Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS Hood & Spoiler Stripe, Vinyl Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 04:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Default GT4RS Hood & Spoiler Stripe, Vinyl Alternative

Pruning this off from another thread...

Just have a vinyl wrap put on for the stripe and you'll save 90%+ of the cost of the CXX hood stripe.
The painted hood stripe on the Weissach package GT4-RS looks great, but the difficulties, delays, and cost associated with that CXX option have many (Including me) ordering without the strip, but hoping to do something similar with vinyl striping post delivery. I'm talking with my local PPF/wrap shop about exactly that...

Color match is issue #1.

Several weeks before the car is on the ground, but unclear how close of a match we can get to Arctic Grey with manufactured vinyls, custom printing is also an option. Definitely easier with a non-metallic color, and some colors do have an excellent vinyl match. Having the hood stripe 'float' on the carbon hood will also help as the colors will separated from each other and much harder for the eye to pick up a subtle color/hue difference.

Getting the sizing and spacing perfect is issue #2.

Hoping someone who already has taken delivery of a 4RS with CXX hood/spoiler stripe might be willing to take some measurements? It would be great to know the exact width Porsche is using, and particularly the taper i(f any) front to middle to back, as well as the spacing in the area below the badge.

Example:

Last edited by pfbz; 01-24-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:34 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Pruning this off from another thread...

The painted hood stripe on the Weissach package GT4-RS looks great, but the difficulties, delays, and cost associated with that CXX option have many (Including me) ordering without the strip, but hoping to do something similar with vinyl striping post delivery. I'm talking with my local PPF/wrap shop about exactly that...

Color match is issue #1.

Several weeks before the car is on the ground, but unclear how close of a match we can get to Arctic Grey with manufactured vinyls, custom printing is also an option. Definitely easier with a non-metallic color, and some colors do have an excellent vinyl match. Having the hood stripe 'float' on the carbon hood will also help as the colors will separated from each other and much harder for the eye to pick up a subtle color/hue difference.

Getting the sizing and spacing perfect is issue #2.

Hoping someone who already has taken delivery of a 4RS with CXX hood/spoiler stripe might be willing to take some measurements? It would be great to know the exact width Porsche is using, and particularly the taper i(f any) front to middle to back, as well as the spacing in the area below the badge.

Example:

The following 2 users liked this post by cafe_racer:
IRM (01-25-2023), SJJ28 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:39 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
Looks like a non-WP car with CF look vinyl (or perhaps matte black) added to the hood, roof, and spoiler... Similar idea, but the kind of opposite.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:23 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

The hood has creases down the center. The vinyl lines up with those creases. Approx 1/2" below the emblem following the curve below the bottom of the hood. Corners to you liking.
Wing coverage is width of hood stripe at windshield base.

Nobody is going to run around and measure your vinyl. You're already faking it with doing vinyl.

Have fun finding color matched vinyl to match your paint.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:20 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 524 Likes on 262 Posts

Looks like a non-WP car with CF look vinyl (or perhaps matte black) added to the hood, roof, and spoiler... Similar idea, but the kind of opposite.
Here:

https://instagram.com/carrara_design...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Anthony is amazing just finished an RSR type custom stripe kit for my incoming 4RS. He does work for a lot of big hitters. Race liveries etc. he is also working with really high quality vinyl and can get extremely close to perfect matches. He already has a Weissach stripe in the works for the 4RS.

Anthony 610 348 4667

Just make sure it’s over the PPF as well as the badge over the PPF.

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 01-24-2023 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Color-X Labs can match your paint with vinyl. I have used them a few times in the past and it was exact: https://www.colorxlabs.com/
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Adair (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:25 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by ExMB
The hood has creases down the center. The vinyl lines up with those creases. Approx 1/2" below the emblem following the curve below the bottom of the hood. Corners to you liking.
Wing coverage is width of hood stripe at windshield base.

Nobody is going to run around and measure your vinyl. You're already faking it with doing vinyl.

Have fun finding color matched vinyl to match your paint.
Lot’s of people are willing to help and color matching isn’t that difficult. He can add a WP vinyl stripe if he wants. It’s his car. It’s none of your damn business. Got it?
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
MechEngr1287 (01-30-2023), nineball (01-25-2023), pfbz (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:38 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 113 Posts

Yep, non-WP car. Check this sonderwunsch car. Black vinyl, non-wp.

