Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

First? Sprintbooster review for 718 GT4 (Poor man's re-gear)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 06:14 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 179 Posts

I installed the Soler Performance Throttle Controller in my 981 GT4 for evaluation and love the improved throttle response and ability to easily tune the throttle pedal. I have never used a SB and wouldn't have considered installing a throttle controller had it not been provided to me as an evaluation unit. I plugs directly into the throttle pedal and does not take up space in the OBD2 port. It comes with a dash mounted controller, however, I never installed it and just use the iPhone app to connect to the unit via bluetooth. I only need to use the app to change the settings. Otherwise, it's "set it and forget it". There are nine modes (OE, Comfort Sport, Drag Race, Weather, Economy, Valet...) and setting levels(0-9) to suit a person's particular preferences. For me, I prefer the Sport mode at Level 1. Frankly, anything more is too aggressive with a Softronic tune and a full race exhaust. Using it has spoiled me as going back to the OE setting feels sluggish and allows for too much throttle travel. Granted, the unit only remaps the throttle (and nothing more) but it does make the car "feel" more responsive. An added benefit is that it gives the car a Valet mode which I recently used when I left the car for a few days at a shop to have the PPF replaced.

Not a bad upgrade for around $200 - and they are a Rennlist Sponsor.

https://www.solerengineering.com/porsche/se0201-tc

Old 02-21-2023, 06:23 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
I installed the Soler Performance Throttle Controller in my 981 GT4 for evaluation and love the improved throttle response and ability to easily tune the throttle pedal......

Thanks for posting this, this device looks more interesting to me with the Bluetooth App setting capability.... hum... I could use this as an anti-thief device ... LOL
Do you have a picture of the actually hardware that get installed near the gas pedal ?

Last edited by lowbee; 02-21-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:26 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
LOL, OK, man. Just know this rube will be blissfully ignorant driving his GT4 down the road with a big stupid smile on his face.
Here's a good article for you: https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...s-it-worth-it/
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
abarthguy (03-07-2023), MM3.9GT3 (03-31-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 08:13 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Last_935
I installed the Soler Performance Throttle Controller in my 981 GT4 for evaluation and love the improved throttle response and ability to easily tune the throttle pedal. I have never used a SB and wouldn't have considered installing a throttle controller had it not been provided to me as an evaluation unit. I plugs directly into the throttle pedal and does not take up space in the OBD2 port. It comes with a dash mounted controller, however, I never installed it and just use the iPhone app to connect to the unit via bluetooth. I only need to use the app to change the settings. Otherwise, it's "set it and forget it". There are nine modes (OE, Comfort Sport, Drag Race, Weather, Economy, Valet...) and setting levels(0-9) to suit a person's particular preferences. For me, I prefer the Sport mode at Level 1. Frankly, anything more is too aggressive with a Softronic tune and a full race exhaust. Using it has spoiled me as going back to the OE setting feels sluggish and allows for too much throttle travel. Granted, the unit only remaps the throttle (and nothing more) but it does make the car "feel" more responsive. An added benefit is that it gives the car a Valet mode which I recently used when I left the car for a few days at a shop to have the PPF replaced.

SB works much the same way, plugs into the pedal itself, not the OBDII port. Not sure where that came from.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:55 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Thanks for sharing but, honestly, same old drivel. Guy writes that entire piece from a place of bias looking to discredit it WITHOUT EVER TRYING IT HIMSELF.

It appears he writes the original article in 2013. He then spends the next 5 years arguing back and forth in the comments section with people who have actually used the product sharing their real world feedback. This all seems so familiar. Sometime in 2018 he finally tries one and says "it wasn’t suited to how I like to drive and how I use my vehicle" and removes it. Not that it didn't do what it claims or that he could reproduce the results by simply pressing the pedal down harder, just that it didn't suit his style of driving. Shocking that after spending 5 years adamantly fighting for his position that the SB is a waste of money, he wasn't swayed. Hilarious.

Kudos to the author for the effort, at least, and keeping the comments section up which, again, is filled with people WHO HAVE ONE singing its praises.

Bottom line, believe what you want to believe, but pretty hard to ignore the overwhelmingly positive reviews from folks that have tried it while the vast majority of criticisms come from folks who have not. Confirmation bias.....well, I just posted my disappointment with a set of $2,000 Akra link pipes I installed because I was underwhelmed with the change in sound they gave me. Why would I post that criticism yet stand firm on this $300 device?
Old 02-21-2023, 09:52 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing but, honestly, same old drivel. Guy writes that entire piece from a place of bias looking to discredit it WITHOUT EVER TRYING IT HIMSELF.

