Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The Official Vanadium Grey Metallic Color Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 02:57 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwy
Here is something nerdy about the name Vanadium It is actually element 23 on the periodic table. And it's silver grey in colour.

Image explanation
The symbol is based on an 8th-century figurine of the Scandinavian goddess Freyja, after whom the element is named. It is set against a text from an Icelandic saga written in the 13th century.
Appearance
A silvery metal that resists corrosion.
Uses
About 80% of the vanadium produced is used as a steel additive. Vanadium-steel alloys are very tough and are used for armour plate, axles, tools, piston rods and crankshafts. Less than 1% of vanadium, and as little chromium, makes steel shock resistant and vibration resistant. Vanadium alloys are used in nuclear reactors because of vanadium’s low neutron-absorbing properties.

Vanadium(V) oxide is used as a pigment for ceramics and glass, as a catalyst and in producing superconducting magnets.
Biological role
Vanadium is essential to some species, including humans, although we need very little. We take in just 0.01 milligrams each day, and this is more than sufficient for our needs. In some compounds vanadium can become toxic.
Natural abundance
Vanadium is found in about 65 different minerals including vanadinite, carnotite and patronite. It is also found in phosphate rock, certain iron ores and some crude oils in the form of organic complexes.

Vanadium metal is obtained by reducing vanadium(V) oxide with calcium in a pressure vessel. Vanadium of high purity can be obtained by reducing vanadium(III) chloride with magnesium.

I did my undergrad degree in Chemistry, so I relate well to your "nerdy" contribution here.
Keep up the good work

Cheers,
Martin
The following users liked this post:
Hwy (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 08:27 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 586 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwy;[url=tel:18808904
18808904[/url]]Here is something nerdy about the name Vanadium It is actually element 23 on the periodic table. And it's silver grey in colour.

Image explanation
The symbol is based on an 8th-century figurine of the Scandinavian goddess Freyja, after whom the element is named. It is set against a text from an Icelandic saga written in the 13th century.
Appearance
A silvery metal that resists corrosion.
Uses
About 80% of the vanadium produced is used as a steel additive. Vanadium-steel alloys are very tough and are used for armour plate, axles, tools, piston rods and crankshafts. Less than 1% of vanadium, and as little chromium, makes steel shock resistant and vibration resistant. Vanadium alloys are used in nuclear reactors because of vanadium’s low neutron-absorbing properties.

Vanadium(V) oxide is used as a pigment for ceramics and glass, as a catalyst and in producing superconducting magnets.
Biological role
Vanadium is essential to some species, including humans, although we need very little. We take in just 0.01 milligrams each day, and this is more than sufficient for our needs. In some compounds vanadium can become toxic.
Natural abundance
Vanadium is found in about 65 different minerals including vanadinite, carnotite and patronite. It is also found in phosphate rock, certain iron ores and some crude oils in the form of organic complexes.

Vanadium metal is obtained by reducing vanadium(V) oxide with calcium in a pressure vessel. Vanadium of high purity can be obtained by reducing vanadium(III) chloride with magnesium.
Awesome post and explanation. Im interested to start seeing this in the flesh and understanding where it fits in the current palette.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 05-21-2023, 07:10 AM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 158 Posts

I kinda like GT Silver
jazwhite (06-09-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 11:39 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 586 Likes on 336 Posts

GT Silver with the CF Hood + Red Tow Strap really look mean...
Old 08-16-2023, 11:50 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Love GT Silver

Your car looks great in GT Silver. My DD is currently a turbo s coupe and I wanted a stealthy blend in, nobody notice me color so I got GT Silver. And I’m amazed at how nice a silver color it is. Perhaps boring but it always looks good and really hides the dirt. There’s a richness, shine and depth to it that you don’t see on the configurator. I’m struggling on the color for my SRS and can’t have 2 silver Porsches 🤣 so maybe Vanadium. Hmm… as always Grant, thanks for your contribution to RL!

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’m a 2-time GT Silver owner. May not be the most exciting color, but it always looks pretty good for $800 option:

That being said, I would seriously consider Vanadium next time (looks great in official pics - need to see in person).
triode (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 12:09 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Lots of people here seem to avoid the launch spec / colour, I wonder how popular this colour will be.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:25 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,079 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Lots of people here seem to avoid the launch spec / colour, I wonder how popular this colour will be.
That's because other recent launch specs have been ****. SRS launch spec is excellent.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:08 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 786 Posts

Most here avoided Artic Gray on the 4RS also but it had the highest amount produced. Porsche will always produce the launch color in the highest amount with bonus allocations/telling dealers to spec that color if they want a car quicker/etc.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:11 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Most here avoided Artic Gray on the 4RS also but it had the highest amount produced. Porsche will always produce the launch color in the highest amount with bonus allocations/telling dealers to spec that color if they want a car quicker/etc.
Seems odd the colour would prioritize an allocation / production slot - where did you hear that?
Old 08-16-2023, 07:15 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 786 Posts

Seems odd the colour would prioritize an allocation / production slot - where did you hear that?
Multiple dealers and 918 owners told me they picked Arctic Gray for their 4RS to just get one of the first ones/make it through production quickly. They were some of the first cars to get delivered so I could see their reasoning line up with what they said. When Porsche gives out bonus cars already produced, they usually are the launch color as well.
UncleDude (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 07:22 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,079 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Surprising that people would do that for a car that looks like unpainted primer.
MOGI (09-09-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 07:36 PM
dub
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Surprising that people would do that for a car that looks like unpainted primer.
Lmao wut?

Old 08-16-2023, 08:02 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
People made the same joke about Aviator Gray on the old Audi TT, but that was a beautiful color.
dub (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 08:16 PM
dub
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
People made the same joke about Aviator Gray on the old Audi TT, but that was a beautiful color.
And Aviator Gray is literally Chalk....
Old 08-16-2023, 10:20 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dub
And Aviator Gray is literally Chalk....
Look again. I would say Aviator has a lot more blue tones to it than Chalk which is much more neutral of a grey.
dub (08-16-2023)

Quick Reply: The Official Vanadium Grey Metallic Color Thread