Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Access Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 04:27 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Access Assistance

I want to get behind the mesh and clean out all the sh*t accumulated on top of the diffuser. Some of the ‘stuff’ is caked onto the surface and not removed by a power washer through the mesh.

My assumption is all the debris is sitting on an extension of the front diffuser, but I am not certain the diffuser extends beyond the mesh? Whatever the surface is behind the mesh is what I want to get to.

I look under the front of the car and it is that ‘golf ball-like’ aerodynamic stuff, which I assume is not part of the front diffuser.

So, how to I get to that bottom surface behind the mesh?

For transparency, I am only willing to make a short climb for a short slide. Hopefully a matter of removing a few bolts and having the diffuser and whatever is behind it drop down/off for easy cleaning. Not interested in removing the front bumper or anything like that.

Anyone have a pro tip that will allow me to achieve my objective?

Also, I do not have a lift or anything like that . . . will resort to lying on my back and working in the few inches I have between ground and bottom of the front end.

Avera

Old 02-28-2023, 06:03 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Search for posts by RL Member WestCoast.
He posted a detailed method with pictures to do a thorough job at this.
The following users liked this post:
Avera (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 06:14 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

I have replaced my front splitter (diffuser).... Removing it will NOT allow access behind the grill. The back edge of the splitter is right under the bottom of the grill frame.

Here is the thread that you want, @Westcoast added some information at Post #27 about how to do this.

DIY 'Deep' Cleaning of the front condensers and radiator on a 718 Spyder or GT4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

EDIT: You are not going to want to do this (I think)

Last edited by Fast-Eddie; 02-28-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:23 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
I have replaced my front splitter (diffuser).... Removing it will NOT allow access behind the grill. The back edge of the splitter is right under the bottom of the grill frame.

Here is the thread that you want, @Westcoast added some information at Post #27 about how to do this.

DIY 'Deep' Cleaning of the front condensers and radiator on a 718 Spyder or GT4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

EDIT: You are not going to want to do this (I think)
Thank you . . . yes that is a great thread, however, I have no interest in that amount of deconstruction of the front end.

I was hoping there was an easy access tip, but it seems getting behind that mesh is an all-or-nothing proposition

Avera
Old 02-28-2023, 07:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,671 Likes on 2,717 Posts

@Avera I am afraid unless you manage to achieve some debris removal with compress air you may be out of luck. Others have posted success with air alone, but I would say that I think that they are accepting less than complete cleaning of this area.

By design the ducts and covers work it to essentially seal and ensure the airflow coming through the grills has nowhere to go but through the condensers and radiators add to this, the grills are installed from behind so...

IMHO, the only complete method is to remove the front bumper.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:43 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@Avera I am afraid unless you manage to achieve some debris removal with compress air you may be out of luck. Others have posted success with air alone, but I would say that I think that they are accepting less than complete cleaning of this area.

By design the ducts and covers work it to essentially seal and ensure the airflow coming through the grills has nowhere to go but through the condensers and radiators add to this, the grills are installed from behind so...

IMHO, the only complete method is to remove the front bumper.
Thank you @Westcoast . . . your write-up was incredible, but more than I am willing to bite off at this time.

Your description above is also excellent and explains why there is no easy path to what I am hoping to achieve.

I guess I will just have to live with it until I am more motivated to take on the project.

Avera
Westcoast (02-28-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 10:47 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

I also have some grass and debris around the center radiator and behind the grill mesh. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm contemplating using my shop vac and attaching a drinking straw with a "bendy" tip, and seeing if I can at least vacuum out some of the crud. That may not get debris that is wedged into radiator fins, but might be worth a try as a "less than complete" solution.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:24 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
I also have some grass and debris around the center radiator and behind the grill mesh. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm contemplating using my shop vac and attaching a drinking straw with a "bendy" tip, and seeing if I can at least vacuum out some of the crud. That may not get debris that is wedged into radiator fins, but might be worth a try as a "less than complete" solution.
My problem is not debris, rather, what appears to be bird poop or other whitish chemical that splashed up behind the grille. It is essentially etched into the plastic at this point. No offense to the OCD crowd, but I do not wash my vehicle that frequently and it only became apparent to me in the 2-3 months between washings.

By the time I recognized it the vehicle it was beyond the point of rinsing away with a strong stream of water. So, I need to access the area behind the grille to come up with a solution, which might even include a type of black plastic paint, if there is even such a thing?

At any rate, the idea of removing the bumper, etc is far more off-putting to me than the actual problem at this point. I was hoping there was an easy access approach, but it seems there is not.

Avera
Old 03-01-2023, 12:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
My problem is not debris, rather, what appears to be bird poop or other whitish chemical that splashed up behind the grille. It is essentially etched into the plastic at this point. No offense to the OCD crowd, but I do not wash my vehicle that frequently and it only became apparent to me in the 2-3 months between washings.

By the time I recognized it the vehicle it was beyond the point of rinsing away with a strong stream of water. So, I need to access the area behind the grille to come up with a solution, which might even include a type of black plastic paint, if there is even such a thing?

At any rate, the idea of removing the bumper, etc is far more off-putting to me than the actual problem at this point. I was hoping there was an easy access approach, but it seems there is not.

Avera
Regarding this comment and your image below, this was discussed at length in another thread and is common on newly delivered 718 GT cars: Spyder/GT4 Free Stripes - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Below, here is mine at delivery:

And this is what it looked like last fall before cleaning:

And this is what it looked like after cleaning and paint touch-up:

HTH!
Old 03-01-2023, 01:36 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Regarding this comment and your image below, this was discussed at length in another thread and is common on newly delivered 718 GT cars: Spyder/GT4 Free Stripes - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
@Westcoast

Thank you again . . . but this is different

There is nothing on the actual radiator . . . it is all on the black plastic behind the grille

This was not there even six months ago . . . it became apparent to me between recent car washings, which I openly admit occur infrequently

Sorry for the photo quality, as I am just a simple dude with an iPhone and handheld flashlight. . . regardless, I think you can clearly see the white material on the plastic behind the grille

Avera

Old 03-01-2023, 01:50 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
@Westcoast

Thank you again . . . but this is different

There is nothing on the actual radiator . . . it is all on the black plastic behind the grille

This was not there even six months ago . . . it became apparent to me between recent car washings, which I openly admit occur infrequently

Sorry for the photo quality, as I am just a simple dude with an iPhone and handheld flashlight. . . regardless, I think you can clearly see the white material on the plastic behind the grille

Avera

Now worries, yes in this new picture I can see the white splotches that you are referring to, tough to get at those through the grill screen, although I suspect if you could they should clean up.

Still in your original picture I do see the stripes on the radiator as well, faint but there.

Old 03-01-2023, 02:07 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Now worries, yes in this new picture I can see the white splotches that you are referring to, tough to get at those through the grill screen, although I suspect if you could they should clean up.

Still in your original picture I do see the stripes on the radiator as well, faint but there.

@Westcoast

Haha!

I never noticed those stripes. Now that you point them out I cannot say they are problematic for me . . . BUT if I ever get the gumption to embark upon the project, I will certainly make sure I address ALL the problems lurking behind that grille.

Based on your nice writeup, I cannot envision tackling this project without a lift . . . and I have no plans to get one currently.

Thank you again for all your feedback.

Avera
Westcoast (03-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Access Assistance