Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily Driven GT4/Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023 | 03:07 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Default Daily Driven GT4/Spyder

For those of you who are daily driving your GT4/Spyders and especially on CA roads, what has the experience been like? I've been somewhat contemplating selling my current daily and dallying the GT4. I have a super short drive to work (less than 1 mile) and even my daily has only seen 9000 miles in a year and a half. Selling the daily can save me about 1000 a month which gives me a bit more play money for the GT4. I did purchase the warranty and maintenance packages including the wheel and tire package for the car so I'm unconcerned about maintenance costs as it's basically already paid for. Car also has full PPF so I'm unconcerned about exterior wear and tear.

My main concern has mostly been if I need to drive either into SF or a not so ideal part of the Bay Area and my girlfriend is using her car. How have you guys gotten past that? Or have you just been "screw it" and just done it? I did daily my S2000 for 2 years and initially had similar fears, however that car was also purchased for 20k vs the 140k I paid for the GT4, so I didn't quite worry about vandalism quite as much.

Other than the financial side, I realized that the GT4 could very well be a decent daily. Based on my trip home in it from LA, the ride is actually softer and more compliant than my current daily (Veloster N) and if I drive it normally with the Auto Start-Stop turned on I can hit 34 MPG on the freeway so gas mileage is actually better in the GT4 (lol).

Any input would be awesome.
Old 01-19-2023 | 03:19 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion
For those of you who are daily driving your GT4/Spyders and especially on CA roads, what has the experience been like? I've been somewhat contemplating selling my current daily and dallying the GT4. I have a super short drive to work (less than 1 mile) and even my daily has only seen 9000 miles in a year and a half. Selling the daily can save me about 1000 a month which gives me a bit more play money for the GT4. I did purchase the warranty and maintenance packages including the wheel and tire package for the car so I'm unconcerned about maintenance costs as it's basically already paid for. Car also has full PPF so I'm unconcerned about exterior wear and tear.

My main concern has mostly been if I need to drive either into SF or a not so ideal part of the Bay Area and my girlfriend is using her car. How have you guys gotten past that? Or have you just been "screw it" and just done it? I did daily my S2000 for 2 years and initially had similar fears, however that car was also purchased for 20k vs the 140k I paid for the GT4, so I didn't quite worry about vandalism quite as much.

Other than the financial side, I realized that the GT4 could very well be a decent daily. Based on my trip home in it from LA, the ride is actually softer and more compliant than my current daily (Veloster N) and if I drive it normally with the Auto Start-Stop turned on I can hit 34 MPG on the freeway so gas mileage is actually better in the GT4 (lol).

Any input would be awesome.
I actually wouldn't want to daily a GT4 if my drive was that short. Frequent start ups from a cold temp are a big source of engine wear. If less than a mile, could you walk or get a bike/e-bike?
The following 5 users liked this post by VVG:
Aj718Spy (01-22-2023), jgreen76 (01-19-2023), MrFunk (01-22-2023), SpyderSenseOC (01-19-2023), Xxyion (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 03:39 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I nearly daily my car in Chicago. I wish I was in cali, wouldn't miss a drive.
The following users liked this post:
Bearrun21 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 03:41 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Go check out my posts. Although I don't daily my GT4, (since I work from home) the GT4 is my only car and does it all.

On Bay Area roads, I HATED my GT4 in stock form. The roads are crap here and with any decent speed (especially on all the local freeways where cars are traveling at 80-90 MPH), the stock suspension can't keep up and the car gets unsettled and does not feel confident inspiring.

With all the work I have done to it, it now does great, but it took a lot of time and money to get there.
Old 01-19-2023 | 03:48 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Get a bicycle or an electric scooter for the commute.
Xxyion (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 03:52 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bents
Get a bicycle or an electric scooter for the commute.
The commute to work is less the issue. I put that info in there more just to point out that I wouldn't be putting something like 20-30 miles each way each day on the car.

However the point about the frequent start up and then shut down does make sense, and in this case a longer commute would actually be better for the cars health.
Old 01-19-2023 | 03:56 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Go check out my posts. Although I don't daily my GT4, (since I work from home) the GT4 is my only car and does it all.

On Bay Area roads, I HATED my GT4 in stock form. The roads are crap here and with any decent speed (especially on all the local freeways where cars are traveling at 80-90 MPH), the stock suspension can't keep up and the car gets unsettled and does not feel confident inspiring.

With all the work I have done to it, it now does great, but it took a lot of time and money to get there.
I have seen a lot of your posts. However I think this might be a case of "driver mod". Im pretty sure you are a much more experienced driver than me and can notice things that I cannot. During my drive back from LA in the GT4 and even for the small amount of driving I have done in the Bay Area so far, I haven't really encountered what you have experienced. And we both know how bad 880 is. I haven't really felt that the car is unsettling, but maybe I'm just not really understanding what's going on underneath me as well as you are. I did daily my S2000 (heavily modded) for a while and that thing has zero traction control (being a 2005) and was pretty unsettling over Bay Area roads so that's kinda been my comparison point.
muiz (01-25-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:17 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

I have seen a lot of your posts. However I think this might be a case of "driver mod". Im pretty sure you are a much more experienced driver than me and can notice things that I cannot. During my drive back from LA in the GT4 and even for the small amount of driving I have done in the Bay Area so far, I haven't really encountered what you have experienced. And we both know how bad 880 is. I haven't really felt that the car is unsettling, but maybe I'm just not really understanding what's going on underneath me as well as you are. I did daily my S2000 (heavily modded) for a while and that thing has zero traction control (being a 2005) and was pretty unsettling over Bay Area roads so that's kinda been my comparison point.

that is probably where our differences of opinions are. I came out a Camaro SS 1LE with MRC, and before that an F80 M3 with Ohlin R/T, and before that an Audi TTRS again with MRC, so my expectation levels are much higher, especially when considering the cost of the GT4.

