Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Rough idle after new headers installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 06:46 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnM981
For me it’s what I now believe is called an idle surge. The car idles at around 1600 right at start up, then drops to 1100ish and bounces for about a minute before settling in. It does it regardless of sport exhaust being off or on. I’m convinced it’s something that can be tuned out but @softronics doesn’t seem to agree or just doesn’t care to help with it, I was told it’s because of my headers with sport cats are “bad” but many others with the same setup don’t seem to have the same issue.
This is as obvious as it gets... You had no issues and now you do. Generally in any diagnosis you go back to the last part or change made that then created the issue. In this case it was the headers so I think you answered the question. As I say often I cant fix bad..... If you put the wrong spark plugs in the car and it caused misfires would you expect the software to fix it or just use the proper plug.
The surge may be something to accept with the headers or install another set that doesn't have the issue etc. .
Now as far as bad that depends on the production run and quality. Same file used for 10 cars and no issues with the given exhaust and the another 10 with an issue? The software doesn't changed yet the quality may in the added parts.
Like us on Facebook for updates and promos

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

The following users liked this post:
fueledbymetal (03-20-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 08:06 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

I'm with Scott on this one, and not because I have his tune. I have none of your issues with Soul Street Headers, which also have high-flow cats. If I were pointing fingers at anything they all would be locked on the Fabspeed product.
The following users liked this post:
fueledbymetal (03-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 01:56 PM
ohmoeteru
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, bouncy rpm needle when cold start for 20-40 sec
This started to happen after I installed catless header and OAP from JCR.
Rough idle never feels okay but what can we do lol
Old 04-20-2023, 02:47 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Someone mentioned to me recently that the factory programming of cylinder deactivation can kick in at idle when the engine is fully warmed up an not in sport mode. Can anyone confirm?

Old 04-20-2023, 03:00 PM
ohmoeteru
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j-dub
Someone mentioned to me recently that the factory programming of cylinder deactivation can kick in at idle when the engine is fully warmed up an not in sport mode. Can anyone confirm?
That's interesting.
Let me try it when cold start with sports mode on.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:39 PM
j-dub
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

I will also try to duplicate this rough idle in normal mode. I recently flashed my car to Softronics which has the option that I selected to remove the cylinder deactivation. So far in normal mode I have not noticed the rough idle but will do more testing.

So the hypothesis we are going after here is this is normal operation, AC is off and possibly Auto Start/Stop and cylinder deactivation is present. Now with the headers you are just noticing it more now.

Last edited by j-dub; 04-20-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:00 PM
voods
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have kline catless headers and the cold start is completely fine with or without o2 spacer. I have engine start/stop set to off permanently through PIWIS coding.

Quick Reply: Rough idle after new headers installed