Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dashboard leather worth a warranty request?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 12:36 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Dashboard leather worth a warranty request?

My uneducated guess tells me this is shoddy adhesive work around the screen and not wrinkles with the leather itself. I know red would probably highlight this moreso than other colors, and this picture is probably in the least flattering lighting, but is this worth complaining about for a warranty request? Is this par the course for red? Not even sure if it's worth it considering they'd have to take apart so many panels, or that may just be old school thinking.

Noticed it a day or two after I picked up the car, but a month in I'm starting to wonder if it's worth complaining about.

Would appreciate some comparison photos...if you are interested to replicate lighting like this, have your primary light source originate at a 90 degree angle from the dash (i.e. hold a light directly above the dash or by the cupholders on the side) so the shadows from the wrinkles (if they're there) become more pronounced. In this case, was just a darkish setting with the dome lights on.

Last edited by justince; 04-30-2023 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:13 AM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

My dash (black leather) has similar wrinkles on the right corner of the PCM. It's not bad enough that it bothers me (and I'm pretty OCD), and I am concerned about a dash replacement causing more problems like rattles.

I think there was a thread on here last year about someone who did go through with the warranty replacement and I think it went smoothly, though I can't remember for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Rupert16 (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 01:15 AM
Chonson
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 27 Posts

I think @Adrift had this problem and his dash replaced.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:23 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bob78h
My dash (black leather) has similar wrinkles on the right corner of the PCM. It's not bad enough that it bothers me (and I'm pretty OCD), and I am concerned about a dash replacement causing more problems like rattles.

I think there was a thread on here last year about someone who did go through with the warranty replacement and I think it went smoothly, though I can't remember for sure.
This is my chief concern as well as I think they need to literally rip out the whole interior to replace the dash, but I also don't know if there's any legitimate, fact driven merit to that thinking outside of just what makes sense at first glance. Is yours as bad as mine?

Last edited by justince; 04-30-2023 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2023, 04:07 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Yep, had my dash replaced under warranty, no issues. No squeaks / rattles, except once during a snow storm, but they went away right after. Related to the replacement? No idea.

YMMV. I would assume this is very dependent on the skill / patience of the installer.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:03 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Mine has a little bit but it doesn’t bother me. I just take it as is. I have found imperfections on all my Porsche leather dashes.

If this is on a Rolls Royce (out of my price bracket), that’s a different story.

Personally, the long term potential for squeaks and rattles after the replacement would bother me more than the cosmetic aspect. Dash replacement is not a simple job IIRC.

I can not look at the cosmetic defect. But I can’t not hear a squeak.

YMMV.
Old 04-30-2023, 12:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
My uneducated guess tells me this is shoddy adhesive work around the screen and not wrinkles with the leather itself. I know red would probably highlight this moreso than other colors, and this picture is probably in the least flattering lighting, but is this worth complaining about for a warranty request? Is this par the course for red? Not even sure if it's worth it considering they'd have to take apart so many panels, or that may just be old school thinking.

Noticed it a day or two after I picked up the car, but a month in I'm starting to wonder if it's worth complaining about.

Would appreciate some comparison photos...if you are interested to replicate lighting like this, have your primary light source originate at a 90 degree angle from the dash (i.e. hold a light directly above the dash or by the cupholders on the side) so the shadows from the wrinkles (if they're there) become more pronounced. In this case, was just a darkish setting with the dome lights on.
Personally, I think you are expecting too much... leather is a natural material, it is not perfect, nor can it be stretched in 3 different directions at one without should some type of change in the surface layer. If you have to choose the lighting, the brightness and the angle of the camera to show this to us, I will hazard to say that you are looking too hard, and most people would not even notice.

The beauty of leather is its natural differences and imperfections, from what your picture shows IMHO it is not even close to being a warranty issue.

As a comparison, here is mine, I would not dream of tearing apart the car because of what you see on your dash or mine... and possibly having something else crop up in the process!

The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Rupert16 (04-30-2023), UncleDude (05-03-2023), wdr911 (05-03-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 01:36 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast

As a comparison, here is mine, I would not dream of tearing apart the car because of what you see on your dash or mine... and possibly having something else crop up in the process!
Thank you for this! Really just looking for validation to see if this is par the course or not. Also, I don't have to mess with the lighting to show it, just parking it last night I noticed with just the dome lights on and dark out it looked especially bad.

Originally Posted by Adrift
Yep, had my dash replaced under warranty, no issues. No squeaks / rattles, except once during a snow storm, but they went away right after. Related to the replacement? No idea.

YMMV. I would assume this is very dependent on the skill / patience of the installer.
Is the new piece significantly better? Can you share a picture?

Last edited by justince; 04-30-2023 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 03:35 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

I have similar. Porsche leather quality is a joke.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:36 PM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

I didn't even notice those wrinkles on mine until you mentioned it. Like someone else said, leather is natural so I'm not too concerned.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:16 PM
dub
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 136 Posts

Lol...this makes me think of the new trend with the kids and shoes. They literally will walk like idiots to prevent creases in their...leather...shoes! What?!!
Old 04-30-2023, 07:32 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dub
Lol...this makes me think of the new trend with the kids and shoes. They literally will walk like idiots to prevent creases in their...leather...shoes! What?!!
A pair of shoes and a brand new 6 figure car are completely different animals.

I'm not one to really complain about these types of things but it's in a very obvious spot (infotainment) and am curious to see if there's any significant variance with recent production.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:38 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 555 Posts

FWIW, I had creases in my seat leather and they denied the claim, saying it was within spec for a natural material. This is in the shoulder area on the 18-way seats where these creases are not totally uncommon. Seems like a design flaw to me that would allow this to occur in the first place.
Old 04-30-2023, 07:40 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VVG
FWIW, I had creases in my seat leather and they denied the claim, saying it was within spec for a natural material. This is in the shoulder area on the 18-way seats where these creases are not totally uncommon. Seems like a design flaw to me that would allow this to occur in the first place.
Oh, I’ve got those too lol but they don’t bother me as much.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:02 PM
dub
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
A pair of shoes and a brand new 6 figure car are completely different animals.

I'm not one to really complain about these types of things but it's in a very obvious spot (infotainment) and am curious to see if there's any significant variance with recent production.
Lol...sorry my post came off wrong. I'm not making light of your question...it just made me think of the shoe thing!

I have zero knowledge of leather dash problems!

Quick Reply: Dashboard leather worth a warranty request?