It appears he writes the original article in 2013. He then spends the next 5 years arguing back and forth in the comments section with people who have actually used the product sharing their real world feedback. This all seems so familiar. Sometime in 2018 he finally tries one and says "it wasn’t suited to how I like to drive and how I use my vehicle" and removes it. Not that it didn't do what it claims or that he could reproduce the results by simply pressing the pedal down harder, just that it didn't suit his style of driving. Shocking that after spending 5 years adamantly fighting for his position that the SB is a waste of money, he wasn't swayed. Hilarious.

Kudos to the author for the effort, at least, and keeping the comments section up which, again, is filled with people WHO HAVE ONE singing its praises.

Bottom line, believe what you want to believe, but pretty hard to ignore the overwhelmingly positive reviews from folks that have tried it while the vast majority of criticisms come from folks who have not. Confirmation bias.....well, I just posted my disappointment with a set of $2,000 Akra link pipes I installed because I was underwhelmed with the change in sound they gave me. Why would I post that criticism yet stand firm on this $300 device?
I'm not debating that the product doesn't work for you and makes the car feel more responsive initially. It changes the pedal sensitivity/calibration, BUT that's all it does. It does not alter speed of throttle body nor in any way add performance.
The 4.0 revs so freely, I personally wouldn't want a more sensitive throttle and prefer it being linear. Again personal preference. If you feel Porsche got the OEM throttle mapping too lazy, then by all means add one of these gimmicks
Old 02-21-2023, 10:23 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

I'm not debating that the product doesn't work for you and makes the car feel more responsive initially. It changes the pedal sensitivity/calibration, BUT that's all it does. It does not alter speed of throttle body nor in any way add performance.
The 4.0 revs so freely, I personally wouldn't want a more sensitive throttle and prefer it being linear. Again personal preference. If you feel Porsche got the OEM throttle mapping too lazy, then by all means add one of these gimmicks
So the video clearly showing the throttle body opening sooner is just a fake, OK.

And never said Porsche got the throttle mapping wrong on the GT4, re-read my posts, I actually said it's far better than most any other car. I'm only stating there was still a material improvement in response with the device on the GT4. I will say that on the base 987.2 and 997.2, Porsche did get it wrong, imo. Far too lazy a throttle for a sport car.

Honestly, until you've tried one and can provide real world feedback, I don't see the need to continually spew the same talking points again and again.

Last edited by 850tgul; 02-21-2023 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:42 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

So the video clearly showing the throttle body opening sooner is just a fake, OK.

And never said Porsche got the throttle mapping wrong on the GT4, re-read my posts, I actually said it's far better than most any other car. I'm only stating there was still a material improvement in response with the device on the GT4. I will say that on the base 987.2 and 997.2, Porsche did get it wrong, imo. Far too lazy a throttle for a sport car.

Honestly, until you've tried one and can provide real world feedback, I don't see the need to continually spew the same talking points again and again.
I have used similar products years ago on Audi's and BMW's, so I have experience with these. Of course the throttle body opens faster, because the pedal input is no longer linear, so a 20% throttle application may now require a 50% opening of the throttle, which will happen faster than a linear application of 50% throttle.

In my opinion, the throttle needs to be linear in order to modulate power. Just put your car on a skidpan with this SB device and try to maintain any kind of drift will be difficult.

Any way, like I said, if works for you. Enjoy it
Old 02-22-2023, 10:31 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 179 Posts

One thing the Soler unit allows is for real world, on the fly A:B testing between the throttle's OE settings and different mapping profiles. This thread got me thinking (usually a dangerous thing). I am planning on scheduling some dyno time in the near future to quantify gains from my other mods. During that session, I'm also going to get them to do some pulls with the OE throttle map and other mapping profiles to see if there is any power/torque delivery differences reflected in the results between the two settings.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:19 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

And his 10 year outdated claim that the throttle position between 50-100% is negated is clearly discredited by looking at the video. It is NOT simply compressing the throttle signal down! 0 pedal and 100% pedal are still completely linear as well as everything in between as clearly shown in the video. The only thing that changes is the TB becomes more linear rather than lagging slightly behind the pedal. If those watching the vid cant clearly see and understand this, then there is much anyone else can do to help.

More proof of this is easily demonstrated by those like myself with a PDK car. Modern cars dont have physical kickdown switches as its all fly by wire and electronically triggered. If what that article and many others believe is true, then the kickdown would occur at 50% pedal travel or even sooner depending on how aggressive the settings were. Except that is doesnt because 100% throttle is still 100% pedal travel no matter the setting, so the kickdown operates at exactly the same point as stock does. The launch control also works exactly as stock, so his info is either false based only on his assumptions of how things work like many others, or simply aged out due to how old that article is

Someone's experience with some unknown device from "years ago" is not relevant to how these specific devices operate today.

