Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

kline vs JCR

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023 | 04:20 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rp2000r
I also love my non silenced race pipe. Drone is very minimal never really notice it but definitely notice the great sound of the exhaust.
Nobody thinks their exhaust drones until they experience a bathroom emergency a long way from a rest stop. You will very quickly learn which rev range to avoid under those circumstances.
The following 3 users liked this post by Reedy:
hammyton (05-03-2023), rescueswimmer (04-12-2024), rp2000r (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 09:55 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reedy
I love my JCR race pipe and get complements about it all the time. I haven't heard a Kline one in person yet but from the videos they sound very good too. Only a few of the aftermarket options get the right flat 6 wail that the car should have come with from the factory.

I only wanted to replace the muffler and from what I can gather Kline only does the whole system, I didnt think it would replace the muffler only.
I'm not sure what you mean by the whole system. Kline sells OAPs, muffler, and headers. I think you are saying that the OAPs and the mufflers have to be installed together as Kline swaps the inputs on the muffler so you may have to buy those two together.

However, I do highly recommend the whole system as the headers really make it.
Old 05-03-2023 | 01:16 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

JCR is still loud even with earplugs on... but I love it anyway
Old 05-03-2023 | 03:06 PM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiftgear
stock oap and headers?
Car is stock besides JCR rear race pipe/non silenced. Valves always open with clamps.

If you lug it in high gears there is some boominess around 1800-2200 or so but I dont like lugging around in a sports car.
The following 2 users liked this post by rp2000r:
jamgolf (07-09-2024), shiftgear (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 03:18 PM
hammyton
Intermediate

I think a better comparison for most of us who dont have access to a used JCR system is whether new JCR pipes vs Kline pipes+oap is a better choice. Both are roughly the same cost....
Old 05-03-2023 | 03:33 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Originally Posted by hammyton
I think a better comparison for most of us who dont have access to a used JCR system is whether new JCR pipes vs Kline pipes+oap is a better choice. Both are roughly the same cost....
for new the JCR rear section costs even more than the Kline stainless setup. certainly makes Kline seem like the more economical option. however you get titanium with JCR. quite a bit more $ if going for Kline inconel

sound-wise JCR seems more high pitched but it seems like consensus on Kline is that it is drone-free
Old 05-03-2023 | 03:57 PM
dmboone25
Pro

Originally Posted by shiftgear
for new the JCR rear section costs even more than the Kline stainless setup. certainly makes Kline seem like the more economical option. however you get titanium with JCR. quite a bit more $ if going for Kline inconel

sound-wise JCR seems more high pitched but it seems like consensus on Kline is that it is drone-free
I have the inconel Kline OAPs + rear section, and you have to go looking for it to find drone. In my experience with it so far (~2K miles), the drone zone can only be found with a specific throttle placement, RPM and decelerating speed combination.

Much less drone than stock, IMO and none of that stock "boomyness"....

It is also definitely high pitched, but might not be quite as high pitched as the JCR, but it sounds very good.
Old 05-03-2023 | 04:43 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

I'm running a CGTS, with the catted, silenced race pipe, with Manifolds. It can get buzzy and some drone in the 2-2400 rpm range. Most of the roads around me are 60+, and we're doing 65, which is 2800 rpm. So windows up it's no problem, in the 55 mph range it can be uncomfortable if you're stuck troddling along with the windows up. I find cracking the windows can be an improvement. It's still a HUGE improvement over the valved Fabspeed I was running, so don't even try to compare it to that. Also, if you're getting the non silenced JCR Race system (which it sounds like you are), you can always sell the non silenced section and buy the silencers from Jonny, and integrate those into your system. The sound above 5k is amazing, and the GTS does have some added insulation compared to the GT4 that Joe above has. There is a small amount of drone, if you go looking for it, but it's very managable and easy to minimize with windows down. Like RP2000R said above, you won't be lugging it around in this range. I love the tone of the JCR and it's well worth it....but obviously roads around you are going to dictate that.
I started with the manifolds, and even with the factory oap and rear box, there was some boominess in the system. While I know others discuss that the KLINE has no drone, I feel like you're sacrificing something to get the no drone. My other piece of logic is that moving most of the silencers/cats to the way back of the car, it's much improved over some other systems, like the Fabspeed, where you have the resonators moved forward. Just my random thoughts, and I'm sure others will state that it doesn't matter the location, but it does come down to frequencies and where those frequencies occur in the rev range, as well as where they hit inside the cabin.

Last edited by Alpha Ice; 05-03-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2023 | 11:12 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

With aftermarket OAPs, how much more volume does adding a kline or jcr silenced rear section add? I want to higher tone, but already feel like the flat6 oap with valves open is plenty loud
Old 05-03-2023 | 11:18 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

I have KLINE exhaust and OAP + CARGRAPHIC sport cats

Love it!!!!!

No drone, perfect!!!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/aX90kkZLVnw
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 11:28 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brandobot
With aftermarket OAPs, how much more volume does adding a kline or jcr silenced rear section add? I want to higher tone, but already feel like the flat6 oap with valves open is plenty loud
I would say not much more volume since the stock box valves open dumps the gas right out of that short stem. Valves closed I would say the aftermarket ones would be louder (this has been my experience).
brandobot (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 11:57 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I would say not much more volume since the stock box valves open dumps the gas right out of that short stem. Valves closed I would say the aftermarket ones would be louder (this has been my experience).
Agree! Adding JCR back box to the Flat6 OAP didn’t appear to add additional volume - at least to my ears. The JCR just changed the exhaust tone.
The following 4 users liked this post by cybers3c:
Alpha Ice (05-04-2023), brandobot (05-04-2023), dub (05-04-2023), UncleDude (05-04-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 11:59 PM
brandobot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cybers3c
Agree! Adding JCR back box to the Flat6 OAP didn’t appear to add additional volume - at least to my ears. The JCR just changed the exhaust tone.
thank you. This gives me more reason to spend more money on the car 🤦🏻‍♂️ haha
cybers3c (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023 | 10:18 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cybers3c
I think that's the one thing some people don't realize when they start with the OAPs, or other items. It isn't always about the louder exhaust, it's about the tone, which the factory does a poor job of when you start leaving the valves open full time, or overriding the factory PSE. Both systems are great at this, each of them goes about a bit differently (Kline back box with special OAPS), or being able to configure your system to your desires/wallets. That last one is probably the most important!
Old 05-04-2023 | 11:23 AM
douriel
Rennlist Member

Here is my Kline system. This is a full system (200 cell headers, link pipes, and muffler).

Last edited by douriel; 05-04-2023 at 11:33 AM.
SupremePower (05-04-2023)

Quick Reply: kline vs JCR