Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Picking up my 23 CGTS 4.0 tomorrow, what add-ons will they try to sell me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 01:19 AM
Homiebackrubs
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Picking up my 23 CGTS 4.0 tomorrow, what add-ons will they try to sell me?

So excited to officially be part of the 718 gang tomorrow! I'm picking up my car in the afternoon but I wanted to know what I should expect as far as maintenance plans, warranties, or wheel and tire plans that they will try to sell me. I don't have deep pockets and plan on driving this car as my daily driver 20-30 miles per day most days. I will get PPF on my own, but should I consider getting either the maintenance plan, extended warranty, or tire/wheel plan to save money in the future? I'm also in California so I don't know if that makes things more expensive as far as plans go. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2023, 02:45 AM
slowdown
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I said no to any dealer add ons. Did the break-in oil change at an indy when they installed my VC and OAP. Will get my first oil change at the dealer with the fees one year service. I'll play it by ear afterwards whether I go with my dealer or an indy. The roads by me are pretty well maintained, so I didn't need wheel/tire insurance.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:18 AM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I never got it before but I got wheel and tire from AAA for about $1000 for 5 years
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (04-23-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 07:20 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Wheel and tire sort of makes sense, and you can get that money back if you trade it/sell it before the timer runs out on the warranty. Maintenance plans can also make sense if you already plan to get the car serviced at the dealer, it's just a "now vs later" kind of thing but it will save a few bucks in the long run. I would NOT get it if there is any chance you could move on from the car within 4 years.

The only real upside is that it does sort of help establish a good relationship with the dealer. I got the maintenance plan and wheel and tire on a Macan S I ordered back in 2019 (plus take the car to that dealer for service...), and I feel like it has paid dividends in helping me get allocations and get invited to fun Porsche events by my SA. Other than that I don't really think any of the add-ons are a huge bargain, just another way for the dealer to make more money. In that sense it really is probably best to avoid them.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:26 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I think it somewhat depends on the environment you'll be driving in. For myself, I live in a city undergoing constant construction with nails and steel bits common. So wheel and tire package for me and I did use the tire replacement within the first 6 months.

The PPF I had a local shop put on.

Congrats and have fun! Pic please!
Larry Cable (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 02:50 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Homiebackrubs
So excited to officially be part of the 718 gang tomorrow! I'm picking up my car in the afternoon but I wanted to know what I should expect as far as maintenance plans, warranties, or wheel and tire plans that they will try to sell me. I don't have deep pockets and plan on driving this car as my daily driver 20-30 miles per day most days. I will get PPF on my own, but should I consider getting either the maintenance plan, extended warranty, or tire/wheel plan to save money in the future? I'm also in California so I don't know if that makes things more expensive as far as plans go. Thanks!

I daily my GT4. Because of that i decided to purchase their Platinum Warranty and Maintenance plan along with the Wheel and Tire plan. It added a hefty amount to the final cost of the car but i think it's worth it. All major maintenance are covered and will be for 72 months. Platinum warranty is also for 72 months with a deductible of 200$ so for anything super major (engine or full suspension) i only pay 200$ but anything minor (AC, interior) i dont pay anything. Wheel and Tire i felt was pretty required as Bay Area roads are absolute crap.
Homiebackrubs (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 03:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Here are some thoughts/opinions:

PPF-I contracted this through the dealership. The dealership's shop was the same I have/would have used -- namely Xpel's San Antonio HQ's flagship install facility. This was also cheaper since the dealership is a volume buyer. With that being said, the moons aligned for me -- I always recommend careful research on PPF. It all comes down to the installer, so pick who you're most comfortable with.

Platinum Warranty -- IIRC, this is provided by a third party. If that is the case you could probably shop around or query the RL forum's warranty guy for same policy just cheaper.

Porsche Maintenance Plan -- IIRC, this is not refundable, so make sure you're keeping the car through the duration of the contract. It's not discounted, but rather "locks-in" current rates to protect you from future escalation. Your first maintenance is free, my second year with PCA discount was a couple hundred cheaper than the +1 quote.

Wheel and Tire Policy -- I've lived in the same area and driven same/similar cars for over a decade without issue so I declined. With that being said, I did have a blow-out coming home from Parade. It was $500 to have Porsche of Shreveport get me on my way. Think I was quoted around $2000 at delivery...so about 4 blowouts worth of damage. Of course if you bend a rim with a blowout, then you're probably even. Are you new to these types of cars? Do you routinely experience damage where you live?

All of above is "peace of mind" type stuff, think adding up all my quotes it was north of $15K....good luck.
Old 04-21-2023, 04:24 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Homiebackrubs
The only thing I bought was the PPF because the dealer offered it to me at a price much lower than the same sublet company (the best in the area according to the reviews) would do it for me directly. The finance department needs to produce and they will discount to near cost instead of missing out entirely. And I liked that the dealer was in between me and the PPF shop for accountability reasons.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

make sure they throw in some clear side markers!
The following 3 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
BabyNSX (04-22-2023), HelpMeHelpU (04-23-2023), Zhao (04-22-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 09:35 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

They will try to sell you tint, tire protection, paint protection film, extended warranty, service package and their financing. I don't think you need any of it but opinions vary. If you want any of it they are available afterwards in a lower pressure environment.

Last edited by j-dub; 04-21-2023 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:49 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 246 Posts

They will try to see you everything. I say NO to everything offered in the F&I office. According to my cousin, who’s the GM at a large volume dealer, the largest amount of profit comes from the sales in this office.

I have my own PPF installer here in South Jersey.

I appreciate the first year of maintenance which comes with the car. After that, my Indy Shop is amazing and 50% of dealer cost for service and maintenance. Porsche dealer, $400.00 for an oil change. Indy - $200.00. Dealer $1,600.00 for brakes and rotors per axle. Indy - $800.00.

I don’t purchase extended warranties as I normally don’t keep my cars that long. And, in the event I do, I (a) get to see how the car treats me for 4 years of 50,000 miles and (b) you can walk into any dealer just before the factory warranty expires and purchase an extended plan if/when needed.

No as well to wheel and tire insurance. The most common problem is the occasional curb rash, and they don’t replace the wheels, they repair. My local guy is $125.00 for a typical curb rash touchup. And, if it’s more serious whereas the wheel and tire is damaged, you can always file a comprehensive claim with your auto insurance company. Odds are that the occasional road hazard will be less expensive for me to self insure for tire repair and/or replacement.

Hate to be a kill joy, but most of the time you don’t use enough of the insurance to cover the cost. If you’re worried put $7,500.00 in a 4.5% high yield MMA and self insure.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:02 PM
texasmade
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought PPF, tint, and tire warranty. The dealership really didn't try to sell me on anything. They just asked if I would like to buy extended warranty, ppd maintenance, etc without going into a long story of how I needed each add on. Much better buying experience than when I was at Mercedes getting my C63 S AMG back in 2015 where the finance guy kept going on and on about each item.

Quick Reply: Picking up my 23 CGTS 4.0 tomorrow, what add-ons will they try to sell me?