Last edited by ICNU; 02-22-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:55 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
People who track their cars and know how to modulate a throttle?

As the local CDI I always tell user of these mods to take it out or setup as close to OEM as possible.
You don't need it to be an ON / OFF switch with 2 settings in between...
I have driven cars with these mods and makes the job of modulating the throttle very hard....nice recipe for off track excursions, specially for rookies/students.
If you know how to modulate the throttle so well then having one will not disrupt a thing. However, if you are unsure of your ability to modulate the throttle with a Sprint Booster...by all means don't get one. The settings are highly-adjustable though from stock to multiple levels of more direct throttle response. Not sure why so many folks are intimidated by these simple devices. What did you ever do before drive-by-wire?
Old 02-22-2023, 07:21 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
If you know how to modulate the throttle so well then having one will not disrupt a thing. However, if you are unsure of your ability to modulate the throttle with a Sprint Booster...by all means don't get one. The settings are highly-adjustable though from stock to multiple levels of more direct throttle response. Not sure why so many folks are intimidated by these simple devices. What did you ever do before drive-by-wire?
Why so defensive? .....If you read again my post you replied to, you will see I recommend to place it in the lowest levels, or take it off.....it's the driver's/owner's choice.

If the user of the mod is not precise because now it takes far less pedal movement to reach % amount of throttle at possibly at faster rate then we have a problem.
What you are saying is that you prefer to have a smaller window of adjustability for a situation that requires exactly the opposite. For the street I probably wouldn't have too much problems with it.

Keep in mind, When you are an instructor on the right seat and your life depends on the guy putting the inputs on the car you want to make sure that person has full control.

BTW...I have been in Motorsports long enough to deal with throttle cables and all the issues behind carburators and FI

Last edited by jmartpr; 02-22-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:29 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Why so defensive? .....If you read again my post you replied to, you will see I recommend to place it in the lowest levels, or take it off.....it's the driver's/owner's choice.

If the user of the mod is not precise because now it takes far less pedal movement to reach % amount of throttle at possibly at faster rate then we have a problem.
What you are saying is that you prefer to have a smaller window of adjustability for a situation that requires exactly the opposite. For the street I probably wouldn't have too much problems with it.

Keep in mind, When you are an instructor on the right seat and your life depends on the guy putting the inputs on the car you want to make sure that person has full control.

BTW...I have been in Motorsports long enough to deal with throttle cables and all the issues behind carburators and FI
Defensive??? I don't even have a Sprint Booster. I've had one before, but not in a while. Could care less about if anyone gets them or likes them. Just correcting people's misperceptions about how they work. Tons of misinformation in this thread.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:53 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mc3456
Defensive??? I don't even have a Sprint Booster. I've had one before, but not in a while. Could care less about if anyone gets them or likes them. Just correcting people's misperceptions about how they work. Tons of misinformation in this thread.
Is does only ONE thing, which is changing throttle input signal and calibration. That's it. Personal preference if you like a non-linear throttle or not. To claim it is equivalent to re-gear or will change torque/power curves is BS.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:44 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Is does only ONE thing, which is changing throttle input signal and calibration. That's it. Personal preference if you like a non-linear throttle or not. To claim it is equivalent to re-gear or will change torque/power curves is BS.
Who made that claim? Certainly not me and certainly not the OP. However, you introduced misinformation about Sprint Booster based on having had some other brand product that is not made by Sprint Booster. Have you considered the possibility that the other product you had on an Audi or whatever (being a different product) might actually work differently than how an actual Sprint Booster does?

Factory drive-by-wire throttles have a built-in throttle delay directly from the manufacturer (intentionally, but not for better performance reasons). You keep referring to Sprint Booster as adding a non-linear pedal when it is actually doing the opposite…a Sprint Booster brings you closer to a MORE linear throttle pedal by allowing you to reduce pre-programmed throttle delay in small increments until you achieve closer to a 1:1 pedal to throttle body relationship (little to no delay) more similar to a car with a conventional throttle cable. Sprint Booster does not advance throttle mapping, it just allows somebody to decide how much throttle input delay they feel is desirable for them. Don’t you see the difference?

Not sure why people feel the need to jump all over the OP for just sharing something he enjoys with other folks who also might enjoy it, OR the need to say the product he is mentioning is BS.

Last edited by mc3456; 02-23-2023 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Growler48 (02-24-2023)

Quick Reply: First? Sprintbooster review for 718 GT4 (Poor man's re-gear)