Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Let's Talk Track Tires - 2023 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 10:16 AM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood. Any idea what target hot would be?
Not a pro, just speaking from a lot of HPDE experience with these tires in their previous iteration, but I have noticed them getting slippery at 37 or so. I actually shoot for 35 or a little under hot.

The following users liked this post:
Bents (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 05:56 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,078 Likes on 472 Posts

Time for new tyres for me. This is after 5 track days on this set, several at one track that is particularly bad on tyres, I thought I was running too much camber (3 degrees) as the inside groove was wearing faster then the outside, but just as we have got down to no tread left on the inside my outside edge has started delaminating.

It would be nice to balance out the front and rear wear a little better as the rears still have lots of life left on them.

Tempted to upsize to 255 on the front but that would mean running N0 compound front and N1 in the rear. I don't think that's a wise thing to do.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:53 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,776 Likes on 972 Posts

Interesting pictures. The difference between the inside half vs the outside half for how it's wearing has gotta just be down to compound differences.

Potentially looks like not enough camber too with delaminating like that but good tread still close by, but I think it's more likely the sidewall is too squishy on that (or the PSI is too far from optimal) and that is generating too much heat and excess wear on the outside lip of the tire. Do you ever heat gun your tires to see what hte range of heat is across the tire at different points?
Old 01-30-2023, 06:00 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Our race team has a pyro but I haven't had a chance to use it on my own car recently. The delaminating is not a terrible concern to me as it happened after several track days at one particularly bad track for tyres and you can see the rest of the tread is gone anyway. I am shifting to start with higher pressures as the optimal temperature window seems to be hit after only 2-3 laps but I have been aiming for pressures to normalise after more like 4-5, so if I can get the temperature and optimal pressures to coincide I should be able to go faster as well, and just come back in once the tyres start to overpressure rather than running out the entire session like I usually do. It depends if I am just cutting happy laps or am being competitive but I do have a slightly different strategy that I plan to employ from now on that will avoid running with the fronts as low as I have been.

Last edited by Reedy; 01-30-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Zhao (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:15 PM
paffinity
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Where are you running that the tires would get destroyed like this? I've done 4 days on the Cup2's that came with the car and it looks nothing like this, including 2 days at COTA.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:44 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paffinity
Where are you running that the tires would get destroyed like this? I've done 4 days on the Cup2's that came with the car and it looks nothing like this, including 2 days at COTA.
My first set of tyres lasted 8 track days but I have also gotten quite a bit faster since then, these days I typically get about 5 out of a set but this is by far the worst a set has been after 5 days. The main culprit is a small track called Luddenham Raceway. It is a really tight little circuit where you use abnormally large amounts of steering lock and their surface is extremely high grip and very abrasive. My previous FWD car would delaminate a brand new set of tyres after just 1 day there. I usually reserve days at this track for when my tyres are due to be replaced anyway. 2 of those days were also in 35C temperatures which probably didn't help.

Here's a lap around the joint.
LWG (02-08-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 01:02 AM
paffinity
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reedy
My first set of tyres lasted 8 track days but I have also gotten quite a bit faster since then, these days I typically get about 5 out of a set but this is by far the worst a set has been after 5 days. The main culprit is a small track called Luddenham Raceway. It is a really tight little circuit where you use abnormally large amounts of steering lock and their surface is extremely high grip and very abrasive. My previous FWD car would delaminate a brand new set of tyres after just 1 day there. I usually reserve days at this track for when my tyres are due to be replaced anyway. 2 of those days were also in 35C temperatures which probably didn't help.

Here's a lap around the joint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8lvwQ-fcI
Seems like a fun track with those tight hairpins. You previously mentioned that you're only using stock sizes. Would definitely be cheaper to downsize to 19" if you're going through tires so quickly.

Also, what are you using for your data? It's really cool to see when you're experiencing understeer and would be great training aid.
Jim Cobb (02-07-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 01:17 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Seems like a fun track with those tight hairpins. You previously mentioned that you're only using stock sizes. Would definitely be cheaper to downsize to 19" if you're going through tires so quickly.

Also, what are you using for your data? It's really cool to see when you're experiencing understeer and would be great training aid.
Yea I know 19 inch would give more and cheaper options but I really want to stick with the factory N1 spec tyres. As close to stock as possible is my whole philosophy with this car.

All data is gathered using the Porsche Track Precision app and rendered with a custom template in Racerender. It takes up a bit of time in post production but reviewing the video and analysing data is part of the fun for me.

Last edited by Reedy; 01-31-2023 at 01:18 AM.
moto_geek (05-19-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 01:51 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 308 Posts

Yea I know 19 inch would give more and cheaper options but I really want to stick with the factory N1 spec tyres. As close to stock as possible is my whole philosophy with this car.

All data is gathered using the Porsche Track Precision app and rendered with a custom template in Racerender. It takes up a bit of time in post production but reviewing the video and analysing data is part of the fun for me.
Why? Do you honestly believe that Porsche built this car 100% perfectly and in no way could you improve upon it? If you bought a Corvette would you stick to ****ty run-flat tires because that's what the car was engineered around? I think Cup2's are pretty good for track use, but there are better things out there for less money.

Last edited by sgreer78; 01-31-2023 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:13 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sgreer78
Why? Do you honestly believe that Porsche built this car 100% perfectly and in no way could you improve upon it? If you bought a Corvette would you stick to ****ty run-flat tires because that's what the car was engineered around? I think Cup2's are pretty good for track use, but there are better things out there for less money.
Because I want my lap time improvements to come from me, while keeping the car the same. I already have a set of OEM wheels so being able to utilise those at the track was also a factor. Along with keeping the option of running ceramics in the future if I decide to.

It also feels pretty damn good when I am faster than guys who show up with their 19 inch RE71-RS’s, and gives me a ready made excuse if I’m not. Don’t think I haven’t thought it all through already.
The following 5 users liked this post by Reedy:
Jim Cobb (02-07-2023), johnsonbri (12-28-2023), jwr9152 (01-31-2023), NastyHabits (01-31-2023), sgreer78 (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 03:15 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 308 Posts
Thumbs up

Because I want my lap time improvements to come from me, while keeping the car the same. I already have a set of OEM wheels so being able to utilise those at the track was also a factor. Along with keeping the option of running ceramics in the future if I decide to.

It also feels pretty damn good when I am faster than guys who show up with their 19 inch RE71-RS’s, and gives me a ready made excuse if I’m not. Don’t think I haven’t thought it all through already.
That's a pretty good reason. At some point though a little car development isn't going to hurt.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:19 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

I do have aftermarket brakes and rotors, clubsport strut tops and rear toe links, those are no brainers. Next on the shopping list might be a DSC controller. I just think Cup 2's are the best all round tyre for my use case, and if I am sticking with them then 20 inch are the way to go.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:45 PM
FAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 58 Posts

I do have aftermarket brakes and rotors, clubsport strut tops and rear toe links, those are no brainers. Next on the shopping list might be a DSC controller. I just think Cup 2's are the best all round tyre for my use case, and if I am sticking with them then 20 inch are the way to go.
be sure to post feedback if you get the DSC. It's on my list as well.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:09 PM
paffinity
Instructor

Okay, how about using slower tires that last longer then?
Hankook RS4 or Continental ECF can take the heat and keep ticking, double (maybe triple) the life of the Cup2's.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:59 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Okay, how about using slower tires that last longer then?
Hankook RS4 or Continental ECF can take the heat and keep ticking, double (maybe triple) the life of the Cup2's.
Or the Goodyear supercar 3, it's faster and last longer.
Tigers10 (02-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Track Tires - 2023 Edition