Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First? Sprintbooster review for 718 GT4 (Poor man's re-gear)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:41 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 414 Likes on 248 Posts

Correct, everything stays 100% linear. These constant post claiming that 30% pedal is 45% travel at the TB are nonsense being spouted off by those that are clueless about how they work. The video clearly debunks this myth. The reality is that the factory settings between the TB and pedal are non linear, again shown clearly in the video. The SB or Pedal Commander units allow the user to makes things more linear, not less like those that have no idea how any of this works continuously claim.

Just trust the guys that actually have and use them, and ignore the noise from elsewhere. Its one of the best bang for the buck devices you can get as far as improving the driving experience fun factor
The following 2 users liked this post by ICNU:
850tgul (02-21-2023), mc3456 (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:20 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
Correct, everything stays 100% linear. These constant post claiming that 30% pedal is 45% travel at the TB are nonsense being spouted off by those that are clueless about how they work. The video clearly debunks this myth. The reality is that the factory settings between the TB and pedal are non linear, again shown clearly in the video. The SB or Pedal Commander units allow the user to makes things more linear, not less like those that have no idea how any of this works continuously claim.

Just trust the guys that actually have and use them, and ignore the noise from elsewhere. Its one of the best bang for the buck devices you can get as far as improving the driving experience fun factor
People always confuse what a Sprint Booster actually does. People think it is gives more throttle for less pedal push when the reality is the various settings just reduce the built-in throttle delay manufacturers add for safety reasons. Sprint Booster gives a car a much more responsive feel which is seldom a bad thing. Who doesn't love instantaneous pedal response?

Last edited by mc3456; 02-22-2023 at 11:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mc3456:
850tgul (02-21-2023), ICNU (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 12:29 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

Thanks for posting the video. That makes much more sense now.
Looks like a nice mod! Almost like taking it back to drive by cable. Seems like a pretty easy install as well.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:41 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Interesting, might look into this, one thing i always loved about my S2000 was the cable throttle and how instant the response was. I felt the GT4 was close but not nearly as responsive as that car was. Might make putting around town a bit more enjoyable as well.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Who doesn't love instantaneous pedal response?

People who track their cars and know how to modulate a throttle?

As the local CDI I always tell user of these mods to take it out or setup as close to OEM as possible.
You don't need it to be an ON / OFF switch with 2 settings in between...
I have driven cars with these mods and makes the job of modulating the throttle very hard....nice recipe for off track excursions, specially for rookies/students.
The following users liked this post:
MM3.9GT3 (03-31-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 03:19 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
People who track their cars and know how to modulate a throttle?

As the local CDI I always tell user of these mods to take it out or setup as close to OEM as possible.
You don't need it to be an ON / OFF switch with 2 settings in between...
I have driven cars with these mods and makes the job of modulating the throttle very hard....nice recipe for off track excursions, specially for rookies/students.
You can essentially set the sensitivity from stock to very aggressive. There are 18 settings to choose from. It most certainly doesn't need to be an on/off switch.

And advocating for stock throttle delay is like advocating that turbo lag is desired vs. a naturally aspirated engine in terms of response. It's the reason I gravitate towards slower naturally aspirated cars vs. big power turbo cars. I want a 1:1, or as close as I can manage to it, response from every input on a car.

In my experience, especially on non-GT cars, the SB makes the throttle MORE linear, it makes heel and toeing EASIER, and just makes driving enjoyment all the better. I suppose if you've owned a car for thousands and thousands of miles and have become accustomed to its response, it may take some adjustment, but I see having the ability to remove/reduce the stock throttle delay to your liking as only a good thing.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:32 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
You can essentially set the sensitivity from stock to very aggressive. There are 18 settings to choose from. It most certainly doesn't need to be an on/off switch.

And advocating for stock throttle delay is like advocating that turbo lag is desired vs. a naturally aspirated engine in terms of response. It's the reason I gravitate towards slower naturally aspirated cars vs. big power turbo cars. I want a 1:1, or as close as I can manage to it, response from every input on a car.

