Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 vs 981 GT4 vs 991.1 GTS weekend car

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 01:16 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Montaver
Having gone from a 981 to a 718 - the 718 definitely feels more 'solid'. Its hard to describe but the the 718 has a feeling of singular construction that my 981 didnt have. I suspect there is extra chassis bracing. I bought both cars at 4k miles so its not about bushings being worn out etc.
Agree on the feeling and not sure where it's coming from either. 981 doesn't feel like everyting has play on it but then a 718 (even a base one) feels more solid. Driven lots of both versions.

Note that even with the same spring rates, dampers and sways the 718 GT4 works best with the sway bars in middle/middle whereas the 981 tends to go soft/hard or at least some extra stiffness at the rear to combat understeer. TPC racing noted this difference in their recommended setup as well. There seems to be at least some objectivel difference in terms of body stiffness.
The following 3 users liked this post by JCviggen:
kwikit356 (03-12-2023), Montaver (03-11-2023), TDT (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:45 PM
akhbhaat
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 74 Posts

Interesting summary. After spending a lot of time at the track, whatever car I'm driving pushing it on the road feels stressful. Cops around every corner, deer, pot holes etc etc. I guess if I lived in California with hundreds of miles of canyon to blitz it would be different, but around NYC its very limited unless you drive 1hr+ and even then they don't really compare. I do enjoy just putting the GT4 around though, as it has so much feeling, manual transmission engagement etc. and it puts a smile on my face. But the desire to go full send is always there for sure.
Honestly, yeah, almost all modern sports cars (no matter what they are) are far too fast (and stressful) to push on public roads. People don't seem to believe me when I tell them that today's base 992 Carrera has a performance envelope approaching that of a GT3 RS from just 12 years ago, except that the 992 is much easier to drive so most drivers are actually much faster in the base 992 than they would be an older GT3.

So at low speeds, all you're really left to work with with are inputs, and the GT4 definitely gets those right. The steering, shifter, and throttle response are all very good. I enjoyed the cars a lot when I could get them out into the passes during summers, but that's a multi-hour commitment.

My road warrior of choice was (and still is) a BMW E46 330i ZHP, which is riding on what is effectively 25 year old technology. This was my daily driver for the better part of a decade; the suspension still has almost entirely factory parts but I put urethane bushings, a 3.38 LSD, and a SSK into it to sharpen up the inputs and driving dynamics a bit. ~235 hp with very good hydraulic steering, a high seating position, short gearing and an obsolete sport sedan chassis translates to a car I can push and get a lot of feedback out of without exceeding the speed limit or overdriving my vision...you can actually feel quite a bit of weight transfer on a 30 mph road, unlike a GT4 (or any other modern Porsche). It can't even touch a GT4 for theatrics, and even with the SSK the gearbox is still barely more than mediocre, but it's fun in a different way and I thought they were great complements to each other depending upon the weather and what sort of driving I wanted to do. The only two new cars I can think of that can actually be almost as much fun on normal roads as they are the track are the ND2 Miata and GR86/BRZ. I'm actually thinking of buying the former as a potential replacement for the E46 (if I can bring myself to part with it). I imagine something like an early 80s 911SC is a very engaging road car as well, but I've never driven one so I have no idea.

FWIW I'm thinking of selling the 997 and going back to a GT4...
The following 4 users liked this post by akhbhaat:
Aj718Spy (11-22-2023), baege (03-12-2023), Montaver (03-11-2023), StarRuby (09-07-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:55 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

No one is condemning it? People are so touchy on this forum lol
Touchy? Not me. The OP literally chose one car over the other because, "it felt old". I merely tried to alleviate concerns by suggesting solutions.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:46 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
...a GT4 or GTS 991.1 is more raw and special in lots of ways in terms of looks and the focused nature of the driving experience (maybe not so much with the 991.1 GTS)
Given your choices while owning a 4.0 GTS, I would play with suspension and call it good. If your car isn't speaking to you and you really want to get rid of it, then I would take the next part of this post into consideration.

I've driven a 911.1 GTS on track, currently track a 981 GT4, and haven't driven a 718 GT4/Spyder. IMO these are anything but raw in terms of feel. They're not engaging under 60 mph as someone else mentioned earlier and digital in every way. I feel like they're very well engineered to cut all feeling to inspire confidence to go faster and faster and faster and faster... Even under 15 mph on a skid pad, they are very confidence inspiring while you're doing 360's.

IMHO if you're looing for a raw weekend warrior around town, I would go with a 964 or older car with under 300 HP (I haven't driven 993-996 cars). There's nothing like feeling the little vibrations on your left toes feathering the clutch while downshifting then turning into the corner on "rails". I know "raw" is a very subjective term. For me, feelings at my fingertips and toes is where I draw my starting line for raw.

Last edited by 9eight7; 03-12-2023 at 09:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 9eight7:
akhbhaat (03-12-2023), baege (03-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 vs 981 GT4 vs 991.1 GTS weekend car