Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS "roof" major concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 09:33 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH78
What is the money above MSRP is expected for this car?
$100k should get you in the ballpark 👍
Old 05-10-2023, 10:49 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

I’m with Zeus. All this hate on the roof is silly… it’s a spyder rs ffs. It has a gt3 engine. It’s meant to be driven with roof down.

next up: haters on wheel options.
The following 5 users liked this post by dichael:
Larry Cable (05-11-2023), McClown (11-06-2023), Odin (05-13-2023), ToasterThief (05-11-2023), Unstock (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:16 PM
nitesho
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I could open the rear trunk with the roof on. At least it looks like you can with the RS
Old 05-10-2023, 11:30 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by nitesho
I wish I could open the rear trunk with the roof on. At least it looks like you can with the RS
WTF?!?! I never knew that. LOL
Old 05-10-2023, 11:48 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

As flimsy as the top looked on the 987.2 Spyder it was pretty effective at keeping the elements out. While I knew I couldn’t take it through a car wash without getting soaked I never had any issues during heavy rain storms. If the Spyder RS top is engineered the same way I’m sure it’ll be just fine. And I kinda miss that old Spyder. Dealing with top made it more of a hands-on, engaging experience. It was a special car.
The following 6 users liked this post by Jay9722:
Craig67 (05-11-2023), Dana R (05-11-2023), RoadrunnerGTS (05-11-2023), rwm (05-13-2023), UncleDude (05-11-2023), Zeus993 (05-11-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:22 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 130 Posts

I recently stopped by the dealer to make sure that my 718 Spyder roof was covered under warranty even if I never put it up. In other words, is it OK to be universally stored in the garage with the top down. They said yes.

I'm clearly OK with the Spyder RS roof, and if I can do that in Portland, OR, you'll be just fine.

Simply put, I don't drive the Spyder on days that I can't put the top down. I have a Taycan for that.
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:32 AM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
I recently stopped by the dealer to make sure that my 718 Spyder roof was covered under warranty even if I never put it up. In other words, is it OK to be universally stored in the garage with the top down. They said yes.

I'm clearly OK with the Spyder RS roof, and if I can do that in Portland, OR, you'll be just fine.

Simply put, I don't drive the Spyder on days that I can't put the top down. I have a Taycan for that.
The only problem I had with my 981 Spyder top staying permanently stowed was the round “bump stop” indentations that never went away. It was so tightly packed away under the trunk lid that it left marks.

I always kept the top down on my 996TTS and the grease they used on the metal frame assembly stained my blue top. I was never able to get it out. And it was way out of warranty.
Just an FYI to look out for.
bills742 (05-13-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 01:28 AM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay9722
It’s a shame they don’t make a hardtop version of this vehicle for all the ragtop haters…🙄
Originally Posted by lilbza
Is this thread for reals? The roof was not designed this way to make it more difficult for people to put it up, it's only purpose for being designed this way was for the air intakes on the deck lid.
Sounds like this car is not for you, or anyone else having a sook over the roof
This IS the car for me - I specifically want this engine, transmission, roof down experience, and a slightly more usable roof.
I don't know of any other Porsche spyder with this engine and PDK. The speedster is close, but it isn't mid engined or PDK. The 718 spyder is close, but it doesn't have my favorite Porsche engine.
Wanting a more usable roof (even if it's the 718 Spyder roof) doesn't mean I want don't want the SRS at all, that's quite a stretch and not something I said at all.

While discussing usability, I'd also rather have the wheels without centerlocks, but that is something I'd only enjoy the better usability of a couple times per year - however a more usable roof would be useful a couple times a day! Because I want to drive the car a LOT - take it places, drive it in the cool morning, hot daytime, and cool night, and park it everywhere I go in between! And I don't want the roof off in public, or to have to do a bunch of complicated theatrics parallel parking in the city in front of others or while being harassed for spare change or stared at while doing so. I *love* everything about the car otherwise (maybe other than the centerlocks, as mentioned), it's a perfect formula driver's car that I'd want to take everywhere, especially b/c it has PDK which makes it easy to drive everywhere (city, country, autobahn, etc).

I also drive extremely fast when I can, and am hoping to get the car in Europe, and use it on country roads and the autobahn - which also means a better roof would be nice for high speeds. I want a car to have a lot more usability than a sport bike, not just a little more. So I'm trying to find a solution to improve that, as you can see from my first post.

So - back to the original subject - I'm trying to determine if and how I can retrofit 718 Spyder or other improved usability roof parts for improved ease of putting it up and down.

The rear of the 718 Spyder and SRS both look pretty darn similar and I'm sure it could be done with some ingenuity.
I hope that wanting to design or buy something to improve my experience with a car I'm super excited about doesn't offend people or make you think I'm a hater of the car. Not sure where you get these reactions, but please don't jump to such conclusions. I love this car and want to USE IT EVERYWHERE.

Last edited by sirtom; 05-11-2023 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:37 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 579 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtom
This IS the car for me - I specifically want this engine, transmission, roof down experience, and a slightly more usable roof.
I don't know of any other Porsche spyder with this engine and PDK. The speedster is close, but it isn't mid engined or PDK. The 718 spyder is close, but it doesn't have my favorite Porsche engine.
Wanting a more usable roof (even if it's the 718 Spyder roof) doesn't mean I want don't want the SRS at all, that's quite a stretch and not something I said at all.