The following 2 users liked this post by cafe_racer:
IRM (01-25-2023), Mr. Adair (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 11:41 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
Yep, non-WP car. Check this sonderwunsch car. Black vinyl, non-wp.
Looks awesome!
Old 01-25-2023, 01:09 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Here:

https://instagram.com/carrara_design...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Anthony is amazing just finished an RSR type custom stripe kit for my incoming 4RS. He does work for a lot of big hitters. Race liveries etc. he is also working with really high quality vinyl and can get extremely close to perfect matches. He already has a Weissach stripe in the works for the 4RS.

Anthony 610 348 4667

Just make sure it’s over the PPF as well as the badge over the PPF.
Agree. If anyone can do it properly he can.

He did some fine work for our Smokies GT group 4-5 years ago (on his Instagram account)
Old 01-25-2023, 01:37 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,818 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Agree. If anyone can do it properly he can.

He did some fine work for our Smokies GT group 4-5 years ago (on his Instagram account)
Could he do a group buy for the stripes even if they are different colors? I can have my clear bra guy put them on.
BlazinPond (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 07:11 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Lot’s of people are willing to help and color matching isn’t that difficult. He can add a WP vinyl stripe if he wants. It’s his car. It’s none of your damn business. Got it?
Should've known your one of those that has the measurements and goes around measuring cars that have it done to verify that it matches the OEM paint work. Color matching is more than a paint code. Guards Red, for example, has several different paint codes from the factory and even the touch up paint sold by Porsche may or may not have the exact code than the car has but one would be hard pressed to see the difference once applied. Just the fact that the texture of the vinyl surface is different than a painted surface will be enough for some. Additionally the hood emblem is a sticker which either requires replacement or trimming around; its not a R&R badge.

Last edited by ExMB; 01-25-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:42 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Should've known your one of those that has the measurements and goes around measuring cars that have it done to verify that it matches the OEM paint work. Color matching is more than a paint code. Guards Red, for example, has several different paint codes from the factory and even the touch up paint sold by Porsche may or may not have the exact code than the car has but one would be hard pressed to see the difference once applied. Just the fact that the texture of the vinyl surface is different than a painted surface will be enough for some. Additionally the hood emblem is a sticker which either requires replacement or trimming around; its not a R&R badge.
Yep, we all know it’s a sticker on an RS product. It comes off easily with a little heat and sometimes you can reuse but Suncoast has them and you never trim around it. All decals and stripes over the PPF to avoid the shadows. Looks like plenty of people have done plenty of work on this project. So, like I said, if you want to add something positive to the discussion cool. Otherwise, people are tired of you berating them. Got it yet?

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 01-25-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Sean in Texas (01-29-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:43 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Yep, we all know it’s a sticker on an RS product. It comes off easily with a little heat and sometimes you can reuse but Suncoast has them and you never trim around it. All decals and stripes over the PPF to avoid the shadows. Looks like plenty of people have done plenty of work on this project. So, like I said, if you want to add something positive to the discussion cool. Otherwise, people are tired of you berating them. Got it yet?
The sticker is so thin that even with ppf over it I dare you to show me a shadow on a naked CF hood. A competent installer like mine even recommended trimming around it instead of new since there isn't a good mark on the hood to get it placed perfectly afterwards. Once the vinyl striping is done no one but you or maybe concourse crowd is going to run around and measure it to compare to an OEM paint job. I gave the instructions used by my very competent installer who copied OEM pictures. Why don't you talk when you actually get your ADM car and do this yourself.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:24 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 409 Posts

The sticker is so thin that even with ppf over it I dare you to show me a shadow on a naked CF hood. A competent installer like mine even recommended trimming around it instead of new since there isn't a good mark on the hood to get it placed perfectly afterwards. Once the vinyl striping is done no one but you or maybe concourse crowd is going to run around and measure it to compare to an OEM paint job. I gave the instructions used by my very competent installer who copied OEM pictures. Why don't you talk when you actually get your ADM car and do this yourself.
Imperfections that only the Owner (and select few) can spot, are the most annoying of all.

Personally I would put the sticker under PPF.
Good luck with the vinyl.. I think it will look FIRE!!!!

Quick Reply: GT4RS Hood & Spoiler Stripe, Vinyl Alternative