Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Likelyhood dealer sells car out from under me

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2023 | 09:59 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

It happened before, and PCNA intervened and basically forced the dealer's hand. If I understand correctly they don't mind what dealers do until a customer signed an order, but after that - they will do their best to enforce the contract even if is not enforceable by law (for example in California there is literally nothing you can do until you drive off the dealer's lot, no matter what contract you signed, no matter how many time the words "non refundable" are written in the contract, both parties can get off the contract).
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSenseOC (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023 | 10:12 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lucifer
It happened before, and PCNA intervened and basically forced the dealer's hand. If I understand correctly they don't mind what dealers do until a customer signed an order, but after that - they will do their best to enforce the contract even if is not enforceable by law (for example in California there is literally nothing you can do until you drive off the dealer's lot, no matter what contract you signed, no matter how many time the words "non refundable" are written in the contract, both parties can get off the contract).
Here is the "source" (so take it with a grain of salt like anything else written on the internet) https://www.reddit.com/r/Porsche/com...eb2x&context=3
Old 05-07-2023 | 07:57 AM
Dyim
Drifting

You paid ADM.

I think you will be fine.

Enjoy your anticipation but don’t let your mind wander to Doomsday scenario.

Your car will not fall off the truck, the ship will not sink. Wait, never mind…..https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-atlantic.html
Seriously, enjoy the anticipation. There is nothing like the feeling of being a kid before Christmas.
Larry Cable (05-07-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 04:47 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

I had this concern when I received my GT4 at MSRP. It was ordered pre COVID and delivered 18 months later after COVID. I was 100% certain my dealership was going to sell it out from under me considering other dealerships were asking 10-20k over but I still purchased at sticker.
Old 05-08-2023 | 11:28 AM
wam22
Instructor

As long as it is paid for/contracted the month it arrives, you will be fine. But the key is communication with your dealer. When the car arrives, tell them when you can come pick it up and confirm they are okay with that timeline.

I have seen ordered cars sold to other customers because the original customer was MIA when it arrived. One dealer sold a GT3 to someone else because the guy was unresponsive to calls/emails/texts for 3 weeks after the car arrived. Turned out he was out of the country and just assumed the dealer would hold the car until he could get back without ever telling them. I have also seen guys keep telling dealers "I will pick it up/pay for it next week" for 3-4 weeks and then the dealer says F-this, we want this six-figure car off our floor plan and books, so you have 3 days to pick it up, if not we are selling it to someone else. Saw that happen on a GT4 and a Turbo S.
Larry Cable (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 01:13 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

One way to reach out without being annoying, is to call your SA once your car has been loaded on a vessel, and let him/her know you do not want the car PREPPED once they receive it.. just the standard PDI, and not to forget ALL the under body aero parts.

If you're financing, make a request to the finance department at said dealership to apply all the correct figures on the on the contract of sale; which you will have to do anyway to wrap up your financial agreement with whatever institution you choose. You can do this at any time, and I believe this move would make you feel a lot more comfortable.
Old 05-08-2023 | 01:32 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

If you are still worrying, you can also just request to do all the paperwork as soon as the car hits stateside. There is no reason they can't do it remote and you have a very valid reason for doing so. I ordered my car out of state and even though i did PECLA delivery, all paperwork was done over the phone and signed via Docusign. I essentially took ownership of the car 2 months before i actually picked it up.
Larry Cable (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 01:41 PM
Darigitin
Track Day

Originally Posted by Xxyion
If you are still worrying, you can also just request to do all the paperwork as soon as the car hits stateside. There is no reason they can't do it remote and you have a very valid reason for doing so. I ordered my car out of state and even though i did PECLA delivery, all paperwork was done over the phone and signed via Docusign. I essentially took ownership of the car 2 months before i actually picked it up.
This will likely be the route I go.