Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS Weissach package with no rollcage + Clubsport package

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023 | 06:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Supposedly it's Porsche's choice not a law as evidenced but BMW selling an approved cage here in the US. I think it was in the M4 GTS maybe? There have been other tube frame cars that are similar and the Lotus Elise had one under the body cladding etc...
I dont think so... you used to be able to buy a cage "post delivery" from Porsche as well ... but no longer, they require a VIN ... I dont think the BMW GTS was delivered with one, and a "concealed" cage (one built into the body) is not the same as an exposed one ... point is moot anyway
Old 03-06-2023 | 06:52 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Supposedly it's Porsche's choice not a law as evidenced but BMW selling an approved cage here in the US. I think it was in the M4 GTS maybe? There have been other tube frame cars that are similar and the Lotus Elise had one under the body cladding etc...
That was a low #s LE edition car and the car was wrapped in pool noodles to satisfy DOT.
AFAIU the DOT regs there will have to be protection on exposed hardsurfaces to prevent injury when someone is bouncing around in the vehicle: human size is defined over a broad range here to cover children as well as adults. Part of that stems from the fact that there is NO mandatory federal seat belt law. That also explains the little pillows in the LWBs that are not in ROW vehicles.
Old 03-06-2023 | 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
That was a low #s LE edition car and the car was wrapped in pool noodles to satisfy DOT.
AFAIU the DOT regs there will have to be protection on exposed hardsurfaces to prevent injury when someone is bouncing around in the vehicle: human size is defined over a broad range here to cover children as well as adults. Part of that stems from the fact that there is NO mandatory federal seat belt law. That also explains the little pillows in the LWBs that are not in ROW vehicles.
agree 100%
Old 03-06-2023 | 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Well regardless of what they had to do to homologate it, it is not illegal in the US. Porsche chooses not to offer it with padding. In a cayman it may not even need that as it’s not an occupant area in the other models of the car like it is in the GT3 or M4 (backseat). You can also obviously put one in yourself and it is still street legal.

“All the GTS cars for the U.S. come with an orange-painted, four-point roll cage in place of the usual back seat.“

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/
Old 03-06-2023 | 08:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

ok whatever....
Old 03-06-2023 | 08:45 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Well regardless of what they had to do to homologate it, it is not illegal in the US. Porsche chooses not to offer it with padding. In a cayman it may not even need that as it’s not an occupant area in the other models of the car like it is in the GT3 or M4 (backseat). You can also obviously put one in yourself and it is still street legal.

“All the GTS cars for the U.S. come with an orange-painted, four-point roll cage in place of the usual back seat.“

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/
Nobody said that about being illegal. But that article is showing a EU spec car. Apple and oranges.

And in this it shows pics of the required padding to make it US legal.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/08/31/t...ve-bmw-m4-gts/
Old 03-06-2023 | 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Nobody said that about being illegal. But that article is showing a EU spec car. Apple and oranges.

And in this it shows pics of the required padding to make it US legal.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/08/31/t...ve-bmw-m4-gts/
Actually, that’s exactly what was stated:

“I believe its due to federal (DoT) (safety) regulations AFIAK“

Look, I don’t have a dog in this hunt, I was just pointing out that Porsche could offer the cage if they wanted to. You can also very easily remove the padding if you chose to do so.
Old 03-06-2023 | 09:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Actually, that’s exactly what was stated:

“I believe its due to federal (DoT) (safety) regulations AFIAK“

Look, I don’t have a dog in this hunt, I was just pointing out that Porsche could offer the cage if they wanted to. You can also very easily remove the padding if you chose to do so.
Then why bother to offer a rebuttal showing something non compliant if you don't provide the rest of the necessary and pertinent information?
Old 03-06-2023 | 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Then why bother to offer a rebuttal showing something non compliant if you don't provide the rest of the necessary and pertinent information?
Because the information was wrong. The fact that there are a couple of pads necessary for compliance are not relevant to what was asked and answered. The fact that you think they’re an apples to oranges comparison is myopic at best. Ask Car and Driver why they didn’t include the pads in the paragraph stating the cage would be installed on all US cars.

Why did you bother to weigh in on the discussion of whether or not Porsche could offer the cage in the US with an irrelevant fact and derail the discussion?
Old 03-06-2023 | 09:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Because the information was wrong. The fact that there are a couple of pads necessary for compliance are not relevant to what was asked and answered. The fact that you think they’re an apples to oranges comparison is myopic at best. Ask Car and Driver why they didn’t include the pads in the paragraph stating the cage would be installed on all US cars.

Why did you bother to weigh in on the discussion of whether or not Porsche could offer the cage in the US with an irrelevant fact and derail the discussion?
Why did you bother to respond with irrelevant info after it was already shown why PAG doesn't? I submit that you are the one derailing.
Old 03-06-2023 | 11:41 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

M4 GTS came with a cage, disappointingly though it didn't come with the bucket seats as the EU cars did. Very under appreciated car and they are great value at the moment for a track tool. Its a shame Porsche don't do the same, frankly the US saftey regs are arcane though so I suspect there are some limiting factors. The US have certainly been very slow to adapt the regs on LED headlights for example.
Old 03-07-2023 | 06:14 AM
GTRSP
Track Day

Originally Posted by Prime
Hello.

Could you please clarify exactly what configuration you want, then we can probably be more helpful how to achieve that. Never mind your SA.

Congratulations on an allocation!
I want the steel rollcage but will settle for the much more more expensive Titanium one if the Clubsport package does not come with one. After reading the helpful comment from a member about Australian spec cars, I fed this back to my sales advisor and he checked again and clarified that the Configurator is correct and it was his mistake for giving me the wrong information. So it's all good now.
Old 03-07-2023 | 06:33 AM
Prime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTRSP
I want the steel rollcage but will settle for the much more more expensive Titanium one if the Clubsport package does not come with one. After reading the helpful comment from a member about Australian spec cars, I fed this back to my sales advisor and he checked again and clarified that the Configurator is correct and it was his mistake for giving me the wrong information. So it's all good now.
Glad to hear it's sorted.
In case you didn't know, you can have the cage painted blue or grey to match the interior, its a pretty cheap option and I personally think it looks great depending on your theme.

The following users liked this post:
GTRSP (03-08-2023)
Old 03-07-2023 | 09:34 AM
CaptainFin
Instructor

Woah woah woah. What's this talk of included pillows in the LWB. Have never heard of or seen these. Did I miss out in my delivery?
Old 03-07-2023 | 05:07 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaptainFin
Woah woah woah. What's this talk of included pillows in the LWB. Have never heard of or seen these. Did I miss out in my delivery?
US cars have a little extra cushion beneath the headrest that the rest of the world doesn't have. It's a stupid compliance thing unique to the US.

Last edited by Reedy; 03-07-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: GT4RS Weissach package with no rollcage + Clubsport package