Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

kline vs JCR

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2023 | 07:17 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Default kline vs JCR

I know there are numerous threads and the discussion is lengthy regarding exhausts, but I have an opportunity to purchase a used JCR non-silenced valved race pipe but am deciding between the JCR and running stock OAP or getting the Kline SS oap+valvetronic rear setup. The Kline would run approximately $2k more. I won't pair OAP with the JCR exhaust due to fear of drone and will likely be too loud for my liking.

I like the high pitched tone of the JCR; however like the idea of the extra "pull" from OAP as il_Pete has described.
How much less high pitch is the Kline SS vs JCR? Already watched numerous videos but hard to perceive without listening to them irl

What would you choose?

The following users liked this post:
SupremePower (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023 | 08:58 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiftgear
I know there are numerous threads and the discussion is lengthy regarding exhausts, but I have an opportunity to purchase a used JCR non-silenced valved race pipe but am deciding between the JCR and running stock OAP or getting the Kline SS oap+valvetronic rear setup. The Kline would run approximately $2k more. I won't pair OAP with the JCR exhaust due to fear of drone and will likely be too loud for my liking.

I like the high pitched tone of the JCR; however like the idea of the extra "pull" from OAP as il_Pete has described.
How much less high pitch is the Kline SS vs JCR? Already watched numerous videos but hard to perceive without listening to them irl

What would you choose?
What kind of car?
Old 05-02-2023 | 09:00 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

cayman gts
Old 05-02-2023 | 09:13 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiftgear
cayman gts
You’re going to get some drone / resonance 1800-2400 with the JCR in the cGTS. I had a soul unit on my old GTS and drove it back to back with a JCR silenced rear section and the nuisance noise was the same - it bugged me and I had to try and drive around it. I am running Kline on the spyder and I love it, very little resonance over stock and tremendous tone and volume. I would say if you think you’re on the sensitive side to resonance go with the Kline, if the higher pitch is more important to you go with the JCR.

In my mind now, it is that simple.

The following 4 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Clark_Kent (05-03-2023), dmboone25 (05-03-2023), Jim Rockford (05-03-2023), Unstock (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023 | 09:13 PM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

I think you will still have drone with the JCR because the design is similar to the Fabspeed rear valved section. Neither have a real muffler, more of just a resonator that doesn't really kill drone. I haven't heard the JCR rear, but did have the Fabspeed rear so I'm guessing.

The Kline rear section sounds fabulous. I've run it both with and without Fabspeed headers, and it sounds glorious both ways. I'm about to switch up my configuration again and run JCR inconel equal length headers and JCR inconel OAP's while keeping the Kline inconel rear section. I'll make a post about it in 2-3 weeks.

I would go Kline rear. Contact Eric @SupremePower for the best deal.

Last edited by nothingman; 05-02-2023 at 09:14 PM.
SupremePower (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023 | 09:16 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingman
I think you will still have drone with the JCR because the design is similar to the Fabspeed rear valved section. Neither have a real muffler, more of just a resonator that doesn't really kill drone. I haven't heard the JCR rear, but did have the Fabspeed rear so I'm guessing.

The Kline rear section sounds fabulous. I've run it both with and without Fabspeed headers, and it sounds glorious both ways. I'm about to switch up my configuration again and run JCR inconel equal length headers and JCR inconel OAP's while keeping the Kline inconel rear section. I'll make a post about it in 2-3 weeks.

I would go Kline rear. Contact Eric @SupremePower for the best deal.
Can you mix Kline’s rear section with other makers - I don’t think you can and what would you gain with JCR’s OAP with the Kline rear section?? Why not just run the JCR headers and your Kline system?
SupremePower (05-03-2023)
Old 05-02-2023 | 09:19 PM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Can you mix Kline’s rear section with other makers - I don’t think you can and what would you gain with JCR’s OAP with the Kline rear section?? Why not just run the JCR headers and your Kline system?
I'm about to find out. The JCR inconel equal length headers move the Cat to the rear of the OAP, so it's the only way to run it.
Old 05-02-2023 | 09:20 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingman
I'm about to find out. The JCR inconel equal length headers move the Cat to the rear of the OAP, so it's the only way to run it.
The kline OAP to rear section connection is not like stock, so unless JCR modified theirs to fit the Kline it won’t work.
Old 05-02-2023 | 09:22 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

You have two great options, and Im in the exact same boat as you.

Without going into another exhaust debate… I’d 100% say you need to go with the JCR, as it seems like you’re getting one hell of a deal on it used ~$3000+/-. Love it, then keep it.. hate it, and sell it for equal or greater value than you bought it. Win Win.

PM me with details on the used JCR if you choose Kline
shiftgear (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023 | 11:31 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

JCR will definitely drone with or without an OAP, fyi. I currently have the JCR silenced valved exhaust + Flat6 OAP on my Spyder. I had them installed separately, in stages. Like others have mentioned, OAP alone produces no drone. JCR by itself will produce drone. Both combined produce more drone than the JCR alone.

I have Tinnitus, therefore I am very sensitive to any amount of drone. I keep telling my wife I'm going to uninstall both and go the Kline route, but every time I go for a drive and hear that JCR high pitch scream, I can't do it. I absolutely love the JCR sound. I'm sure I'd love the Kline setup too based on the feedback from others. It's a very personal and tough call, but I don't think you can go wrong with either setup.
Old 05-02-2023 | 11:49 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Get the Kline, it has a very high pitched exotic tone if that's what your after.
UncleDude (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023 | 11:54 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Montaver
Get the Kline, it has a very high pitched exotic tone if that's what you’re after.
Here’s mine, plenty exotic for me and the pitch is much higher than stock. I think the JCR tone is less raspy than this, but I can’t fully remember. I should be seeing another forum member this weekend who’s running the akra OAP and the JCR silenced rear section on his sypder. I remember it sounding really good. Mine sounds this good and no drone, so for my goals it is pretty much perfect. Also another plug for eric @SupremePower - great service and pricing.

Last edited by UncleDude; 05-02-2023 at 11:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
BoxKing (05-03-2023), SupremePower (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 12:52 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

I love my JCR race pipe and get complements about it all the time. I haven't heard a Kline one in person yet but from the videos they sound very good too. Only a few of the aftermarket options get the right flat 6 wail that the car should have come with from the factory.

I only wanted to replace the muffler and from what I can gather Kline only does the whole system, I didnt think it would replace the muffler only.
Alpha Ice (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023 | 01:56 AM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

I also love my non silenced race pipe. Drone is very minimal never really notice it but definitely notice the great sound of the exhaust.
Old 05-03-2023 | 02:11 AM
shiftgear
Advanced

Originally Posted by rp2000r
I also love my non silenced race pipe. Drone is very minimal never really notice it but definitely notice the great sound of the exhaust.
stock oap and headers?

Quick Reply: kline vs JCR