
Honestly back in the day when the GTS 4.0 was released I debated letting go of my Spyder build and swapping it for a BGTS4.0 just because of the roof. I close my roof whenever I leave the car to eat, buy coffee, groceries, etc. Too many crazy homeless people out here in LA. Don't want a homeless dude taking a dump or projectile vomiting into my car While realistically our cars (GT4 & Spyder) are around the same price of a base 911, they do look special and are way more attention grabbing in both good and bad ways. Now that I see the SRS roof, I'm grateful for our standard Spyder roofs. Makes it look like a piece of cake lol!
The following 4 users liked this post by sin911:
AtoB (05-11-2023), Larry Cable (05-11-2023), rwm (05-13-2023), sirtom (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 01:59 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I think you just hit the nail in the head.....but trust me, they will sell every single one of them
Yes they will, and a lot will be garage queens.
The following 2 users liked this post by VVG:
GTSPYDER23 (05-11-2023), sirtom (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 02:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Honestly back in the day when the GTS 4.0 was released I debated letting go of my Spyder build and swapping it for a BGTS4.0 just because of the roof. I close my roof whenever I leave the car to eat, buy coffee, groceries, etc. Too many crazy homeless people out here in LA. Don't want a homeless dude taking a dump or projectile vomiting into my car While realistically our cars (GT4 & Spyder) are around the same price of a base 911, they do look special and are way more attention grabbing in both good and bad ways. Now that I see the SRS roof, I'm grateful for our standard Spyder roofs. Makes it look like a piece of cake lol!
I do the same, coding the car to lock the roof from the keyfob helps with this, I typically do not attach the buttresses when closing temporarily.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
sin911 (05-11-2023), Visceral (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 02:22 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 786 Posts

When will we get details/video on the "full" Spyder roof install that should make it water tight?
Old 05-11-2023, 02:25 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Yes, living in S. CA has pluses and minus, but after owning my Spyder since February, I don't mind the roof. Not as bad as I initially thought based. In fact, I kind of like it. Operating my Spyder roof makes the car feel all that more special and connected with it. And yes, this is coming from a guy still owning and driving a 99 Boxster with a push button roof.
Larry Cable (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 02:27 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,659 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
When will we get details/video on the "full" Spyder roof install that should make it water tight?
While we wait check out the 987.2 videos.

Sun shade attachment is almost identical, suspect the weather protector will be similar also.

I only put mine on a handful of times…
Old 05-11-2023, 03:17 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSPYDER23
Yes, living in S. CA has pluses and minus, but after owning my Spyder since February, I don't mind the roof. Not as bad as I initially thought based. In fact, I kind of like it. Operating my Spyder roof makes the car feel all that more special and connected with it. And yes, this is coming from a guy still owning and driving a 99 Boxster with a push button roof.
After a couple of times I've gotten very used to the top as well and it does not take that long. Feels odd that we're paying over $100k for a car when we have to hop in and out to put the roof up and down when 99.99% of the convertibles out there in the market come standard with automatic roofs. Sometimes I feel a bit embarrassed as I can almost see other people are looking at me like a weirdo driving around a brand new Porsche and manually folding a roof My wife was so disappointed to hear the cheaper models actually have automated roof... 'But it looks prettier' was my only valid excuse by her. The thing that kicks up my OCD worst is the fact that you leave fingerprints on the rear decklid when you put the roof up or down.
nel blu (05-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Spyder RS "roof" major concerns