Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS "roof" major concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 08:06 AM
theEnd
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 72 Posts

The roof is fine. They messed up the gearbox.

Manual roof : manual shifter
The following 6 users liked this post by theEnd:
Alan Smithee (05-13-2023), CDACH (05-11-2023), kwikit356 (05-11-2023), Larry Cable (05-11-2023), longhorntodd (06-28-2023), Mr P. Pan (05-11-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-11-2023, 08:17 AM
Mr P. Pan
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by sirtom
The new car is great but has a massive Achilles heel.

I thought the 718 Spyder roof was poor in terms of usability (compared to the 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 roof which can be operated from inside the car easily), but the Spyder RS roof is even worse than I imagined. It seems like a similar challenge to the notorious 987 Boxster Spyder roof, perhaps a bit more challenging with the wider car.

Imagine what would happen in rain / excessive sun / heat / excessive cold / many other situations - it takes two minutes to put on - with two experienced people working in tandem, and that does not include putting on the rear window. Even when you know what you’re doing and have someone willing and able to help you, it’s not a quick or easy process.
The Spyder RS roof is worse than the 911 Speedster.

And when the roof is on, the roof does not seem to be very useful, with no videos showing the window going in - and with max speed limitations (or else the roof gets damaged).

Given that I don't live in paradise full time, I'm looking for a way to make this car somewhat livable!
My best idea for a fix so far (other than buying a house and garage in San Diego and never parking or driving it anywhere else )
is to get 718 Spyder parts and upgrade it to that roof. Those pesky air intakes may be problematically located, but it may be possible to work around this.

Does anyone here know if it may be possible (based on parts diagrams) to retrofit a 718 Spyder roof at a minimum?
Or any other ideas for possible aftermarket improvement?
Personally the thing I like most about the car apart from the engine is that they put a 987 style roof on. So much better. You do not need 2 people. I do my 987 Spyder roof well within a minute by myself. Having looked at the RS roof, it will be about the same. No chance to retrofit a 718 Spyder roof I think. But If you can, and you get a RS then I'll happily swap roofs with my 718 Spyder.

And with regards to the speed limitation with roof on: The 987 Spyder has the same limitation. But I have always ignored it without any problems. And you shouldn't drive too much above 200kph in the rain anyway. (On the track I never drive with roof on.)

Last edited by Mr P. Pan; 05-11-2023 at 08:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr P. Pan:
sirtom (05-11-2023), Zeus993 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 08:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,312 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Be honest with yourself. The roof is a major limiting factor. The car only makes sense for people who will park it in their garage with the roof off, take it for a fun drive in nice weather without stopping anywhere and parking it, then returning to your garage.

If you need a car with an open top that can be driven in various conditions, you need a Boxster or 911 cab. Spyder RS can’t do what those cars do, it’s a narrowly specialized car.
The following users liked this post:
sirtom (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 09:08 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,279 Posts

For me, when up, the back of the top is clunkier and less gracefully lined than the std spyder top. Like that Ferrari pic above. Very awkward.

But then the top would only be up when raining. Or stupid hit, I guess.

When I drive places, I just leave my spyder top down and the windows up. So far, no issues. (Knock wood) You just have to decide to accept whatever happens. If you can’t do that, then yeah, this is a very narrow application collector’s car.

Last edited by Adrift; 05-11-2023 at 09:10 AM.
sirtom (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 09:45 AM
Tjeukeh
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
Is this thread for reals? The roof was not designed this way to make it more difficult for people to put it up, it's only purpose for being designed this way was for the air intakes on the deck lid.

Sounds like this car is not for you, or anyone else having a sook over the roof
well ok , these white wearing engineers had
15 years to come up with a better solution
on an expensive model like this!!!

i was today at my porsche centre
to remove me from the list because of this
so i cancled!! this is unacceptable
and happy that ive a for me now a very
acceptable roof , comparing to the monster
umbrella they gonna deliver on the rs

cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by Tjeukeh:
rwm (05-13-2023), sirtom (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 09:58 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Tjeukeh
well ok , these white wearing engineers had
15 years to come up with a better solution
on an expensive model like this!!!

i was today at my porsche centre
to remove me from the list because of this
so i cancled!! this is unacceptable
and happy that ive a for me now a very
acceptable roof , comparing to the monster
umbrella they gonna deliver on the rs

cheers
It was clearly stated in the release video that the engineering on the SRS was designed to optimize flow when the top is down. Is the current roof concept poorly done.. IMO, yes...