Last edited by TRZ06; 01-19-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:21 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

that is probably where our differences of opinions are. I came out a Camaro SS 1LE with MRC, so my expectation levels are much higher, especially when considering the cost of the GT4.
ahhh yeah that makes sense. I guess if I could live with the S2k, I shouldn't have an issue with the GT4?

How did you deal with having to drive into less than ideal areas? I assume when you say the GT4 was your daily, you don't have a beater to take instead? I think I'm still in that scared phase where I just assume everyone wants to attempt to break into my car just cuz its a Porsche with a loud color that says GT4 on the back.
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:27 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

If you are passionate about your car, then the your tolerance to NVH goes out the window. If each time you get in the drivers seat it is an occasion, then this negates the negatives of NVH. The GT4 is certainly capable of being a daily, but comes down to your personal tolerance and passion to drive the car. If your daily drive is slow/heavy traffic, then it is unlikely you'll extract any enjoyment.

I rarely use my car for short drives under 15 mins. If the engine isn't going to reach optimal temps on a trip, I leave the car at home and take the SUV. These cars in MT are stiff and notchy until warmed up, and I'm sure PDK would be easier as a daily.
MrFunk (01-22-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:33 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

ahhh yeah that makes sense. I guess if I could live with the S2k, I shouldn't have an issue with the GT4?

How did you deal with having to drive into less than ideal areas? I assume when you say the GT4 was your daily, you don't have a beater to take instead? I think I'm still in that scared phase where I just assume everyone wants to attempt to break into my car just cuz it's a Porsche with a loud color that says GT4 on the back.
I'm not saying that the GT4 PASM is horrible, what I am saying is that it is horrible for a Porsche sports car that starts over $100K and wears a GT badge, that is really what I have the biggest issue with.

As far as how I deal... A care about that for about 6 mths of ownership, after that... while the GT4 is an expensive car, I have the mindset that I bought it as a daily driver and not a garage queen. If you worry too much about something happening, then you are self sabotaging yourself from enjoying the car and at that point, why have it at all. I have good insurance, am mindful of where I park, other than that I just try not to think about it.

After 18K miles, I have a nice size chip on the windshield from a rock hitting it on the freeway, a 1/4 inch curb rash on my wheel, some chips on the front bumper and rear quarter panel., but it is just the price of entry for using a car how it is meant to be used and on a regular basis.

Last edited by TRZ06; 01-19-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:44 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
If you are passionate about your car, then the your tolerance to NVH goes out the window. If each time you get in the drivers seat it is an occasion, then this negates the negatives of NVH. The GT4 is certainly capable of being a daily, but comes down to your personal tolerance and passion to drive the car. If your daily drive is slow/heavy traffic, then it is unlikely you'll extract any enjoyment.

I rarely use my car for short drives under 15 mins. If the engine isn't going to reach optimal temps on a trip, I leave the car at home and take the SUV. These cars in MT are stiff and notchy until warmed up, and I'm sure PDK would be easier as a daily.
very good points. Especially about driving being an occasion. I don't think I'd get bored of this car though even if it becomes my daily. I haven't felt this giddy about a new car since I first stepped into the sports car world with my purchase of a new 2016 BRZ. That was my only car and I drove it every where at every chance that I had. I loved that car. This car gives me the same butterflies and all I want to do is spend more time in the driver seat. That for me is a great indication that I made the right choice in car.

I do also have it with a PDK so I'm not too worried about traffic.
SpyderGent (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:47 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

I'm not saying that the GT4 PASM is horrible, what I am saying is that it is horrible for a Porsche sports car that starts over $100K and wears a GT badge, that is really what I have the biggest issue with.

As far as how I deal... A care about that for about 6 mths of ownership, after that... while the GT4 is an expensive car, I have the mindset that I bought it as a daily driver and not a garage queen. If you worry too much about something happening, then you are self sabotaging yourself from enjoying the car and at that point, why have it at all. I have good insurance, am mindful of where I park, other than that I just try not to think about it.

After 18K miles, I have a nice size chip on the windshield from a rock hitting it on the freeway, a 1/4 inch curb rash on my wheel, some chips on the front bumper and rear quarter panel., but it is just the price of entry for using a car how it is meant to be used and on a regular basis.
I love it. Honestly. I love that you have that mentality. I really should as well. I bought this car to drive it, not so it could sit in my garage waiting for the one sunny day that I have free. I bought the warranty and maintenance packages as well as the wheel and tire package and my insurance deductible for windshields is only 100$. I just need to suck it up and just enjoy what the car is offering to me. It's possible this is just all honeymoon phase since I JUST took delivery and I don't want anything happening to my baby. I'm sure I'll loosen up after the first 6 months as well.

Thanks for your thoughts! They really help put things into perspective.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
easter (01-19-2023), jgreen76 (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:48 PM
jgreen76
Track Day

Originally Posted by VVG
I actually wouldn't want to daily a GT4 if my drive was that short. Frequent start ups from a cold temp are a big source of engine wear. If less than a mile, could you walk or get a bike/e-bike?
I agree with VVG. Daily my GT4, and love every mile. I do about 45 miles a day, round trip M-F.
Always brings smiles.

With such a short commute, the car would never really get to operating temps.
Xxyion (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023 | 04:52 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by jgreen76
I agree with VVG. Daily my GT4, and love every mile. I do about 45 miles a day, round trip M-F.
Always brings smiles.

With such a short commute, the car would never really get to operating temps.
might force me to start exercising so maybe making this my "daily" is the move haha
jgreen76 (01-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Daily Driven GT4/Spyder