Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Overnight for Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 10:07 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
This -^

I used my iCarSoft v3, for the first time, to readout oil levels when I did our yearly oil changes ‘round Christmas time. It was fascinating - for frustrating values of “fascinating.”

The reading has units of millimeter, varies with oil temperature, engine rpm, and is “upside down” (i.e. a lower value means more-full.) So, even though you get “a reading” it’s very hard to correlate it with an amount of oil to add.
I also used the V3 on my 981 3.8, and the readings were as expected….higher number, higher level. Is the sensor inverted on the 4.0?

Give me a dipstick!

Old 02-14-2023, 10:41 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by m3bs
I also used the V3 on my 981 3.8, and the readings were as expected….higher number, higher level. Is the sensor inverted on the 4.0?
More like the software is inverted

My post was based on a ‘21 2.0 and a ‘16 991 3.8. The 4.0 isn’t due until May. The 3.8 is the same ECU generation as your 981 (which would be a GT4 if it has the 3.8.)

The “highest” reading I observed was just after oil fill with engine off. Then starting and running the engine, the reading reduced significantly (due to I assume oil being removed from the (ahem… integrated) sump.)

Then, when adding oil the ‘running’ reading would go down.

<shrug>

I’ll go back and check my notes to verify my memory. But, IIRC it was a “don’t mostly make no sense” thing.

I do remember distinctly seeing both the under-fill warning on the 2.0 followed, a half-quart later, by the over-fill warning only to have the later be replaced by a half-full (-ish) display after an engine start cycle and warm up.

Originally Posted by m3bs
Give me a dipstick!
No $h1+.

There’s a special VAG tool for the Macan for assisting in oil changes.

It’s a …

wait for it

… dip stick.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:09 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,126 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
A dipstick has never failed in my hands.

German over engineering?
I think Porsche abandoned the dipstick because it did fail in many people's hands (including employees). With the Integrated (Wet) Sump cars, you measure the oil with the engine stopped and the oil cold. And with the True Dry Sump cars, you measure the oil with the engine idling at full operating temperature. Porsche developed the computerized system to remove the human error (annoyingly, the dumb people ruined it for the rest of us).

In the air-cooled 911, Porsche improved the weight distribution in the 1972 models by moving the oil tank further forward and was accessed by a little filler door. Lots of people poured gasoline in the oil tank filler and so Porsche had to abandon this objectively better system after one year due to human incompetence...

Last edited by GrantG; 02-14-2023 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kwikit356 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 11:15 AM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts

With low tension rings, thin oil for fuel economy, and hard use; oil consumption is going to occur. Someone would run their engine dangerously low on oil so they need a sensor… and in typical German precision anything worth measuring is worth optimizing… and now here we are.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:36 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 463 Posts

So the CEL is due to a failed radiator fan. Waiting for the part to come in. Hopefully a relatively easy repair.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:06 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Overnight for an oil change? Nope never heard that.

My 2021 Spyder has been in for 2 annual services and both times in/out same day.

Same for several annual services on my 987 Spyder.

You folks are lucky. Mine goes in for an oil change after clocking 600 miles since last change and I get new air filter, cabin air filter, and wiper blades. This is all part of the "2 Year Service" my dealer now features. Car has a total of 2,600 miles on it. Oil changes no longer available ala carte. Our one and only local dealer books 2 to 3 weeks out and turnaround is a minimum of 72 hours because they are swamped with SUV service. They always screw up something and I have to go back. They overfilled my GT3 and triggered a warning light on the drive home.. Factory says run 200 cc below full for track days.

Back on topic, no need to have car sit after an oil fill. Reading on level is instantaneous on all Porsches, dry sump and wet sump.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:04 PM
adsingl
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default AC, brings back memories!

Hopefully they've 1. acquired all the proper equipment for the newest refrigerant - more or less propane with anti-flamatories added) and 2. Learned some thing about the very minor changes (small extra accumulator) since 2018. I had my wife's Q5 lemoned because .... well, tldr version: they couldn't fix the AC!
I was laughing at them telling them they could get a sniffer for this new refrigerant at Graingers for $7xx. when they said they were waiting on a (2nd, first piece was evac/fill machine they said cost $50k from Germany) sniffer for something like $10k. After I finally called customer retention, before I could give them my speil they said " Mr. S, we'd ike to get you a new Q5".
Right answer! Also added some ppf and sent us ...forget, $250/300, told me to take my wife (her car) out for dinner.
Since they couldn't match our gray interior and tow hitch in the US, they had to build it so we drove their Q5 loaner for a good 3 months!
Zero trouble with the 2nd one! Good luck!

Originally Posted by Xxyion
What was your CEL for? Mine was due to my AC malfunctioning but its kept coming back and so at this point has been in the service center for a week and a half.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:08 PM
adsingl
Instructor

Don't have my GT4 yet, but 2019 GTS/2.5T won't read until it's warm, takes even longer right after an oil change for unknown reasons. Some message like "oil level not available". My friend's same spec car is same.

Originally Posted by street
You folks are lucky. Mine goes in for an oil change after clocking 600 miles since last change and I get new air filter, cabin air filter, and wiper blades. This is all part of the "2 Year Service" my dealer now features. Car has a total of 2,600 miles on it. Oil changes no longer available ala carte. Our one and only local dealer books 2 to 3 weeks out and turnaround is a minimum of 72 hours because they are swamped with SUV service. They always screw up something and I have to go back. They overfilled my GT3 and triggered a warning light on the drive home.. Factory says run 200 cc below full for track days.

Back on topic, no need to have car sit after an oil fill. Reading on level is instantaneous on all Porsches, dry sump and wet sump.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:19 PM
adsingl
Instructor

Default One does have to get out of car and check dipstick

In my youth, working in garage, I've seen two engines seize. Both running, one making a bit of noise, other not. Turn them off, won't crank. Open hood, everything seems hot, no oil showing on dipstick! Utter shock by both owners. Really felt bad for one woman, car, kids, appearances seemed she probably couldn't even afford the next quart ...
Nothing to be done at that point.

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think Porsche abandoned the dipstick because it did fail in many people's hands (including employees). With the Integrated (Wet) Sump cars, you measure the oil with the engine stopped and the oil cold. And with the True Dry Sump cars, you measure the oil with the engine idling at full operating temperature. Porsche developed the computerized system to remove the human error (annoyingly, the dumb people ruined it for the rest of us).

In the air-cooled 911, Porsche improved the weight distribution in the 1972 models by moving the oil tank further forward and was accessed by a little filler door. Lots of people poured gasoline in the oil tank filler and so Porsche had to abandon this objectively better system after one year due to human incompetence...
Old 02-14-2023, 10:33 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,865 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by adsingl
Don't have my GT4 yet, but 2019 GTS/2.5T won't read until it's warm, takes even longer right after an oil change for unknown reasons. Some message like "oil level not available". My friend's same spec car is same.
Yes, the in car measurement requires a certain set of conditions. My 21MY 718 OM outlines those conditions.

However I believe the Porsche service equipment doesn’t require the same conditions.
The following users liked this post:
adsingl (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 10:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

However I believe the Porsche service equipment doesn’t require the same conditions.
Oh, it does. But, it’s like getting a reading from a Ouija board.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by street
Reading on level is instantaneous on all Porsches, dry sump and wet sump.
Not since the dip sticks were removed.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:50 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

Yes, the in car measurement requires a certain set of conditions. My 21MY 718 OM outlines those conditions.

It's not only Porsche service equipment, a $20 bluetooth OBD scan tool can give you a live reading of the oil level.

Quick Reply: Overnight for Oil Change?