Who the hell buys a drop top with the thought in mind about how the roof looks or functions; did you plan to only drive the SRS in the rain, if so, get a rain jacket. In short, Im calling you out on not having an allocation, bc you would have to be downright OUT OF YOUR MIND to take a pass on it.

I would be all over an SRS allocation if one was made available to me, and if I had the spare ZERO's ($$$$$$) at my disposal.

The following 2 users liked this post by BoxKing:
Larry Cable (05-11-2023), lilbza (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Tjeukeh
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
It was clearly stated in the release video that the engineering on the SRS was designed to optimize flow when the top is down. Is the current roof concept poorly done.. IMO, yes...

Who the hell buys a drop top with the thought in mind about how the roof looks or functions; did you plan to only drive the SRS in the rain, if so, get a rain jacket. In short, Im calling you out on not having an allocation, bc you would have to be downright OUT OF YOUR MIND to take a pass on it.

I would be all over an SRS allocation if one was made available to me, and if I had the spare ZERO's ($$$$$$) at my disposal.
lol well maybe you live in miami but this
is europe talking , so i wanna look at the
road the check my status and not
checking the sky !!! yep could be the
case that i make a mistake but arent we
all do this at some point , never the less
done and closed , im happy with my current
spyder and "well designed roof"
Old 05-11-2023, 10:02 AM
nitesho
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

yep. you can't even open it with the top in place. You need to press the button inside to release the windshield latch so it takes the pressure off the buttresses and then the trunk will open
Old 05-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Who the hell buys a drop top with the thought in mind about how the roof looks or functions;
Pretty much everyone?
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
Larson E. Rapp (05-11-2023), Manifold (05-11-2023), rwm (05-13-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Try sitting on the door sill and reaching in to the center console button. That’s what I do and makes it easier than climbing in and out again
The issue I have with mine is that unless I reach up and grasped one of the two holds behind the front edge of the top, and pull down some to close the gap, the lever will not acitvate. So one has to be able to be in the cabin, reach up and pull down with your left hand, then with the gap closed, lift up on the centre consol button with your right hand.

It sounds like your's closes nicely on it's own. Perhaps it's broken in more? Sitting now lower with little gap?

Regardless, a nice simple clamp like the Gen-1 and this new RS would be the ticket. Nice simple engineering. Less electicial BS.

P.s. I would love to figure out the way to unbolt it and leave it in storage. Perhaps a small bimmini folded up somewhere for emergencies.

Last edited by Zeus993; 05-11-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:41 AM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Anybody else eagerly awaiting the inevitable road test between Matt Farahs Strawberry Shortcake and the new SRS?
Zeus993 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:50 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

This thread is just incredible....
The target market for this car is very, very limited (and also it's use)....you have the go fast goodies of the 4RS but then you have speed restrictions with roof up. Ok, so roof down it is but then no track time, at least with PCA. It is what it is.
I think some people will pass, a bunch of other will buy and then find out it's not the car they hope for and a very limited number will embrace it for what it is and just enjoy it (or flip it!!!).
These are going to be rare out in the wild.....
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
sirtom (05-11-2023), ToasterThief (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:58 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

At least it has a roof...

Old 05-11-2023, 10:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,312 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
This thread is just incredible....
The target market for this car is very, very limited (and also it's use)....you have the go fast goodies of the 4RS but then you have speed restrictions with roof up. Ok, so roof down it is but then no track time, at least with PCA. It is what it is.
I think some people will pass, a bunch of other will buy and then find out it's not the car they hope for and a very limited number will embrace it for what it is and just enjoy it (or flip it!!!).
These are going to be rare out in the wild.....
I'll be honest. I've leaned hard on my dealer to get me an MSRP allocation, and I think I can get it. But as I think about this roof thing more and the incoherence of the design concept for this car, I'm already starting to lean towards not getting one. Or if I get one, I'll hardly drive it and then hope to flip it for profit in a few years, and it would be the first car I bought with that intention.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:18 AM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I am first in line on the list to get on the list of the guy who submits the list to get on the allocation list. At MSRP.

Quick Reply: Spyder RS "roof" major concerns