In my experience, especially on non-GT cars, the SB makes the throttle MORE linear, it makes heel and toeing EASIER, and just makes driving enjoyment all the better. I suppose if you've owned a car for thousands and thousands of miles and have become accustomed to its response, it may take some adjustment, but I see having the ability to remove/reduce the stock throttle delay to your liking as only a good thing.
I'm aware that you can set the sensitivity and always recommend to put it as close to OEM for the track. When we talk about throttle delay you can't compared turbo lag to the milliseconds the ECU might delay a throttle input....if you like the snappiness of instant throttle good for you but IMHO for the track it usually becomes a problem. Seen it even with experienced drivers that supposedly are already used to this type of throttle mod.

BTW...I'm talking specifically about Porsche GT cars in general

Last edited by jmartpr; 02-21-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:36 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I'm aware that you can set the sensitivity and always recommend to put it as close to OEM for the track. When we talk about throttle delay you can't compared turbo lag to the milliseconds the ECU might delay a throttle input....if you like the snappiness of instant throttle good for you but IMHO for the track it usually becomes a problem. Seen it even with experienced drivers that supposedly are already used to this type of throttle mod.
Fair point. I can actually see stock response with a small delay being a bit safer and I'll certainly defer to your on track experience. On the street, I see it as all upside, however.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:37 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

I definitely want to get one of these for my RAM 1500... the pedal response in that thing is so effing annoying and slooooooow

I don't think it would be needed in a GT4 but to each their own
Old 02-21-2023, 03:42 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smegman
I definitely want to get one of these for my RAM 1500... the pedal response in that thing is so effing annoying and slooooooow

I don't think it would be needed in a GT4 but to each their own
It is certainly not as needed on the GT4 as some other cars, without question. Having said that, the difference on my 6MT GT4 was still very noticeable and desirable to me.

The most dramatic improvement I've witnessed was on my W211 E550 with the 5 speed auto. Absolutely transformed that car with its stock octogenarian throttle mapping. Also worked beautifully on my 6MT 128i and 987.2 base 6MT.

On some cars, I feel like it's almost a requirement. On others, like the GT4, is it just more of an enhancement/fine tuning device to tailor the car to my liking.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:35 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,086 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Incorrect. It opens the throttle plate quicker than stock. See the above posted video.

Again, have you ever tried one personally? I've had a half dozen or so on my own personal vehicles and it made a noticeable difference on every vehicle. It's more dramatic than sport chrono.
Yes, plug in black magic that override the DME via a OBD2. That's not even possible. Come on, seriously you believe that marketing BS. You'ev been had.
abarthguy (03-07-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 04:46 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Yes, plug in black magic that override the DME via a OBD2. That's not even possible. Come on, seriously you believe that marketing BS. You'ev been had.
LOL, OK, man. Just know this rube will be blissfully ignorant driving his GT4 down the road with a big stupid smile on his face.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:36 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

It would be interesting to see that same vid with a GT4 throttle body... I'm sure the demo video is using a very slow OEM example to stress a point of the delay. That butterfly valve was moving like it was in thick mud! LOL
Denny Swift (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Delete

Last edited by GrantG; 02-21-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Denny Swift (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 06:04 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

Thanks for posting that, and thanks for sharing your experience. However, I think the throttle response on my Spyder is perfection (you could call it ignorant bliss perhaps). There is zero delay. I have never used the auto re-match, because I do it myself routinely, and it's so easy that it's hard to screw up. In comparison, there is a wee bit of delay on my 992 GTS manual, but even that is so minor that it's almost imperceptible. H&Ting isn't nearly as intuitive as it is in my Spyder, but I'm getting pretty good at it (I'm also learning to love the 7-speed and stop dreaming that it coulda/shoulda been a proper 6-speed). I just blip a little differently in these two cars, just as I steer, brake, release the clutch, shift differently, etc in these two cars.

I honestly don't find any flaws in the throttle response of the Spyder. It's the best, by far, that I've ever experienced. Also, I hate "modes." I absolutely love how the Spyder has just one. I'm not doubting anything you're saying. You probably have more experience with SB than anyone, but you've been using them on every car you've owned for a long time, so that's the feel/experience that feels "right" to you. That's your base expectation. I'm sure it changes the throttle, but I don't know that you can say it fixes any existing problems. What throttle was used in the video? It's different on every car. I'd like to see the stock GT4/Spyder.

But it's great that you found a product that you like so much.

Quick Reply: First? Sprintbooster review for 718 GT4 (Poor man's re-gear)