Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dashboard leather worth a warranty request?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 08:14 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 354 Posts

I am pretty OCD and I wouldn't tear my brand new car for this, for possibly getting a new dash that looks exactly the same.
Old 05-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
I am pretty OCD and I wouldn't tear my brand new car for this, for possibly getting a new dash that looks exactly the same.
And yes, there is this as well, will the one they send from Germany be 'better' than what you already have? It could even have a 'natural variation' (notice I didn't say 'flaw') that bothers you even more...

Originally Posted by justince
Oh, I’ve got those too lol but they don’t bother me as much.
@justince Like your seats I would say that this is one of those unique aspects of your particular car... embrace it!
Old 05-01-2023, 01:10 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast

@justince Like your seats I would say that this is one of those unique aspects of your particular car... embrace it!
Nice way to rationalize a design flaw !!! I think the seat issue is related to the fact that there is concavity to the seat in this area making the leather prone to becoming "loose", as well as the fact that it is sewn to alcantara which will stretch, thus contributing more to the leather becoming even looser. If there was no alcantara here, and the bolster was all leather, I think this would be less likely to occur.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:20 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

And yes, there is this as well, will the one they send from Germany be 'better' than what you already have? It could even have a 'natural variation' (notice I didn't say 'flaw') that bothers you even more...

Very true! I most likely will leave it as is. Just needed a sanity check..

Originally Posted by VVG
Nice way to rationalize a design flaw !!! I think the seat issue is related to the fact that there is concavity to the seat in this area making the leather prone to becoming "loose", as well as the fact that it is sewn to alcantara which will stretch, thus contributing more to the leather becoming even looser. If there was no alcantara here, and the bolster was all leather, I think this would be less likely to occur.
This makes sense to me as well.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very true! I most likely will leave it as is. Just needed a sanity check..

This makes sense to me as well.
I find that when I see something like this on the car it takes time for it to sink in, initially I may be more sensitive to the 'new' discovery, so I have found that I need to step back and weigh things out... like you said, a sanity check. I think that your decision is a good one.
Old 05-01-2023, 03:16 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Uniform wrinkling seems easier to just live with. Mine was a very odd localized "patch" that was obvious (when you looked at it).
Old 05-01-2023, 06:26 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

I find that when I see something like this on the car it takes time for it to sink in, initially I may be more sensitive to the 'new' discovery, so I have found that I need to step back and weigh things out... like you said, a sanity check. I think that your decision is a good one.
Agree, in general, but when there are plenty of cars without these issues, then it makes it harder to accept.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
Agree, in general, but when there are plenty of cars without these issues, then it makes it harder to accept.
Huh? Are you saying that you think either of the two dashes pictured have flaws enough to warrant replacing the entire dash surface?
Old 05-02-2023, 11:30 AM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 308 Posts

The risk of introducing a dash rattle would keep me from touching it. I'd just assume this was just the texture of the leather (it IS an animal skin).

I had the dash out in my old Cayenne due to a car accident (got rear-ended and my oversize DD coffee dumped into the vents, so the body shop (very reputable) had to remove the dash to clean it) and they must have either missed, or broken, or it simply came undone... some small clip somewhere which likely held a wiring loom. Because in certain conditions after the accident I'd get a rattle/buzz in the dash that DROVE ME NUTS. I could SMACK the dash and it would go away for a little while.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:24 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Huh? Are you saying that you think either of the two dashes pictured have flaws enough to warrant replacing the entire dash surface?
Oh no, that's not what I meant. I wouldn't replace the dash for this. What I am saying is that is bothersome when there are plenty of cars without these issues.
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 08:31 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

My uneducated guess tells me this is shoddy adhesive work around the screen and not wrinkles with the leather itself. I know red would probably highlight this moreso than other colors, and this picture is probably in the least flattering lighting, but is this worth complaining about for a warranty request? Is this par the course for red? Not even sure if it's worth it considering they'd have to take apart so many panels, or that may just be old school thinking.

Noticed it a day or two after I picked up the car, but a month in I'm starting to wonder if it's worth complaining about.

Would appreciate some comparison photos...if you are interested to replicate lighting like this, have your primary light source originate at a 90 degree angle from the dash (i.e. hold a light directly above the dash or by the cupholders on the side) so the shadows from the wrinkles (if they're there) become more pronounced. In this case, was just a darkish setting with the dome lights on.

I think we all have at least some of what you're complaining about. I know I do. But mine isn't as obvious as yours (black leather), but that doesn't mean I think yours is obvious. Just a little bit more noticeable than mine. I would not ask for a new dash for what I see in your pics. @Adrift yes. I would have done what he did. His was bad.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:11 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
If it’s a design flaw then the replacement part will have the same issue. That said, what is not “rationalizing” going to get you?
Old 05-03-2023, 09:23 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubber_ducky
If it’s a design flaw then the replacement part will have the same issue. That said, what is not “rationalizing” going to get you?
It may have the same issue, or it may not. The design flaw makes it prone to happening, however. There are plenty of seats that are just fine. Some have this issue.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:49 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
It may have the same issue, or it may not. The design flaw makes it prone to happening, however. There are plenty of seats that are just fine. Some have this issue.

I'd like to see a picture of any seats that are "just fine." I've never seen 18 way seats that don't have some degree of wrinkling in the upper corners.

Quick Reply: Dashboard leather worth a warranty request?