While discussing usability, I'd also rather have the wheels without centerlocks, but that is something I'd only enjoy the better usability of a couple times per year - however a more usable roof would be useful a couple times a day! Because I want to drive the car a LOT - take it places, drive it in the cool morning, hot daytime, and cool night, and park it everywhere I go in between! And I don't want the roof off in public, or to have to do a bunch of complicated theatrics parallel parking in the city in front of others or while being harassed for spare change or stared at while doing so. I *love* everything about the car otherwise (maybe other than the centerlocks, as mentioned), it's a perfect formula driver's car that I'd want to take everywhere, especially b/c it has PDK which makes it easy to drive everywhere (city, country, autobahn, etc).

I also drive extremely fast when I can, and am hoping to get the car in Europe, and use it on country roads and the autobahn - which also means a better roof would be nice for high speeds. I want a car to have a lot more usability than a sport bike, not just a little more. So I'm trying to find a solution to improve that, as you can see from my first post.

So - back to the original subject - I'm trying to determine if and how I can retrofit 718 Spyder or other improved usability roof parts for improved ease of putting it up and down.

The rear of the 718 Spyder and SRS both look pretty darn similar and I'm sure it could be done with some ingenuity.
I hope that wanting to design or buy something to improve my experience with a car I'm super excited about doesn't offend people or make you think I'm a hater of the car. Please don't jump to such conclusions.
Okay fair enough, but going full circle here, if they (Porsche engineers) could have fitted the standard Spyder roof, they would have done just that, rather than re-engineer an entirely new design - It's needed for the cowbell intakes.

I think hoping for any kind of solution before cars are even in the hands of customers, is asking a bit much. You'd need to wait until cars are delivered to fully investigate the plumbing of those intakes, and if/how you could re-route it. At a guess I think you won't have any luck, at least not without spending MEGA dollars.

Goodluck!
Larry Cable (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 02:02 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtom

I hope that wanting to design or buy something to improve my experience with a car I'm super excited about doesn't offend people or make you think I'm a hater of the car. Not sure where you get these reactions, but please don't jump to such conclusions. I love this car and want to USE IT EVERYWHERE.
The less convenient the top, the greater the roadster. The Morgan, Bugeye, Cobra, Lotus Seven, and now the Spyder RS all prove the point.
Odin (05-13-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 02:04 AM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lilbza
Okay fair enough, but going full circle here, if they (Porsche engineers) could have fitted the standard Spyder roof, they would have done just that, rather than re-engineer an entirely new design - It's needed for the cowbell intakes.

I think hoping for any kind of solution before cars are even in the hands of customers, is asking a bit much. You'd need to wait until cars are delivered to fully investigate the plumbing of those intakes, and if/how you could re-route it. At a guess I think you won't have any luck, at least not without spending MEGA dollars.

Goodluck!
Fair enough, just planning ahead / seeing if others had better ideas than me already. I don't expect the car to be in my hands soon. I've had people message me to tell me they love the roof and others say it's atrocious, I'm in the middle and see pros and cons to it, just a few more cons than I hoped for my kind of usage.

Agreed, may need to wait to get my hands on one - or at analyze some more detailed parts diagrams with a keen eye once they're available. Thank you.
lilbza (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 02:09 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
The less convenient the top, the greater the roadster. The Morgan, Bugeye, Cobra, Lotus Seven, and now the Spyder RS all prove the point.
Just forget about the top

It is an "occasion car"

Odin (05-13-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 02:14 AM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
The roof reminds me of the Ferrari 550 Barchetta,

This was later replaced with a totally different type of electrochromic roof on the 575 Superamerica (not saying it's better or worse, just a fact).

The 550 Barchetta roof was done largely in tribute to the Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta, a significant car in Ferrari's history.

If you look at the car in my profile pic, a 1954 Pre-A Speedster, that is a significant car in Porsche's history. I quite like the roof operation on it, and would prefer a similar throwback but to that Porsche car. Would be a cool tribute and easier, IMO.

Saying worse top = better roadster sure sounds romantic, lol, but not so practical!
California has the weather to support such a car, but they also have the homeless guys that harass me for change the longer I stand by my expensive car trying to mess with parking...

I'm sure they'd also think a Spyder RS is even better with a worse top, so they can bother me longer while I spend 3+ mins putting the roof on by myself. But I wouldn't think that (just based on my experiences). I really like parking and using the car in many places. When I had a sportbike, I'd drive from point A back to A, and not leave it places. But I would really want to leave a car like this parked many places in the course of a day, going from point A to B to C to D then back to A.

Last edited by sirtom; 05-11-2023 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:30 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 461 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Weight savings is huge.
Weight savings is practically nonexistent. 10-15 kg or so, compared to the bog-standard Boxster power top.

They are laughing at you. Porsche, I mean. They are laughing.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:45 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
has the ridiculous electric clamp that I have to limbo back into the drivers seat to secure.
Try sitting on the door sill and reaching in to the center console button. That’s what I do and makes it easier than climbing in and out again
kwikit356 (05-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Spyder RS "roof" major concerns