Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 11:29 AM
P-Car Newbie
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GT4 Coolant Leak

Hi All:

I searched but did come across anything. 2021 GT4 manual with about 8,000 miles. In service date was January 2021. First started getting yellow low coolant warning fall 2021, but it would come and go. Never got coolant temps any higher than 230 degrees. Then one morning I got a red coolant light, pulled right back in the driveway and parked her. Literally drove her 1000 feet so no issues with overheating engine. Consulted with dealer SM who advised to add coolant and instructed me how to do so. That was early December 2022. Drove fine with no issues until this past weekend. Upon returning from a drive I could smell the distinct odor of coolant. No leaks or puddles in garage at all, no low coolant warning light, just the smell of coolant. I am dropping off at the dealer this week but was just wondering if any others had experienced anything similar. I do recall seeing a conversation back last fall regarding GTS and GT4 owners having similar issues but cannot locate it. Any thoughts? I'm a bit disappointed...
Old 02-14-2023, 01:24 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Originally Posted by P-Car Newbie
Hi All:

I searched but did come across anything. 2021 GT4 manual with about 8,000 miles. In service date was January 2021. First started getting yellow low coolant warning fall 2021, but it would come and go. Never got coolant temps any higher than 230 degrees. Then one morning I got a red coolant light, pulled right back in the driveway and parked her. Literally drove her 1000 feet so no issues with overheating engine. Consulted with dealer SM who advised to add coolant and instructed me how to do so. That was early December 2022. Drove fine with no issues until this past weekend. Upon returning from a drive I could smell the distinct odor of coolant. No leaks or puddles in garage at all, no low coolant warning light, just the smell of coolant. I am dropping off at the dealer this week but was just wondering if any others had experienced anything similar. I do recall seeing a conversation back last fall regarding GTS and GT4 owners having similar issues but cannot locate it. Any thoughts? I'm a bit disappointed...
Nope, No-Leaks ...............

Terry
Old 02-14-2023, 01:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

@Wei718
Old 02-14-2023, 01:47 PM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car Newbie
Hi All:

I had a similar problem last year too! If you smell coolant you are leaking! Reason why you are not seeing a puddle is because the coolant is likely puddling on your undertray. Perhaps if your driveway is on a slight incline you might see it drip.
Old 02-14-2023, 01:56 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

You can smell coolant even from a very tiny leak. As an example, my gen2 raptor had a tiny leak at the small hose connecting to its expansion tank. Leak was so small it never made a puddle, it was about 1 drip per couple trips, if that. I think it actually just flashed from the tiny leak when it was hot. But every so often, I could smell it when walking past the front the truck when it was hot. Took about 20k miles before the reservoir was noticeably low. Eventually found the leak by observing residue at the hose, fixed it with a small hose clamp.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:19 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

I had a leaking issue too. A new radiator cap was installed under warranty. Although, I still have to add an ounce or so about every 600-800 miles. No biggie for me.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:29 PM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

I opened up my engine cover 2 weeks ago to install the cargraphic valve controller and surprised there were coolant residue everywhere on top of my engine.

My dealer also replaced the cap as well when I brought it in but they did say that I most likely overfilled it and when the engine got hot coolant expanded and escape out somewhere. Been a few months so far so good!

Quick Reply: GT4 Coolant Leak